Blocking Paddington Basin

WJM

Featured Posts

I did point this out to Tom C but he declined to make the point openly. However, there is hope in that at least one additional mooring is provided! (Or will it be trip boat?)

My experience of that area is that the part right at this end of the arm is never that sunny as it is very much overlooked by the tall buildings.

Wot no railings! Just think all those peeps may fall off the boarding and drown.ninja.gif

No they wont because I can see a security guard waiting ready to pull them out. Anyway they won't fall in, they will jump in for a swim because the water is a lovely blue and crystal clear just like a swimming pool.

..............Dave

No they wont because I can see a security guard waiting ready to pull them out. Anyway they won't fall in, they will jump in for a swim because the water is a lovely blue and crystal clear just like a swimming pool.

..............Dave

To be fair, the water in Paddington Basin is the nicest I've had to get into! (clearing the blade on a Bantam tug)

The article says the pontoons will be built in Cumbria and taken by road to Uxbridge then brought down to Paddington by canal. Are there any canal carrying companies left to do the last leg of the journey, and have they even been asked to tender for the job?

The article says the pontoons will be built in Cumbria and taken by road to Uxbridge then brought down to Paddington by canal. Are there any canal carrying companies left to do the last leg of the journey, and have they even been asked to tender for the job?

Yes there is a canal carrying company in the Uxbridge area.

Tim

A mad, grandiose scheme. The money would have been better spent on st, Marys hospital next door imo.

The scheme to redevelop St Mary's was canned when the costs got to a billion pounds, not sure if a garden would have made that much difference!

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

The Merchant Square website offers us this explanation:

http://merchantsquare.co.uk/news-posts-archive/floating-garden-proposed-canal/

Basically the developer European Land and Property Limited wants the garden there because their residents will like it.

As with the lift bridge, I suspect it's because anything which makes it less likely that boats will be there gets their approval.

To me the key paragraph is this:

Robert Davis MBE DL, Westminster City Council Deputy Leader said: “Merchant Square’s plans to create a floating park in the Paddington Basin will rejuvenate a forgotten section of the canal and create a peaceful oasis for people to enjoy. Our canals were once the arteries that brought the industrial revolution into the heart of London before modern technology left many stretches unused and unloved. The council welcomes this ingenious reinvention of the waterway which gives this part of the Grand Union a new purpose – attracting more businesses and visitors to the area.”

He ingeniously neglects to mention that the basin is now only unused by boats because it's not available to them. It wouldn't be unloved for long if it had visitor moorings, which I imagine would cost a lot less than the park.

The Merchant Square website offers us this explanation:

http://merchantsquare.co.uk/news-posts-archive/floating-garden-proposed-canal/

Basically the developer European Land and Property Limited wants the garden there because their residents will like it.

As with the lift bridge, I suspect it's because anything which makes it less likely that boats will be there gets their approval.

To me the key paragraph is this:

Robert Davis MBE DL, Westminster City Council Deputy Leader said: “Merchant Square’s plans to create a floating park in the Paddington Basin will rejuvenate a forgotten section of the canal and create a peaceful oasis for people to enjoy. Our canals were once the arteries that brought the industrial revolution into the heart of London before modern technology left many stretches unused and unloved. The council welcomes this ingenious reinvention of the waterway which gives this part of the Grand Union a new purpose – attracting more businesses and visitors to the area.”

He ingeniously neglects to mention that the basin is now only unused by boats because it's not available to them. It wouldn't be unloved for long if it had visitor moorings, which I imagine would cost a lot less than the park.

When the first bridge was put in I was assured by BW that it would be open to boaters unless there was a special event being held in there. I didn't believe them them ether .

When the first bridge was put in I was assured by BW that it would be open to boaters unless there was a special event being held in there. I didn't believe them them ether .

When the basin was first openned the basin was full of pontoons which the openning bridge rather implies boats were the plan though at the time we understood the intention to be long term moorings.

Maybe an foi request?

Maybe someone took a bung.

according to a recent post on one of London FB pages a boater has moored outside Paddington Station and been advised by Head of Security for British Land to move on as they have leased the moorings from CRT making the 3 moorings at the Northern end theirs. Nothing to confirm this other than some private signs having been put on the rings apparently. Just thought would mention it in case anyone knows anything else or it impacts any forthcoming plans