Are we all sheep?

matty40s

Featured Posts

The title has been edited, to remove the individuals name.

The site crew and owner are watching the topic, not to moderate or remove it, but because it is useful feedback.

Please remember though that we never publicly comment on moderation action against specific members (because it would be all to easy to bully people by revealing to other people what they had done) so there's going to be no "official" comment on that.

Thanks

Edited by DHutch
Change of language used.

I find it ironic that I had posts deleted with no explanation by someone who now agrees with the OP! Hilarious!!!

It's really no wonder I & a lot of other people I know can't really be bothered either to ask questions or reply on here anymore. Sad really as it used to be a good source of info and banter.

Gareth

• Greenie 1

Personally, I found the old way of a gentle warning was preferable to - lock thread - delete a load of posts - unlock thread with a 'telling off' post - lock thread again. The end.

Most of the time I return to a thread to find it locked with no good idea of why. If a boisterous thread has been getting valid contributions from a couple of dozen contributors, it seems a bit unfair to lock the whole thread because of the posts of one or two people.

Personal attacks should never be justified though, even if they are somewhat understandable when emotions runs high.

• Greenie 1

<snip> perhaps they didn't weed out serial antagonists soon enough...but very soon the new breed of mods came in and laid waste <snip>

An excellent post by Matty. I highlight the quote above because it illustrates, for me, that it's all about balance. There have been some good members lost through over-zealous culling (or who have walked as a result) but there have also been those who's arguments, rather than being 'spirited' which makes the forum more lively, have been destructively 'mean spirited'. As Matty identifies, had one or two of those gone earlier, we may not have been suffering the backlash now.

As I tried to avoid or stop reading those posts which turned into vicious exchanges I'd struggle to identify who some of the real villains were, but I don't doubt we're better off without the worst of them. Sadly, the 'baby has gone out with the bathwater' to an extent, but further infighting about it won't correct that and neither will perceived over-zealous policing: balance and a degree of self-moderation will.

• Greenie 1

I've been logging in to this forum for a few years now, and occasionally post.

I find it brilliant for finding out information. I've learnt so much from here.

I've always had very helpful and informative answers to questions I've asked, although sometimes I end up more confused especially with technical issues.

I enjoy some of the banter but hate it when some turn into spats and points scoring, and also when they veer off the topic of the OP.

Because it's such a busy site and I have limited time, I like to pick and choose what threads I read and can mostly suss what a thread is about by it's title or tag. So it drives me mad when folk don't indicate what a thread is about, so I have to waste time opening it before finding out it's of no interest to me. Admittedly this doesn't take long, but times that by a lot of threads and it mounts up.

An example of this is a recent one by kingswood with the title of 'Simple'. How the heck can one know what that's about without having to open it?

• Greenie 1

Well said Matty, you have put the words together far better than i was thinking of doing!

Ah, the days of Gibbo spitting feathers at someone who had the audacity to to even suggest that he was wrong. That bought it's own humor, knowing full well that when Gibbo had finished, you could imagine him chuckling to himself, seemingly knowing that everyone else was doing thing the same, was a touch of magic that hasn't been seen on this forum for ages.

Yes, there used to be aggravation from some, but that was usually given short thrift by the others and most stuff calmed down quickly.

Now, in my view, the aggravation comes from another part of the forum and, to be honest, is tainted it far worse than a squabble between two knowledgeable forum members could ever do!

In my mind a forum should be a place where you can go and seek help and knowledge from others without having to look over your shoulder to see if the police man is looking!

So, well said Matty and indeed Calt too.

And yes ,we probably are sheep, but there are a lot of them in this field!

Nipper

Well this thread hasn't escaped without some moderation. Well done matty

On the other hand, why put a forum members name into the title in the first place if you were not trying to get moderated?

Richard

I've edited the title a bit smile.png

The site crew and owner are watching the topic, not to moderate or remove it, but because it is useful feedback.

Please remember though that we never publicly comment on moderation action against specific members (because it would be all to easy to bully people by revealing to other people what they had done) so there's going to be no "official" comment on that.

I agree wholeheartedly with Matty, but surely FTS you have had so much feedback on this topic before and yet nothing has changed except some of the stronger comments being deleted and members banned. What will/might be different this time?

Roger

• Greenie 3

I'm at home nursing a badly dammaged cruciate ligament .....

I was banned when I told everyone that another forum member had given me Chlamydia so maybe we are no longer allowed to discuss medical conditions as well as science, politics and religion.

• Greenie 2

That, though it is allowed by the rules of the forum, is wrong IMO.

If a post breaks the rules and is worthy of deletion, delete it - and explain why. But retaining the right to edit posts, while providing no explanation that the words then posted in someone's name aren't their own is a step too far.

This is an example of what happens. The mods do their moderating but don't explain what they've removed or why. So how are we supposed to avoid moderation next time?