Are we all sheep?

matty40s

Featured Posts

So when you and your kin were trying to change the forum into fluffy bunniesville that was OK but when folk are trying to change it back into something less kindergarteny that's not OK. Ah, it all makes sense now!

What? Just the sort of mad comment the would get even ****slightly miffed. And there was me thinking that you were not as stupid as you are often painted.

• Greenie 1

What? Just the sort of mad comment the would get even ****slightly miffed. And there was me thinking that you were not as stupid as you are often painted.

So here we go - classic! You seem to be objecting to attempts to change the forum when you yourself have tried to change it (the other way). When confronted on this point you respond with personal insult. I'm reporting your post to see if the mods react to personal insult only when it is directed to those whose views they share.

• Greenie 4

So when you and your kin were trying to change the forum into fluffy bunniesville that was OK but when folk are trying to change it back into something less kindergarteny that's not OK. Ah, it all makes sense now!

Did you read what Dan has written?

And to the others, I stand for what I said about Dan's comments. I think all sides need to take it into account, both Mods and members.

I would also suggest that a few people don't have a clue how difficult the job of being a Mod on a forum is; you will NEVER get agreed with by every member.

So here we go - classic! You seem to be objecting to attempts to change the forum when you yourself have tried to change it (the other way). When confronted on this point you respond with personal insult. I'm reporting your post to see if the mods react to personal insult only when it is directed to those whose views they share.

What personal insult?

And to the others, I stand for what I said about Dan's comments. I think all sides need to take it into account, both Mods and members.

I would also suggest that a few people don't have a clue how difficult the job of being a Mod on a forum is; you will NEVER get agreed with by every member.

Yes I did read what Dan wrote but I don't see how that relates to my post you quoted. As for the rest of your post it is obviously true but hardly a revelation.

What personal insult?

I wonder if you (and possibly Dan) have read and understood the point of Matty's OP? Not to mention the posts from other members indicating the huge amount of support and agreement he has had.

Nothing that has been written by those asking for a more moderate moderating style is unreasonable or undesirable.

This place is a shadow of it's former self, putting your fingers in your ears and going lalalala put up or shut up isn't the answer.

Edited by gazza

Did you?

It would appear that Dan has taken into account the concerns of those of us who feel the forum has been ruined by over-moderation and, despite your suggestions that we put up or shut up, our concerns did not fall on deaf ears.

Let's hope that the forum settles back to its previous entertaining informative and happy medium and those who want to drag it to extremes (of fluffiness or jaggedness) put up or shut up.

I am neither objecting to attempts at change nor have I or my 'kin' (whatever that means)ever tried to change it, you are seriously deluded. I was simply pointing out the obvious point that if you don't like knocking your head against a brick wall stop and do something else.

It is STILL a free country despite the best efforts of Mrs May and co so it is perfectly possible for those dissatisfied with the current arrangements to either go over to the dark side or start their own forum and they can take the barrack room lawyers with them! That is not what P*** would have said I know:)

The dark side?

Sorry but this is inappropriate.

The "dark side" is narrowboatworld. This is a well established rule on this forum.

We are not talking about narrowboatworld in this topic we are talking about <word removed> ;)

I am neither objecting to attempts at change nor have I or my 'kin' (whatever that means)ever tried to change it, you are seriously deluded. I was simply pointing out the obvious point that if you don't like knocking your head against a brick wall stop and do something else.

You don't post often but I recall you pitching in when there was a move to make the forum less confrontational etc. I suppose you are going to demand that I find that post. Hmmm, I'll see if I can. But even if I have misremembered then the correct course of action is to point this out to me. Dishing out personal insult as the first step is the way to create silly confrontational arguments that the fluffybunnyists seem to hate so much - unless of course it is directed at someone whose views they don't share.

Edit: actually I see you do post quite often, just not on the threads I tend to read, and therefore I'm not sure I'm going to be able to dig up something you said quite a while ago.

Edited by nicknorman

You don't post often but I recall you pitching in when there was a move to make the forum less confrontational etc. I suppose you are going to demand that I find that post. Hmmm, I'll see if I can. But even if I have misremembered then the correct course of action is to point this out to me. Dishing out personal insult as the first step is the way to create silly confrontational arguments that the fluffybunnyists seem to hate so much - unless of course it is directed at someone whose views they don't share.

Edit: actually I see you do post quite often, just not on the threads I tend to read, and therefore I'm not sure I'm going to be able to dig up something you said quite a while ago.

Believe me Nick, PaddingtonBear used to be one of the most flaming and eruptive posters on here in years gone by!!

Calling him Dan makes you come across a spotty, glass wearing ginger hair train anorak, I think your find he prefers to be called Daniel.

Darren

Seems a little insulting for those who like to be called Dan. And politically incorrect in so many ways! Anyway, it was good enough for Dan Dare.

Calling him Dan makes you come across a spotty, glass wearing ginger hair train anorak, I think your find he prefers to be called Daniel.

Darren

This is what we need to lose from the forum, a criticism of a person's post couched in terms of their personal attributes.

Edited to add:

It doesn't matter whether it is derogatory or flattering or somewhere in between, it is just a convention we should have that we don't do it.

Edited by system 4-50
  • Greenie 3

This is what we need to lose from the forum, a criticism of a person's post couched in terms of their personal attributes.

Or alternatively, it's what's quite clearly been missing, anyone with half a brain cell would twig that post was in jest, and even if it wasn't, it provides an angel for some amusing diversion as has started to trickle back into this thread.

Can you tell if Graham is a spotty ginger haired trainspotter by his posts? I can't, maybe Chimney Chain knows something I don't?

A song for those gingers amongst us

https://youtu.be/KVN_0qvuhhw

You hashed the link - no you didn't I ballsed up opening it!!! - yes you did!!! Arghhhhhhh!!!!!

http://youtu.be/KVN_0qvuhhw

Tim Minchin is a bloody genius :cheers:

Edited by gazza

Or alternatively, it's what's quite clearly been missing, anyone with half a brain cell would twig that post was in jest, and even if it wasn't, it provides an angel for some amusing diversion as has started to trickle back into this thread.

Can you tell if Graham is a spotty ginger haired trainspotter by his posts? I can't, maybe Chimney Chain knows something I don't?

You hashed the link.

http://youtu.be/KVN_0qvuhhw

Tim Minchin is a bloody genius :cheers:

Thanks I never get that right and yes he is

And let's all wear Daisy's in our hair and play guitar under an old oak tree shall we. People are far too sensitive these days

Darren

One of the main criticisms levelled against the moderators is deleting something without comment or explanation. If a member has done something wrong, we don't publicly state what that was, because it would be bullying.

Had I simply deleted or locked this thread, there would've been an uproar.

So, in this instance, I subtly altered the title to allow discussion to continue, without being curtailed by my moderating.

So if you do something wrong, and I give you a warning point, you wouldn't mind my saying to everyone else "Dave broke this particular rule and has been warned"?

No.

I could have locked and hidden the thread. But I chose to instead alter the title so it could continue, without curbing discussion.

Yes! But what's a warning point?

I recognise and agree broadly with the OP but I don't think the forum (any forum) is all about the moderation style. It is an easy thing to hang a problem on though.

A forum or rather its threads are a transient thing today's hot topic is tomorrows virtual chip wrapper that kind of goes for the contributors too. A forum will always have people leave and some join-in. In fact I think this is a good thing a forum with only posts from the comfortable few (or even many) core people is a forum in decline and stale.

The number of times the moderators intervene is very few although I agree when it does happen it can have a big effect on the feel of the forum for those involved and it is a balance that is difficult to manage well all the time. There is no doubt there is good moderation and there is poor moderation to be found. However, given the low level of intervention the daily atmosphere is governed by a large degree by the quality of threads and posts we all make.

I do think thing shave been tightened to a degree that has probably taken some of the freedom and spontaneity away. But a vibrant forum should not all be about the controversial posts and the bitchy argumentative exchanges sometimes more about proving a point rather than discussing a topic.

I do not wish to go back to some of the offensive and aggressive arguments and even now I think we could all be more welcoming and understanding of people who are new. I think I saw a post saying that this forum used to be inclusive to all. To be honest I doubt that has ever been true although I do think it has been more so in the past. Try being a shiney boat owner who's wife never drives the boat and is a member of the IWA and is enthusiastic and C&RT's management and see how welcoming this forum will be to you amongst some circles. Often newbie posts follow a familiar pattern some agreement then some questions from the membership then someone seemingly to be different changes the comments to an opposing view and somehow the newbie is now the villain of the patch with other sjoining the band wagon.

Some rambling thoughts perhaps and I would summarise by saying that I think a little more relaxed environment would be good and a little more leeway on subject matter but I really do not want to see a return to what we have had in the recent past. Love to see CarlT more active by the way. If the relaxation and leeway is only for those who wish to aggressively argue, point score and make thinly veiled personal comments ( then claim foul when challenged) then no thanks.

Its good to get the comments out in the open and debate and good that the forum management is allowing this thread to run.

Edited by churchward
  • Greenie 2