Car In Canal at Little Venice

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

After crashing thru the railings the 4x4 caused minor damage to one of the boats - looks like an 'ex-tiller' on the centre boat.

van1.jpg

Cleared away after 48 hours

canal.jpg

Info here :

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/white-van-carrying-three-people-plunges-into-canal-in-londons-little-venice-a3207926.html

Oh dear it is one of those expensive (and fashionable) Merc G wagons by the look of it. Was it stolen for joy ridding?

I guess if the tiller is the only damage the boats may have got off lightly as that vehicle is heavy and robustly built (being a road model of a military design) so could have been quite destructive I imagine.

That looks like a rather expensive AMG G Wagen…..or rather it was!! Rather beloved of the young rich Arabs in London…are we still allowed to say things like that??

That swans neck isn't happy tho…..wonder what other damage its done to the boats??

Cheers

Gareth

Thats DUDLEY belongs to Wood, Hall & Heward, just got back from the K&A lifting/fitting gates,come from a scrap yard (without Hy-ab).

Only just noticed rudder sticking out of front window, best picture I have ever seen. Hope driver ducked.

Thats DUDLEY belongs to Wood, Hall & Heward, just got back from the K&A lifting/fitting gates,come from a scrap yard (without Hy-ab).

Very nice. I was watching a lorry with a Hiab lifting an engine into a boat last week. The boat was about ten metres in front of the lorry

Richard

Only just noticed rudder sticking out of front window, best picture I have ever seen. Hope driver ducked.

Is that what it is?

Goodness you are right! I wondered what that black object was and now you have pointed it out I can see it is the butties rudder.

Three people in the vehicle when it went into the water, and none of them injured. I'd say the driver in particular got lucky, looking at that rudder.

Yeah, I also couldnt work out what it was, but yes, looks close to head location!

Daniel

Or did the Elum just get knocked off and the recovery people stick it through the windscreen so they could recover everything in one go?

Not everything on the internet has a OMG OMG WTF Won't anyone think of the children!!!!!!1111!!!1 explanation tongue.png

Edited to add: But saying that, it does seem have take the bonnet in with it too.

Edited by IanM

Forgive my ignorance I thought an elum was the curved wooded tiller part on a butty ... am I wrong is it the actual wooden rudder?

I think you are correct. Elum is a butty tiller arm. The rudder is, well, a rudder. Elum being a corruption of the word "Helm" as I understand it.

Edited by churchward