First one of the Autumn?

Dinz

Featured Posts

Hire boat came past this afternoon.

Engine running quite hard for his speed.

Chap on towpath tells him to put in reverse for a squirt.

He does so and then goes off at a normal pace leaving a swirling flurry of dead leaves and silt.

Are we the first and can we claim the donut?clapping.gif

A quick " chuck back" ( short blip into reverse ) will dislodge the vortex of fallen leaves that disrupt the flow of water around the blades. I learned this many years ago and used it a dozen times or so yesterday on a short trip from Glascote to Hopwas and back to celebrate a friend's retirement. The autumnal colours through the woods after Hopwas were stunning!

Cheers

Dave

I think the problem varies in severity, depending on the boat swim shape, weed hatch and prop.

Our previous boat with an Axiom prop was very slow in heavily leafed stretches.

Our current boat, a Mike Christian/Tim Tyler shell with the 43hp Beta marine comes with a bigger prop, and hasn't yet caused us any issues.

It's been a minor problem on every boat I've steered for many years. I can't offer any useful comment on the Axiom propeller, never knowingly steered a boat with one fitted. It really is no big deal to chuck back and remove the offending vortex, just few second's worth...you are back underway before you know it. British Rail had " Leaves on the Line "..." Leaves round the blades " is our excuse!

Dave

When faced with a thick carpet of leaves while on our previous boat, I would get the boat straight, then put it in neutral at the last minute, and drift through it.

Worked well until you get in the long wooded sections on the Shroppie.

I've used the chuck back technique to clear leaves for many years, last week I tried just putting the prop into neutral and coasting for 10 sec , leaving out the revers and that seemed just as effective most of the time. Which cuts the wear on the clutch by half.

Top Cat

It's not the leaves on the surface that cause the problem. When a leaf falls in the cut it initially floats, and then over a period of days gradually sinks.

This turns the cut into a kind of leaf soup, and it is the lower ones that get to form a ball around the prop, which "chucking back" temporarily clears.

Eventually the leaves all reach the bottom and the problem is resolved.

God knows how long the leaves take to rot down, 'cos even in summer an emergency stop on a shallow canal can fetch black leaves to the surface.

I've used the chuck back technique to clear leaves for many years, last week I tried just putting the prop into neutral and coasting for 10 sec , leaving out the revers and that seemed just as effective most of the time. Which cuts the wear on the clutch by half.

Top Cat

We found that when the gear change cable on Copperkins broke. Stopping the engine for a few seconds, then re-starting in gear cleared the leaves.

The autumn colours on the Thames are superb this year and a bloke on the BBC last night said its the best year for a long time.

Did have some prop troubles on the Thames a couple of days ago and suspected leaves but a blip of reverse did not fix it. However a trip down the weedhatch suggested it was something leftover from Brentford!.

..............Dave.

Lots and lots of leaves on the N Stratford at the weekend. Lost count of how many reverses.

As a rule of thumb, count the floating leaves as you go by and divide the total by 32,476 to work out how many times you reversed. Course, that's only an approximation. ;)

Been struggling with leaves these last few days, although I think we have also damaged the prop. Picked up a sleeping bag and it stopped the engine dead from 1800 rpm. Since then we seem down on power (have checked through the weed hatch and everything is clear and feels fine)

My day hire boat was 'dumped' a mile from base today. Hirer said it had lost all power. It was just leaves, I showed them how to deal with the problem before I left them to it. I think the truth is that they spent too long in the pub, didn't want to get back in darkness after I'd stressed how important it was to get back within daylight hours angry.png