First one of the Autumn?

Dinz

Featured Posts

I regularly cruise the BCN and use reverse prop all year'round to clear plastic poo bags and weed. I have an Axiom prop which may be over sensitive but it shrugs them off and is much preferable to a trip down the weed-hatch and arm-dip in the toxic brew.

• 4 weeks later...

I regularly cruise the BCN and use reverse prop all year'round to clear plastic poo bags and weed. I have an Axiom prop which may be over sensitive but it shrugs them off and is much preferable to a trip down the weed-hatch and arm-dip in the toxic brew.

Which version of the Axiom have you got, the square blade version or the tapered blade version?

I was nattering with my dad over the weekend (first time we have met up since I got my boat) and he mentioned a prop that they fitted to a trip boat (probably jaycee out of cov basin) that was almost spiral in design (each blade overlapped the previous one by about 50%), he commented that it never picked anything up going forwards but that it would pick everything up in reverse (but it would throw it off again as soon as you went back into forwards gear)

Have to do it after every single bridge hole, narrows etc and quite often several times in between.

Worst place this week was definitely Macclesfield to Congleton inc. Bosley.

Don' know if the way the working boaters use to do, is still used when i first started with a boat that could be loaded I was "advised" to "chuck back" as Dave said & also on approaching " bridge oles" about 2 boats lengths before the bridge open the throttle a tiny amount as the fore end entered the narrows knock it out of gear & shut the throttle quickly the swill of water following the boat will catch up with & lift the stern up & the prop is not sucking the leaves & crap into the bridge narrows & freewheel through as it were with the stern end a few feet out of the "bridge ole" reengage forward gear & reset the throttle While this might seem a pain to do at each structure it was better than getting the prop leaf fouled every time through a bridge it can be done less if conditions allow.