SLOW DOWN!

Derek Porteous

Featured Posts

We used to moor on the L/L and folk are definitely more vocal about boats they perceive to be speeding.

I think part of the reason is there are less places to moor with chains/hooks, there seems to be a lot less piling compared to other canals. If you are tied up to stakes you are probably going to be a little more conscious of the speed of passing boats.

Since we moved to the East Midlands I don't think I have used a mooring pin/stake once.

Some people are just serial complainers, and there is no pleasing them.

Some people seem to have the odd idea that shouting "slow down" at moving boats is all part of being a boater.

Boats going fast don't really bother me. In fact I like to feel my boat move on its mooring. The only time I did complain is when a small speedboat went planing past at about 25mph (I'm not exaggerating!) I just phoned the ANT and reported them as that was dangerous.

Edited by blackrose

Can honestly say in the past 18 months, I've never felt the desire to ask anyone to slow down as they pass us.

There have been a couple of times I thought about asking the passing canoeists if they could maybe put a bit more space between us and them as they splash canal water on or in my open windows that I've just cleaned!! But then again, I never have.

We were asked twice last year to slow down as passing moored boats, once was our fault, just not paying attention and the second time was just some crazy lady who like to hear herself screech for no good apparent reason as we were coasting past her boat and had we been going any slower we would have been going backwards - takes all kinds I guess rolleyes.gif

How do you do that with nappy pins? I find they come free from the piling so annoyingly often that I have to use goat chains exclusively on piling.

Use these ones, rather than the ones that drop out:

piling_hook.jpg

Edited by adam1uk

Some people seem to have the odd idea that shouting "slow down" at moving boats is all part of being a boater.

Boats going fast don't really bother me. In fact I like to feel my boat move on its mooring. The only time I did complain is when a small speedboat went planing past at about 25mph (I'm not exaggerating!) I just phoned the ANT and reported them as that was dangerous.

Like this you mean

09DSC2041web.jpg

When going past a boat club long line of boats at tick over one old codger in front of an audience shouted out for me to slow down as its 4 miles per hour ? and I thought idea was to pass slower than normal speed which generally I usually never reach.

.............................the second time was just some crazy lady who like to hear herself screech for no good apparent reason as we were coasting past her boat and had we been going any slower we would have been going backwards - takes all kinds I guess rolleyes.gif

I know this lady we went past her at Haskayne this year.

I shouted slow down at a racing scull, which was rapidly overtaking us, on the River Avon stretch of the K&A a couple of weeks ago. He shouted back bol**cks, then crashed straight into the fallen tree.

Ken

I would almost pay money to see that happen.

actually find those harder to use than the other ones!

Why not treat Honeystreet to a pair of chains - pretty cheap at £7.99 per chain - and guaranteed never to come off, even when passing boats don't slow down!

Howard wink.png

Use these ones, rather than the ones that drop out:

piling_hook.jpg

I've a couple of these, 1 works brilliantly, the other, almost waste of good metal.

I'm going to get the second reshaped to be same as the first. The difference is only slight, but enough!

Bod

Why not treat Honeystreet to a pair of chains - pretty cheap at £7.99 per chain - and guaranteed never to come off, even when passing boats don't slow down!

Howard wink.png

Must admit Howard I never thought about doing that! Never had a problem with the pins coming off...though actually sometimes have a little trouble getting them off the next day! Might get some chains and try them next time am out ! (got to wait till end of Oct.. bah!)

Replying to post 47 (for some reason I can't do quotes at the moment).

Perhaps surprisingly, the prop is only an ordinary 17 inch one. It's the 3 part python drive which is 12 feet and a monstrosity. It is also this drive which, when it breaks (which my surveyor thinks is well overdue), will cost me a fortune to replace.

Frank.

I shouted slow down at a racing scull, which was rapidly overtaking us, on the River Avon stretch of the K&A a couple of weeks ago. He shouted back bol**cks, then crashed straight into the fallen tree.

Ken

Bath Rowing centre?

Why don't those pillocks have front-view mirror on the boat or fitted to their sporty sunglasses?

Ken

Lol, I hope you rubbed it in by whipping yer camera out and getting some photos :)

There is a free nappy pin at Great Haywood. It was trapped behind the armco, so I gave it a gentle kick. It repaid me by twisting through 90 degrees and slipping into the cut. The magnet only found the piling, and the boat hook couldn't find it.

There is a free nappy pin at Great Haywood. It was trapped behind the armco, so I gave it a gentle kick. It repaid me by twisting through 90 degrees and slipping into the cut. The magnet only found the piling, and the boat hook couldn't find it.

Keep a line through the pin eye when attaching or detatching to armco. When you drop it, it stays on the line.

Chains get double looped for similar reasons.

Cheap adjustable spring rakes are great for fishing out items that teleport into the soup.