SEATING what works for you?

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

High Peeps. We have just gone narrow again after 3 plus years on a fab comfy widebeam with proper big sofa. Well over the years we have tried all sorts of cabin seating including the orrible captains chairs etc. What works for you that we can get thro silly 23 inch front doors?

Tim

I had a really nice big sofa bed on mine... Got rid of it, for some reason... It was the type where the seat and back are hinged together, and the seat slides forward and the back drops down to form a flat bed. This went out through my font doors which are 22" x 48". It had arms on the ends, but they were separate bolt on pieces and only one was used (chaise long style) to make space for some storage at the end. I had to unbolt the arm to get through the door... Very comfortable, highly recommended. Wish I hadn't had to replace the floor so had to get rid...

I bought a lovely new sofa bed from a place in derby last week, they delivered it to sawley visitor moorings and actually stripped it and rebuilt it to get it through the doorway .... absolutely excellent service ...

The sofa bed i chose is one of the modern leather framed ones with matching Jumbo cord cushions on the back and the seats, i paid £345 for it and £5 delivery! , i actually gave them more as i was so pleased with all the effort they went to.

The bed mechanism is a high quality metal action and has a decent mattress and is very comfy

I will dig out the receipt for anyone in the area who may be interested

Rick

Sue found a wonderful Faux leather sofa on the net somewhere.

http://www.furnitureinfashion.net/images/venice-sofa-bed-wht.jpg

The chaps delivering it refused to put it in the boat as they were sure it wouldn't fit through the door, but we got it in with a bit of ripping of cardboard but no damage to the sofa.

I'm told its really comfortable to sleep on and its a lot more practical than the captains style chairs we use to have.

I'll dig out where it was from if people are interested.

Yep, as NC says,

Where space is at a premium, I like Fixed or built-in seating, with storage cupboards underneath, with the addition of Back rests and cushions, you can make it fairly comfortable I m o.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9o0wbubs4318w0/IMAG0047%20%281%29.jpg?dl=0

Although I have got a free standing Helm chair, because the Tumble Dryer fits perfectly underneath !.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vfgoa3714dykc7h/IMAG0248.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Fixed seating with storage bins underneath.

Forgot the picture

89C96972-E4FB-4B1B-AFEA-2761A218109E.jpg

The storage bins underneath are quite large although the one under the bow at the front is a pig to get into. When we eventually get around to having it retrimmed we are having the cushions altered to be in three pieces rather then two which will make access a bit easier.

Also the backrest under the mirror lifts up and reveals a large area which runs under the anchor locker. The infill cushions which make the drop down table into an extra berth should live in there but as we rarely have guests stay onboard we have taken those home and use that area as extra storage.

Tim,

What are you like?????!!

Kev & Trish

Belimey u 2......Welcome aboard. Tell em all about how crap them diesel bubble stoves are lol. Where are you. I am off to work now will be in touch later.

Tim

IKEA poang chairs, very comfortable.

I'll second that. Just don't be tempted to buy those cheapo versions which don't last five minutes.

However, I think on a NB, certainly around 45 foot you never have enough storage so fixed seating with storage is the logical choice. Free standing furniture is a bit of a luxury.

That's why the Poang chairs make sense you can still use the space underneath. Our last boat had them and I'm still contemplating changing our current fixed seating arrangement as the Poangs were much more comfortable.

Seating is very much a personal thing though.

We got Dutailler slide-rockers. Came as a separate rocking-base and separate seat frame plus loose squab and back cushion.

Must admit the squab induces a numb bum after a time. Am considering a new foam for the squab.

IKEA poang chairs, very comfortable.

IKEA Poang chairs

We have two IKEA Poang chairs in our conservatory. donated by our daughter. I don't find them very comfortable at all, they may be OK for young people, but if you are getting on a bit, and have very long legs, getting out of them is a challenge.

I also prefer to feel stable in a chair, rather than constantly bouncing up and down every time you move.

Edited by David Schweizer

We have two IKEA Poang chairs in our conservatory. donated by our daughter. I don't find them very comfortable at all, they may be OK for young people, but if you are getting on a bit, and have very long legs, getting out of them is a challenge.

I also prefer to feel stable in a chair, rather than constantly bouncing up and down every time you move.

We had Poangs for the first 18 months on SA, having had Wilsons Captain's on our previous boat. We found them fine for the first hour or so, but less comfortable for a long evenings sit. We both have long legs.

So we sold them and bought a pair of cheapo Florence recliners which have not lasted too well. After three years the seat squabs are so flat you can feel the frame through them and last November one broke altogether. So on the 15th of that month we ordered two Brindleys from Elite Furnishings. We were told that it would be six weeks delivery but that we might not get them in time for Christmas.

The last bit was right, we're still waiting. I've just had to write (after several unsatisfactory phone calls) and say that if they are not here by a week Friday, which would be 12 weeks, I'm cancelling the order.

We like recliners and have a long saloon, so might well go back to Wilsons.

In keeping with the age of the butty we went for a 1930s look. So we've got a Le Corbusier sofa and a Mies van der Rohe chair.

The sofa was a bit of a nightmare to get through the door and white leather for a narrowboat is not the most practical of finishes.

imgres_zpsb9ki7w9z.jpg

e043-le-corbusier-2-seat_zpsfauae16n.jpg

The motor is much more traditional inside - lots of wood - and the seating is a 1920s three piece Ercol suite which we bought second hand for a few quid nearly forty years ago. It's a bit dilapidated, but is small enough for a narrowboat.

I got a "dog bed" /sofa built in when I redid the boat. It was made to be 6 foot long and 3 foot wide, just high enough for the toilet cassettes, coal and tools to fit underneath. It has free foam on top and it very comfy, although everyone but the dogs sleep on it! It also rolls out to make just under a standard double bed.

I also have a captains chair with massage (ebay bargain). Luckily I made the hatch wide enough to get items in, but these do both come apart.

In keeping with the age of the butty we went for a 1930s look. So we've got a Le Corbusier sofa and a Mies van der Rohe chair.

The sofa was a bit of a nightmare to get through the door and white leather for a narrowboat is not the most practical of finishes.

imgres_zpsb9ki7w9z.jpg

e043-le-corbusier-2-seat_zpsfauae16n.jpg

The motor is much more traditional inside - lots of wood - and the seating is a 1920s three piece Ercol suite which we bought second hand for a few quid nearly forty years ago. It's a bit dilapidated, but is small enough for a narrowboat.

That sofa looks magnificent. Wouldn't suit my boat unfortunately but, just grand.