SEATING what works for you?

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

I have a high backed granny style armchair and a £2 parker knoll 2 seater setee in a green cut moquette probably from the 1970's.

In my Nan's flat we have 2 2 seater parker knoll "Noble" sofas in a light green which I like, Relatives have sat on our sofas and have gone out and bought a parker knoll sofa.

Jamescheers.gif

Poang chairs are comfortable, we bought two, but they take up loads of space. We were forever kicking/tripping over the dog. We are currently altering fixed seating to make it more comfortable and putting the captains chair that came with Wychway back in. It is more comfortable than the poang and takes up less space, including under the gun whales. Not as comfy as the best recliner , Ekornes Stressless which do fit through the double doors into a forward lounge and are comfortable enough for a single temporary snooze station.

Has anyone had any experience of Wilson's 'Avon' chair?

I need to replace a couple of worn out Captain's chairs that I inherited with the boat.

Cheers,

T.

We have a pair of Avons RR. They're pretty comfy for upright sitting and I imagine pretty godd for getting in and out of for those who struggle with these things. They're not so good for slouching in or for snoozing - unless you do those things upright too! They're nicely made and fit well inside a narrowboat as they're not too deep and so don't restrict the walkway too much. The also sit nicely under the gunwhales, and the back profile means there's not much wasted space there - just a few inches gap at the bottom to tuck things behind should you wish.

Thanks Sea Dog.

I might take a trip down to their showroom to take a butcher's (although I'll miss the footstools.)

Cheers,

T.

You're welcome RR. Billy must be coming on quite nicely if soft furnishings have made their way to the top of your list!

You're welcome RR. Billy must be coming on quite nicely if soft furnishings have made their way to the top of your list!

Hi Sea Dog.

I'm Taurus, so I like my creature comforts, but Billy was, in my opinion, in pretty good nick when I bought her.

The outside needs a good buffing, with a little bit of rust to sort out, but that's a job for warmer & lighter days and the interior woodwork needs rubbing down and varnishing. Apart from that (and the soft furnishings) it's all good.

The trouble with boat life is that it's easy to slip into 'mañana' mode. Too laid back, too comfortable: apart from filling the coal hod, water, diesel, emptying the loo, bins, working, family commitments etc. etc. etc.

I love it all.

Cheers,

T.

The trouble with boat life is that it's easy to slip into 'mañana' mode. Too laid back, too comfortable: apart from filling the coal hod, water, diesel, emptying the loo, bins, working, family commitments etc. etc. etc.

I love it all.

Cheers,

T.

You can do that for large chunks of time, years even, and don't do anything to the boat but live on it, then every so often get your tools and wallet out and seemingly spend every moment and penny you have making the boat better.

Pump out seating:

52a4d1c0-ebfe-43b5-98e7-c7896a5e3e6d_zps

Nice and comfy. My widebeam was too. trouble is in reality ya cant go boating proper in the uk over 7ft beam, tis a shame but tis fact. I can and have already been back to the mucky duck at Fradley since going narrow again. Walking like a crab soon seems like the thing to do. Widebeams are soooooo much comfier though.

biggrin.png

Tim

Nice and comfy. My widebeam was too. trouble is in reality ya cant go boating proper in the uk over 7ft beam, tis a shame but tis fact.

It's not really a fact - it depends what you mean by "boating proper". My widebeam has seen more of the UK inland waterways system than most narrowboats.

Anyway, I have a week or two's holiday at a time so there's enough broad waterways for me to explore and I've done plenty of proper boating. Each to their own, but for me it's not just about crawling around in a ditch.

10Westminrear.jpg

P1000888_zps88ff8e43.jpg

Edited by blackrose

I agree with you there Blackrose. I wouldn't call ditch crawling "proper boating " at all.

Yup I thought that would be the responese. I could show pics of me on the Thames etc etc etc. The absolute facts are that boating in the UK to get from North to south other than by sea anything over 7feet is a no go. We considered moving the boat south for a while but then if we wanted to go north again it would be craning again so again we have gone narrow, boats are very easy to sell, I have sold all mine within a couple of weeks or so of listing every time so if we want another widebeam or sea jobby ( Done that as well ) we will simply sell again.

Lets face it the only reason narrowboats still exist is our proliferation of 7 feet wide flippin locks, no one would specify that as their first choice of width any where else in the world I can think of.

Tim

Yup I thought that would be the responese. I could show pics of me on the Thames etc etc etc. The absolute facts are that boating in the UK to get from North to south other than by sea anything over 7feet is a no go. We considered moving the boat south for a while but then if we wanted to go north again it would be craning again so again we have gone narrow, boats are very easy to sell, I have sold all mine within a couple of weeks or so of listing every time so if we want another widebeam or sea jobby ( Done that as well ) we will simply sell again.

Lets face it the only reason narrowboats still exist is our proliferation of 7 feet wide flippin locks, no one would specify that as their first choice of width any where else in the world I can think of.

Tim

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind ambling along on the river or broad /wide inland waters, but to me, I don't see it as the be all and end all. I certainly wouldn't limit our living space just so we could head north to south inland.

I agree with you there Blackrose. I wouldn't call ditch crawling "proper boating " at all.

I wouldn't call it "proper boating" either. I'd just call it "boating".

OF course, you can get away with a much lower level of knowledge when boating on the canals, because it's not as dangerous or complicated at a basic level as sea boating or big river boating. Gently chugging and meandering, taking time, suits many people.

But of course, you can improve skills and treat it very seriously, if you wish. Get a deep drafted boat, so you have to learn to steer it in the channel, and have to steer it carefully and properly around the outside of corners; learn how to work locks efficiently, with the minimum of fuss and effort, to reduce the time taken through as much as possible; even get a butty and start long lining up narrow lock flights, or using running blocks, and generally taking pride in boating as efficiently as possible.

That's not "proper" boating either, because everyone prefers different things (and I get terribly seasick!), I just think that everybody should be free to boat how they like, for their own enjoyment, as long as they're not inconveniencing other people'so enjoyment.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind ambling along on the river or broad /wide inland waters, but to me, I don't see it as the be all and end all. I certainly wouldn't limit our living space just so we could head north to south inland.

Yeah cool. My problem was I missed the Mucky Duck or having to visit by car, it just aint the same biggrin.png

Tim

Yeah cool. My problem was I missed the Mucky Duck or having to visit by car, it just aint the same biggrin.png

Tim

Visiting any pub by car isn't the same.

We were on the bar at the boat club last night. Had to drive there, not have a drink, serve other people booze and then drive back.

Now that certainly isn't right!

Visiting any pub by car isn't the same.

We were on the bar at the boat club last night. Had to drive there, not have a drink, serve other people booze and then drive back.

Now that certainly isn't right!

ohmy.png You have my deepest sympathy.

Tim