SEATING what works for you?

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

I wouldn't call it "proper boating" either. I'd just call it "boating".

OF course, you can get away with a much lower level of knowledge when boating on the canals, because it's not as dangerous or complicated at a basic level as sea boating or big river boating. Gently chugging and meandering, taking time, suits many people.

But of course, you can improve skills and treat it very seriously, if you wish. Get a deep drafted boat, so you have to learn to steer it in the channel, and have to steer it carefully and properly around the outside of corners; learn how to work locks efficiently, with the minimum of fuss and effort, to reduce the time taken through as much as possible; even get a butty and start long lining up narrow lock flights, or using running blocks, and generally taking pride in boating as efficiently as possible.

That's not "proper" boating either, because everyone prefers different things (and I get terribly seasick!), I just think that everybody should be free to boat how they like, for their own enjoyment, as long as they're not inconveniencing other people'so enjoyment.

Virtual greenie for that.

Another Poang'er here. Took the fixed out, super comfortable for the lucky one who got the corner spot but the other one - normally her or she who washed up got the less than comfortable side bit.

On the previous boat I got a department store swivel that had the top padded section just in the wrong spot so it gave me neck ache. So really about try before you buy (it was a birthday present)

We have dithered about getting rid of the Poangs and getting some Wilsons Captain chairs or a Wilsons sofa....but they are comfortable (the Poangs) I guess we need a trip to Kinver again to do some more product testing!

Discount Furniture Warehouse Ltd

61-65 Abbey Street

Derby

DE22 3SP

Tel 01332 290929

As i said i cannot recommend them enough, i bought a metal action sofa bed and they literally stripped it down and cut the frame out to get it in the boat, then put the whole thing back together and re covered it

rio_Sofabed2.jpg

Charged me £345 with £5 delivery, i gave them a tip on top but was still embarassed i didnt give them more.

Regards

Rick

The absolute facts are that boating in the UK to get from North to south other than by sea anything over 7feet is a no go.

Yes, that is an absolute fact, but there are other absolute facts, which are for example, that many of us don't have the time or inclination to get from north to south or vice versa, and that for us those journeys in themselves don't constitute proper boating.

Edited by blackrose

Lets face it the only reason narrowboats still exist is our proliferation of 7 feet wide flippin locks, no one would specify that as their first choice of width any where else in the world I can think of.

An arbitrary decision made by someone about 2 centuries ago has resulted in some of us spending our time living in confined tubular accommodation, while others who just wanted a bit more living space became the objects of their criticism and indignation. tongue.png

I just think that everybody should be free to boat how they like, for their own enjoyment, as long as they're not inconveniencing other people's enjoyment.

Is the correct answer.

Edited by blackrose

Yes, an arbitrary decision made by someone about 2 centuries ago has resulted in some of us spending our time living in confined tubular accommodation, while others who just wanted a bit more living space became the objects of their criticism and indignation. tongue.png

Is the correct answer.

Have you just woken up?

Tim

Have you just woken up?

Tim

Sorry, some of us actually have other things we have to do and can't spend all day or week on the forum. I reply only when I have the time and inclination. I'm not a slave to this forum. I'm sure you understand.

Edited by blackrose

Sorry, some of us actually have other things we have to do and can't spend all day or week on the forum. I reply only when I have the time and inclination. I'm not a slave to this forum. I'm sure you understand.

fatigue.gif

We live on a small island, (relatively speaking; and speaking to those in mainland UK) and as Darwin noticed when travelling to some smaller islands, the isolated environment of a small island can produce some strange twists and twerks of evolution. The 7' lock is one of these twists, and the narrowboat it's inevitable twerk. Being able to travel our marvelous inland waterways system is amazing, but in most other ways narrowboats are less efficient and effective than many other boats of more even proportions.

The choice to make the 7' lock has led to a massive inland waterways network in this country, and the modern popularity of this network for leisure boating has led to the evolution of the widebeam, so everything is interlinked and we are all dependant upon one another.

Edited to add: I think I just made up the work twerk (for this use, anyway...)

Edited by Tom Richmond

We live on a small island, (relatively speaking; and speaking to those in mainland UK) and as Darwin noticed when travelling to some smaller islands, the isolated environment of a small island can produce some strange twists and twerks of evolution. The 7' lock is one of these twists, and the narrowboat it's inevitable twerk. Being able to travel our marvelous inland waterways system is amazing, but in most other ways narrowboats are less efficient and effective than many other boats of more even proportions.

The choice to make the 7' lock has led to a massive inland waterways network in this country, and the modern popularity of this network for leisure boating has led to the evolution of the widebeam, so everything is interlinked and we are all dependant upon one another.

Edited to add: I think I just made up the work twerk (for this use, anyway...)

Yes tis all true. Also the term we use on the inland waterways of " Widebeam " when in fact not many of them are very wide at all. The boat I drive at work has a beam in excess of twenty feet but its only a small boat in reality. The usual " widebeam " 10 to 14 feet say are realy very small the term was realy only coined because of the Uks narrow beam boats...( very narrow )

I loved my widebeam but hey ho the ability to use more of the Uk system for the time being is what we want. Tis easy enough to sell and swap to other boating types in any event.

Tim

Tim