That's it, cruising season over.

matty40s

Featured Posts

I bet you bottle it when the Thames goes onto red boards

ninja.gifbiggrin.png

MtB

LOL - will be well away from all rivers long before any of that silliness happens - still novices Mike, and I'm a chicken! will be spending the winter cruising within the safe, tranquil and peaceful confines of the GU...it doesn't flood does it??unsure.png

The bit below Stoke Bruerne top lock has been known to flood, because a river feeds into it. Same at Alrewas on the T&M and where the river Cherwell enters the Southern Oxford canal. However as you have a wide beam, you won't be able to get to either of those places ;(

Even though I,m just a weekend boater I find I get more free time in the winter and much prefer the quiet on the cut and the fact I can get a carparking space, as long as I have plenty of wood on board I love the winters as much as the summers,plus we pay for a years use so make the most of it

LOL - will be well away from all rivers long before any of that silliness happens - still novices Mike, and I'm a chicken! will be spending the winter cruising within the safe, tranquil and peaceful confines of the GU...it doesn't flood does it??unsure.png

There are a couple of places that flood or have very fast running water on the Southern GU

Below the locks at Stoke Bruene, it has been up enough to deposit boats in the fields.

Rickmansworth above and below Batchworth lock can have some interesting flows.

Above and below Coppermill lock can also have entertaining flows.

Above Uxbridge lock can be the same.

Finally the River Brent below Hanwell can be a spiteful little river.

Could not agree more!! Summer is my least favourite season on the cut

Well actually that rather depends on where you cruise.

If you cruise in an area where even in summer it never gets truly busy you can enjoy uncrowded cruising all year round. Generally good weather in the summer and crisp autumn and winter morning starts, along with nights in front of the wood burner on an evening.

Being based up North has it's advantages.

Edited by The Dog House

Hired a narrowboat on the Llangollen in February a couple of years ago for silver wedding anniversary, beautiful weather, only a few boats on the go. Had a grand time. We also cruise locally, but being grp, not when it's frozen.

According to my phone "silver wedding = sale error wedding"!

Edited by Jim Riley