That's it, cruising season over.

matty40s

Featured Posts

The weather has just turned....down to 3 degrees in the mornings...frosty breath....neck warmers.....GLORIUS!

I'm postponing returning to the marina.

I've checked the stoppages, but would like confirmation from anyone who has the time....that I'll be able to use the Rochdale 9 anytime till the end of of Dec right?.although I'll be back in the marina by latest 10Dec, for sure..lol

Ahhh, but I believe there is a silver lining in every cloud - yours being you'll have a pay check at the end of the month cheers.gif

ahhhh...but what's the use of a pay check when all it's doing is paying for food to enable you to work, and pay for a home which is empty 90% of the time, because you're always away at work,,,,and paying for petrol for your car to get you to and from work....LOL !

• Greenie 1

ahhhh...but what's the use of a pay check when all it's doing is paying for food to enable you to work, and pay for a home which is empty 90% of the time, because you're always away at work,,,,and paying for petrol for your car to get you to and from work....LOL !

You missed out paying for a boat and beer in that lotcheers.gif

LOL - stop it Dean, I was just trying to make NC feel better about being stuck in an office while we're out cruising :)

Well the sun is still shining as I sit here, another boat has chugged out of marina with a veroom of bow thruster application...tight turning.

I am planning another short chug out to check my driving still as rubbish, but the good thing less to avoid as canals quieter.

Locks shut direction I wish to travel ATM but once they re-open and I've earnt my time away by ripping up floors in Horror House thats the way to go.

Frost sprinkles white sugar coating over towpath turning soggy tree discards into crispy crunchy leaf clad way to meander over. Perfect time to walk dog.

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Meanwhile tis a glorious day out on towpath as frost sprinkles and sparkles glistening white.

The sunrise a ball of glowing red/amber viewed through mist rising from still waters.

I wander with Molly Dog and take time to enjoy that which provides peace in our world

Funny ole thing really

in 6 months from now will this NC v TD have any significance?

If it were my site or if I were a mod I'd delete ALL tedious back-biting posts that contribute nothing to the thread title.

MtB

Like that one? tongue.png

Meanwhile tis a glorious day out on towpath as frost sprinkles and sparkles glistening white.

The sunrise a ball of glowing red/amber viewed through mist rising from still waters.

I wander with Molly Dog and take time to enjoy that which provides peace in our world

Funny ole thing really

in 6 months from now will this NC v TD have any significance?

It will still be ongoing.

I do agree that there are personalities that continually clash and they become naughty children who would need a little nudge to start behaving.

We,as a family, remember one particular morning when our two, at that time, boys (there are now three boys) were arguing and all mum wanted to know what they wanted for breakfast.

Ultimately Margaret shouted above their argument, "Do you want Cornflakes or a slap"!!!! We broke down laughing.

Martyn

Wow -12 and snow, brilliant.

I visited Finland once to go on husky safari, reached -30, the hair in my nostrils froze...sure everyone needed to know that!

Petty spats on here are like children in classroom or MP's in parliament and as for deleting all the posts, it would mean in some threads there would be no meat n bones...or maybe tis fat n gristle and should be cut away.

S'long as those who don't wanna get drawn in ignore then let them get on with it.

Yes, it's around minus 20C when you open the front door and first breath in freezes the hairs in your nostrils. At minus 20 your trousers also freeze/become stiff.

Long underwear, although I always thought it sounds silly, works a treat - I have often pulled buses out of the garage at minus 25C down to minus 30C - takes 2 hours for a bus diesel engine to get the heating working - luckily the bus I have now has a Webasto that works well.

Thought I'd mention long underwear as surely it would help when driving a narrowboat in the winter months?

Coldest I have ever seen it in England was 1986 January when it was minus 6 C and two thirds of the buses at Hertford garage were not running because of frozen diesel systems. After minus 25 for a few days, minus 6 feels like being in the Tropics!

In minus 25, without proper clothing for a few hours, you WILL die - it just sucks the heat out of everything.

Coldest I have ever seen was minus 78 C on the monitor in a plane coming back from Osaka to Helsinki along the northern Siberian coast. It's amazing that aeroplane engines can even work in temperatures like that.

I agree about the -25. Years ago I was en route home from Sydney with Japan air lines. The posted route was Tokyo, Moscow, London but we had an additional refuelling stop at Khabarosk, on Russia's Eastern coast. This was New Year. We left Sydney in heat, saw fog and damp in Tokyo but Khabarovsk was frozen solid at minus 25. All the locals were fur clad and booted, we had to disembark by stairs, there was no air bridge. All I had on were jeans, T-shirt and cardigan! I wasn't outside for more than a minute, but breathing was stating to hurt. I was more than grateful to get to the terminal. The return journey was little better, at least I knew what to expect!

Cheers

Dave

Yes, it's around minus 20C when you open the front door and first breath in freezes the hairs in your nostrils. At minus 20 your trousers also freeze/become stiff.

Long underwear, although I always thought it sounds silly, works a treat - I have often pulled buses out of the garage at minus 25C down to minus 30C - takes 2 hours for a bus diesel engine to get the heating working - luckily the bus I have now has a Webasto that works well.

Thought I'd mention long underwear as surely it would help when driving a narrowboat in the winter months?

Coldest I have ever seen it in England was 1986 January when it was minus 6 C and two thirds of the buses at Hertford garage were not running because of frozen diesel systems. After minus 25 for a few days, minus 6 feels like being in the Tropics!

In minus 25, without proper clothing for a few hours, you WILL die - it just sucks the heat out of everything.

Coldest I have ever seen was minus 78 C on the monitor in a plane coming back from Osaka to Helsinki along the northern Siberian coast. It's amazing that aeroplane engines can even work in temperatures like that.

We did have a harsh winter a couple of years after we bought NC. So must have been 2009 or 2010 perhaps?

It was then getting down to minus19 degrees C with day time temperatures staying well below freezing. So it does occasionally get cold in the UK. From memory our marina was frozen solid for about 8 weeks.

A few years back.....well quite a few thinking on it....possibly mid 70's I had to fly back from Montreal. Just previous to this there had been a lot of bragging by Mirrabelle Airport (I think that was the name) about how delays were a thing of the past and with their new electrically heated runway this winter was going to be different. The night before I flew, the temperature dropped to minus 36....I believe the coldest recorded temperature in the St Lawrence valley.....guess what....the runway froze!!! Had to spend 2 nights in a hotel in Montreal courtesy of he airline (bags already checked in) we were given cash to go and get fresh clothes etc