"No mooring - private"

Featured Posts

Haven't stopped there since 1999 when we were asked by the landlord to vacate a table at the pub because we were only drinking and he wanted it for people who wanted to eat.

At least they still provided a water tap. There are numerous places around the system where the water tap was been removed after the house was sold.

They may well provide a water tap but the locals are ignorant feckers. Last November I counted 20+ dog doos around the tap I wrote to the parish council about this and received no reply. Along that embankment there was a dog spot about every 2 feet.

As a matter of interest there is a NO MOORING sign out side the Moorings pub at bridge 43 in Warwick. It says 'for customer use only'. It is not a CRT sign.

CRT say, 'There are NO towpath side pubs with exclusive rights to the mooring outside their premises anywhere on the system'.

As a matter of interest there is a NO MOORING sign out side the Moorings pub at bridge 43 in Warwick. It says 'for customer use only'. It is not a CRT sign.

CRT say, 'There are NO towpath side pubs with exclusive rights to the mooring outside their premises anywhere on the system'.

I used to find it ironic that when the Peartree Bridge pub in Milton Keynes was called "The Moorings" it had signs outside saying "No mooring". Edited by Keeping Up

Off on a diversion. I am outraged everytime we arrive at Salford junction on the BCN that someone has gone to the trouble and expence of erecting 3 large red notices telling boaters not to bump into their wall. It's not an easy junction if coming from the Birmingham and fazeley onto theGU but no one intends to hit a wall. Several years ago a leader of a school party backed into it whilst attempting the turn and didn't survive beingknocked off her boat by the tiller. I can't imagine for a second she intended hitting the wall.

I totally agree with dor about these mooring signs on the embankment at Nantwich. Years ago (long before those first new houses were built) we have moored along there. Then suddenly (cant remember now what year, but those first houses now built) and SUDDENLY the sign was there 'NO MOORING'. We thought then... what!!! So interesting point raised here by dor, and now that there has been more house building further on, mooring for us now for the town and shopping is very limited, unless you sort of hover around and wait for maybe someone to move on... sounds like the supermarket car park on a weekend lol... But maybe we should check this sign out with cart and see if or if its officially placed cos if affects us all eh?

Has it been rebranded CRT yet or is it still BW? If still BW it is likely a non authorised sign since I think all waterways have been ordered to finish rebranding by end of January 2013 iirc.

Talking of miserable pub landlords, complete git at Fleur de Lys, Lowsonford, Stratford Canal - said NO when we asked if we could charge our mobile phones whilst eating there. A thousand curses on him and a Tripadvisor comment made also. (June 2013).

"Warning, boat thieves operate in this area" - the boaters are thieves by default?

Some of you might be aware of the ongoing conflict between residents on Noël Rd, Islington and boaters. It's a VM area but the residents have been trying to change this for a while. Some of them have council connections and they recently won a small battles - double breasting has been banned until the end of March). Boris Johnson is one of the residents there although -as far as I know -he's kept out of the debate. Mooring space is ridiculously limited in London and this is one of the nicest spots going. I'd hate to see it compromised any further,

The other story this thread brings to mind is Sonning on the Thames. Uri Geller bought the mooring space outside of his (huge) house and has outlawed mooring there. I suppose if you have paid the right people, 'no mooring' signs can be legally enforced. Either way, he's made sure there is nothing outside to moor onto.

I thinkthe residents in Islington and Geller both cited the health risks from carbon monoxide as their justification.

Uri Geller bought the mooring space outside of his (huge) house and has outlawed mooring there. I suppose if you have paid the right people, 'no mooring' signs can be legally enforced.

If he's bought the mooring space, he doesn't need to outlaw mooring there. He just chooses whether or not to moor a boat there himself. That's fair enough.

I thought that he allowed mooring but charged for it (about £7 when our friends moored there) which he gives to the local school. May have changed though.

That was certainly the case when I moored there some years ago, although the charge was lower, No one came to collect the fee, instead there was an honesty box.

Some of you might be aware of the ongoing conflict between residents on Noël Rd, Islington and boaters. It's a VM area but the residents have been trying to change this for a while. Some of them have council connections and they recently won a small battles - double breasting has been banned until the end of March). Boris Johnson is one of the residents there although -as far as I know -he's kept out of the debate. Mooring space is ridiculously limited in London and this is one of the nicest spots going. I'd hate to see it compromised any further,

The other story this thread brings to mind is Sonning on the Thames. Uri Geller bought the mooring space outside of his (huge) house and has outlawed mooring there. I suppose if you have paid the right people, 'no mooring' signs can be legally enforced. Either way, he's made sure there is nothing outside to moor onto.

I thinkthe residents in Islington and Gteller both cited the health risks from carbon monoxide as their justification.

But rivers are different from canals. There is no general right to moor on a river bank, as I understand it.