"No mooring - private"

Featured Posts

I wish I could remember where it was, but we were offended by a sign that said something along the lines of "please don't moor here, our children play here - please respect their privacy" as if we were a bunch of paedophiles ogling young children. The sign was on the off side next to a piece of grass beside a driveway where children were very unlikely to be playing anyway.

We found that offensive.

I wish I could remember where it was, but we were offended by a sign that said something along the lines of "please don't moor here, our children play here - please respect their privacy" as if we were a bunch of paedophiles ogling young children. The sign was on the off side next to a piece of grass beside a driveway where children were very unlikely to be playing anyway.

We found that offensive.

Ange

if they allow their children to play unaccompanied near a canal then it begs the question on the level of intellect of the sign writer, I wouldn't be offended by the sign just 'pitty' the children in their care

Dave

We found that offensive.

I too find this sort of action by parents offensive, our marina is at the end of a dead end, past the marina are a couple of farms a few houses and some moorings. Well at the top of the road a new family moved in with a bunch of kids and promptly set about painting 30 MPH signs on the road and erecting day-glo plastic policemen with speed guns by the side of the road (they didn't last long)

They then campaigned for police to speed trap the road, when this was eventually done the speeds registered by vehicles gave rise to give no cause for concern and the police said they would not be bothering again. The house is now up for sale. To the best of my knowledge there has never been any incident of any sort here and the traffic flows no more than 40 vehicles an hour at peak times.

The family concerned could have got peace of mind by fiting lockable gates over their drive but that would have been too sensible I guess

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

This just begs the question why people who don't like boats or boaters move next to the canal,like the guy in the lock cottage at green berfield. The shower block is part of the same building, I've had him come and try to interegate me when I've used them considers it all his property. He doesn't like boats or boaters. So why move next to the canal?

We found that offensive.

I think the place you are talking about is on the Birmingham & Worcester near bridge 31. Most people just ignore them. There has been a boat there all this winter

The signs at Nantwich were put up when the houses went up. If I recall correctly, they've planted trees along that bit to shield the houses from boaters prying eyes (presumably because the canal is at bedfroom level!) and now the trees are grown i can't see why the signs shouldn;t come down, especially if no-one at CART can remember why they are there.

Ansty is a prime example of no mooring signs being erected for owners of recently (by canal standards) built houses. Then the pub refused to maintain the bridge from the visitor moorings to the village so it was demolished

Ansty is probably one of the most boater hostile villages on the cut.

It's their loss I will take my custom elsewhere.

Top Cat

The Ansty club is very good but I agree the moorings are poor.

Ansty is a prime example of no mooring signs being erected for owners of recently (by canal standards) built houses. Then the pub refused to maintain the bridge from the visitor moorings to the village so it was demolished

Top Cat

Haven't stopped there since 1999 when we were asked by the landlord to vacate a table at the pub because we were only drinking and he wanted it for people who wanted to eat.

The one at a new build house in Macclesfield did, so BW spent £thousands of OUR money moving the water point to please him:-(

George ex nb Alton retired

At least they still provided a water tap. There are numerous places around the system where the water tap was been removed after the house was sold.

Top Cat

I remember being made most welcome at the "Ansty workers club" nearly forty years ago. They had a sign up "Boaters Welcome". Boats, mostly hire, were moored all along that stretch opposite the cottages, and their occupants ashore using the club. A couple of years ago, it was late and getting dark so I decided to risk mooring there. Within minutes, two burly men approached and using language that would make a matelot blush indicated to me that I could not moor there. I moved on and vowed never to bother with Ansty again

By bridge 92 in Simpson (MK) their are two bollards where a previous homeowner (towpath side) had an agreement to moor there - initially hotel boats, then his personal boat.

JHKDP2Y.jpg

I, remember the Hotel boats there, and I think, is it "Bison" in your picture?

I remember being made most welcome at the "Ansty workers club" nearly forty years ago. They had a sign up "Boaters Welcome". Boats, mostly hire, were moored all along that stretch opposite the cottages, and their occupants ashore using the club. A couple of years ago, it was late and getting dark so I decided to risk mooring there. Within minutes, two burly men approached and using language that would make a matelot blush indicated to me that I could not moor there. I moved on and vowed never to bother with Ansty again

I, remember the Hotel boats there, and I think, is it "Bison" in your picture?

The late Jeff Dennison worked tirelessly to get those signs removed. The person who had them put up was on the local canal users form with BW at the time. Yes the club does welcome boaters, but mooring is another matter.

The late Jeff Dennison worked tirelessly to get those signs removed. The person who had them put up was on the local canal users form with BW at the time. Yes the club does welcome boaters, but mooring is another matter.

I wasn't aware Jeff had passed awaysad.png Got his album 'They're coming back to the water' in my collection. Seen him play quite a few times in the old days and supped a few ales with him on our boat. RIP Jeff

The Ansty signs were because the 'lady' who owned the house they are in front of was at the time a local councillor and was a mouthy piece who demanded them or BW would find her apposing them when ever possible at council level. That is what I was told by people involved in installing the signs.

It's a little different on the rivers because if riparian rights. I'm being a bit naughty at the moment, the front 30' of my boat is on the 30' mooring provided by Horningsea parish council for visitors, but the back 42' is hanging off a mudweight towards the middle of the river in front of someone's garden, which does have "Private" signs.

But I did talk in my nicest way to them, proved I wasn't planning on staying overnight (the council have banned this after a series of people set up camp for the while winter) and they seemed grudgingly happy.

Edited by FadeToScarlet

It's a little different on the rivers because if riparian rights. I'm being a bit naughty at the moment, the front 30' of my boat is on the 30' mooring provided by Horningsea parish council for visitors, but the back 42' is hanging off a mudweight towards the middle of the river in front of someone's garden, which does have "Private" signs.

But I did talk in my nicest way to them, proved I wasn't planning on staying overnight (the council have banned this after a series of people set up camp for the while winter) and they seemed grudgingly happy.

I thought about doing that when we were down there but it didn't seem worth the bother.

Someone should prove it by nicking the sign.As for the No Winding sign, as it bears an official Cart sticker I guess it's official. However, there is space underneath to write "Oh yes there is".

Re these photos, Why would someone not be happy letting boats wind here??

If I had a canal side house, I would expect and be quite happy for boats to moor there??

As long as folks were polite and tidy etc. but that's down to the individual!

Canals are for boats as well?

Col

Re these photos, Why would someone not be happy letting boats wind here??

If I had a canal side house, I would expect and be quite happy for boats to moor there??

As long as folks were polite and tidy etc. but that's down to the individual!

Canals are for boats as well?

Col

I have assumed in these cases the house holder is either:

A: the sort who buys a house next to a village church, then moans about the bells, or next to a farm, then moans about the smell. In which case the rest of us can't win.

B: they have had really bad experiences with one or more moorers sat immediately outside their house. Maybe loud music or generators late at night. Dog poo everywhere on the towpath. Smoky chimneys or litter everywhere. Bad language and arguing.

I wouldn't even start to try and justify their signs, but just maybe, they moved next to their iddylic canal, and it ended as a bit of a nightmare.

Always better to go and have a polite word early on, to try and nip it in the bud. Not worth getting wound up before the inevitable slanging match that then often ensues.

Edited by MHS

7613894876_3ba5c1ca9f.jpg

two years ago, this was the view above Stockton Locks on the GU.........1.4 mile of good piled moorings. Hidden on the offside in deep vegetation was the old entrance to the quarry arm and wharf. It was possible to turn a 70 footer here with care....although you had to get the angle of attack spot on.

coming along yesterday and this is the offside from the same spot.

20140308_172052_zpsdcdg2xtg.jpg

The old arm is blocked off by mountains of rubble just behind the two moored boats, so there is room for only 3 boats - one of which is the Willow Wren trainer boat.

There are also brand new NO MOORING signs opposite the new wharf frontage for about 250 feet, however, these do not extend to in front of the old winding point.

There isn't a lot of point saying anything to CRT as these are official CRT posts and signage tiles.

Edited by matty40s

matty40s, on 09 Mar 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:

.coming along yesterday and this is the offside from the same spot.

Hells teeth - has there been some sort of bomb gone off??

Whats occurring?

Willow Wren Training has moved from Rugby Wharf to the old Nelson Cement worlks.

Makes sence as there were no locks for miles where they were but now they will have the choice of Calcutt, Stockton, Bsacote and The Napton Flight.

Read all about it here:

http://www.willowwrentraining.co.uk/

This takes you to the exact info:

http://www.willowwrentraining.co.uk/nelsons%20wharf.html

2 1/2 year since I've been past Stockton Top, but was our regular cruising area, and know the spot well.

7613894876_3ba5c1ca9f.jpg

two years ago, this was the view above Stockton Locks on the GU.........1.4 mile of good piled moorings. Hidden on the offside in deep vegetation was the old entrance to the quarry arm and wharf. It was possible to turn a 70 footer here with care....although you had to get the angle of attack spot on.

coming along yesterday and this is the offside from the same spot.

20140308_172052_zpsdcdg2xtg.jpg

The old arm is blocked off by mountains of rubble just behind the two moored boats, so there is room for only 3 boats - one of which is the Willow Wren trainer boat.

There are also brand new NO MOORING signs opposite the new wharf frontage for about 250 feet, however, these do not extend to in front of the old winding point.

There isn't a lot of point saying anything to CRT as these are official CRT posts and signage tiles.

Nothing a big screwdriver couldn't sort out.

Except these signs are likely to be Genuine, as CaRT presumably had to give Willow Wren approval.

Has any one thought the reason the no mooring extends the length of the wharf frontage is that this is a training school? Makes it easier for those learning, .ie. gives them a little more space to manuvour and I'm sure any who moored opposite the wharf would object to any learner hitting their boat.

The entrance is now also a winding hole.

Luctor your "Nothing a big screwdriver couldn't sort out" is hardly a constructive comment is it? Or is it meant to be jest?

Taking signs off the posts is what has happened at Lower Hillmorton and a few boats now overstay their welcome

Edited by Ray T