What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

Nothing fettled today, having derailed my plans by extending our short break to a long one Boris decided I ought not go to the boat because I need to get ready to go away.

Not all was lost though, I found a load of rough old fence posts and Boris spent a hour or two chopping them into Epping sized pieces.

Every cloud has a silver lining .

Put in a Light Pacific Loco, Battle of Britain class repro sign in the back cabin. Tomorrow the steam train art gets mounted in the Pullman.

20140319_165654_zpsc288ad19.jpg

The other wall of the back cabin is dedicated to one of my interests.

20140319_180255_zpsfba9d37b.jpg

I don't know for sure but I think the boat was called Pathfinder with some reference to the Pathfinder Squadrons from Bomber Command in WW2 as you can see by the art work on the drop down bed. I can't see a good reason otherwise to have a Lancaster as the artwork motiff.

20140319_180359_zps4116ca00.jpg

Edited by mark99

Ooh I've got that in my boat bathroom but in black. It's a bit of a swine to keep clean because of the texture. It needs scrubbing with a brush from time to time. But brilliantly hard wearing. I love the red.

We used coin dot in our back cabin/utility room, these are 12 x 12 inch tiles. Ours seem much smaller dot pattern, we use a microfibre mop and it cleans up very easily.

Ours is also adhered, however you can buy the tiles now in a click lock design which is ideal on a boat as you won't necessarily need to use adhesive, the click lock design also gives an almost invisible join and no mess.

Utilityroomdrawer2.jpg

http://www.carpettiles1.com.au/pvcinterlockingtilesProduct-detail.php?Pid=1&DisplayId=1&ProductId=6

I cannot lay claim to any fettling but we have had some new upholstery by Shelly of Streamline Upholstery of Braunston streamlineupholstery@hotmail.co.uk

Before:

Moss green shade.

13328050254_dfcb9fbdf1_z.jpg

After:

Duck egg blue.

13327687245_bfbd2b953a_z.jpg

With complete approval after inspection by Millie the Mutt.

Incidentally the original cushions are free to a good home. The material is still very servicable but the foam on a couple of the cushions has gone a bit soft.

Any suggestions as to the what floor colour and covering should be please? as this needs replacing.

Just so we could say we have done something this weekend we have replaced the blown bulb in the dashboard!

Although as always these seemingly simple jobs never turn out so simple. The bulb which had blown was in the most difficult instrument gauge to get at :)

We used coin dot in our back cabin/utility room, these are 12 x 12 inch tiles. Ours seem much smaller dot pattern, we use a microfibre mop and it cleans up very easily.

Ours is also adhered, however you can buy the tiles now in a click lock design which is ideal on a boat as you won't necessarily need to use adhesive, the click lock design also gives an almost invisible join and no mess.

Utilityroomdrawer2.jpg

http://www.carpettiles1.com.au/pvcinterlockingtilesProduct-detail.php?Pid=1&DisplayId=1&ProductId=6

Looks good. I used the solid sheet rather than tiles so I didn't have to glue it down. It took very careful positioning to do the whole bathroom in one go out of one square metre (I'm a cheapskate and didn't want to pay for another metre) but it's worked well. And it's heavy enough that it doesn't lift up or curl.

Well, last weekend I saw that one of the head retaining bolts had sheared on my Vetus engine. Nothing for it but to take the head off which was done on Monday. Having got the new gaskets and head bolts (you can't just replace one, they have to be done as a set) yesterday was putting the head back on. Very tedious having to clean all traces of the old gasket off the top of the block and on the cylinder head. Also a pain having to remove all the bits and pieces that are attached to the head one way or another. Anyway, all put back together again yesterday and tappets reset..

Started it up and it banged and shook and made some awful noises as the injector pipes refilled and got fuel to the cylinders but after a couple of minutes it settled down. After checking that the oil was reaching all the rocker arms the rocker box was put back on and started up again. Nice and smooth, no leaks or squeeks! A pig of a job to do for one sheared bolt (and no, the remains of the bolt couldn't be retrieved without taking the head off, it was well down the hole and sheared at an angle so using a stud extractor was not really practical).

Still, only a month ago there is no way I could have managed the job - took a bottle of wine to recover though!

Today I have fettled this squiggly thing for my Taylor's heater, through the bulkhead and encased in clear plastic tubing to protect it.

Might not sound like much but as I'm operating mostly one handed coz of a knackered shoulder and haven't been able to do anything like this for quite some weeks, I was pleased to have got that bit done.

2014-03-23190315_zps329aac55.jpg

Serviced the engine on Saturday. It was suposed to be an easy job, it usually is. However it took two and a half hours to bleed it up thanks to a dodgy fuel filter that was sucking in air.

Thankfully the old one was very clean so we have refitted that and hey presto it bled up straight awayrolleyes.gif

Recently I bought two cassettes for a Dometic Vacuflush toilet which was on our boat when we bought it last year. The loo works fine but we originally had only two cassettes and that seems a bit restrictive depending on the availability of disposal facilities.

The cassettes we bought we secondhand, one was OK but the second had a defective self sealing valve, so I set about fixing it. After much cleaning sick.gif I removed the valve from the cassette to find one of the O ring seals had rolled in its groove and was being caught in the discharge hole of the valve. There is no way of getting these apart except by cutting the end off (seem to be welded on). More cleaning and I had it in pieces, two O-rings, one OK and the second well chewed up.

New O rings purchased for the valve (30 mm ID) and for the valve mounting flange (60 mm iD) both in 3mm cross section 70 hardness Nitrile. These cost very little from Ebay. Fitted the seals and greased it up with Silicone grease. Refitted the end flange with epoxy and secured with stainless locking wire into a groove I machined around the valve and then laced it across the end cap and secured with more epoxy. Not very neat but functional.

The cassette then needed a little filing to open the hole to allow the epoxy and wire to slide through. Replaced the valve into the tank and all seems to be OK, ready for testing at the weekend.

Apart from needing to clean things up ( a lot!) this was easy enough to repair and I hope it keeps the system going.

If anyone else has similar trouble I hope the description above helps.

By the way I did find that all the O rings had developed a permanent deformation due to compression in use. I thus changed the flange seal on the other spare cassette (the seals cost pence each) and will be having a close look at other seals in the system.

Chris

Installed a lovely wardrobe in the corner of the bedroom, replacing an open hanging rail.

Not sure how old it is, I think 1930s or 40s, with a curvy walnut door.

I had to bash the back off of it with a hammer- very stressful!- to get the ply back off of e panel pins, but once carefully carried through the boat (I measured it many times before buying to make sure it would fit through the doors!) it mounted up a treat onto the part bulkheads I put behind it. It's much deeper than it looks from the outside, because the hanging rail lets things hang under the gunwale, and the shelves above it go back behind the wardrobe itself. Very pleased with it.

If anyone else has similar trouble I hope the description above helps.

By the way I did find that all the O rings had developed a permanent deformation due to compression in use. I thus changed the flange seal on the other spare cassette (the seals cost pence each) and will be having a close look at other seals in the system.

Chris

That's a good job there. We have same loo - got three cassettes. What a shame they stopped selling them!

Installed a lovely wardrobe in the corner of the bedroom, replacing an open hanging rail.

Not sure how old it is, I think 1930s or 40s, with a curvy walnut door.

I had to bash the back off of it with a hammer- very stressful!- to get the ply back off of e panel pins, but once carefully carried through the boat (I measured it many times before buying to make sure it would fit through the doors!) it mounted up a treat onto the part bulkheads I put behind it. It's much deeper than it looks from the outside, because the hanging rail lets things hang under the gunwale, and the shelves above it go back behind the wardrobe itself. Very pleased with it.

Pictures here :)http://severnerwillow.wordpress.com/2014/04/03/fitout-49-no-lyin-we-switched-the-wardrobe/

Today's job was fun

Replace the duck bill valve in the toilet.

Had to remove the bowl this meant that water was spilt (only water as I had flushed for a couple of minutes first)

Used the wife's towel to mop it up, it was the first thing to hand, honest guv.

Now have a toilet where the water is clear after a flush and not murkey.