What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

I have refitted the battery and started the engine Hurrah! And the new engine mounts are an improvement

But I accidentally turned the fuel off, didn't notice and the engine stopped Boo! And trying to restart it after bleeding flattened the battery very quickly. This starter battery is dead

Richard

Aligned the engine to the prop shaft, running much quieter and smoother now smile.png

Replaced alternator belt that was on its last legs! Will now let these settle in over the next couple of weeks and then readjust them whilst servicing the engine before our June trip :).

Last weekend, sorted the water pump and fitted a water filter, fine tuned and refitted the shower extraction pump, sorted the radio and tv aerials, fitted drawer sliders to the shower/toilet door - now works a treat, Used a spurious section of ply from beside the cooker make a table which folds away.

Fairly soon I'm going to sort the fuses and switches - most of which don't do anything (or so it seems), fit new ammeters for leisure and engine batteries, fit a protective cage over the battery isolation switch (running the engine with it switched off doesn't charge the batteries very well! - don't ask), hull is to be re-blacked and new anodes fitted and I've managed to get hold of some Tekaloid (Tractoil) Landrover Bronze Green paint to paint her with (the boat, not the wife).

In between times I try to get out on the canal - tricky when you live on the Isle of Man and it costs at least £100 each time I come over to the boat.

Ah well, three years (and counting) to retirement.

Oh yes, I re-stitched the zips on the cratch cover as well ..............

Great! Pics please??? BTW Cap'n Fizz sounds a whizz! :-))

Well I can attestto the fact that he's a Fab Fabricator :) This is the bike rack he designed and built for Dave's electric bike. My cloth's line attachment will fit onto it to hold my new whirly gig thingy :)http://rs1020.pbsrc.com/albums/af325/Bettie-Boo/BikerackMarch2614025_zpsf3377858.jpg~320x480

That's fab Bettie! Does the good Cap'n travel??? ;-) Hoping to take delivery of boat within the month ...EEK! ( survey permitting of course) would LOVE one of the bike rack gizmos ...in time of course! Looking forward to further pics!

SAS :-)

hi Sas

Drop him a pm, he's traveled down to us a few times for measurements and such both by van and boat. He also fabricated a plate thingy to cover a square hole in the stern, you'll have to ask Dave / Simon what the proper name of this hole thing was; but they both felt it was better for the boat for it to be covered.construction.gif

We've got a couple of other projects for him as well before we set off on our travels, and I know he helps out others quite a bit as well.hug.gif

B~

I have made an expansion tank for the cooling water on my Thorneycroft engine.

The engine employs the usual skin tank with a header tank forming part of the exhaust manifold.

The only available expansion on the system is via the radiator cap on the header tank. This vents to the bilge and therefore any coolant expansion is lost.

I shall install the expansion tank above the engine and connect to the overflow pipe on the header tank. Fit the pressure cap to the expansion tank and a blanking cap to the header tank. This should ensure that the header tank remains completely filled with coolant and the bilge remains dry.

Pictures available in the gallery.

hi Sas

Drop him a pm, he's traveled down to us a few times for measurements and such both by van and boat. He also fabricated a plate thingy to cover a square hole in the stern, you'll have to ask Dave / Simon what the proper name of this hole thing was; but they both felt it was better for the boat for it to be covered.:construction:

We've got a couple of other projects for him as well before we set off on our travels, and I know he helps out others quite a bit as well.:hug:

B~

Cheers Bettie, I'll certainly contact him once we're settled. Just booked the survey and deposit down on boat so all systems GO!!!!! :-))

Strongbox

Made from a recycled oil tank off an big transformer, angle was a rusty fence post, and lid was bit of a boat cut off and dumpted in the hedge, all 6mm plate and a 5 lever lock. There will be an anti lever bar across the front, under the lid, maybe tommorow.

I might weld it in under the counter.

IMG_20140425_144644_zps6e9345ef.jpg

Edited by onionbargee