What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

What is that? an exhaust for the tumble?

:lol:

Nah. Washing machine just lives there temporarily till I plumb it in somewhere.

That's my rather lovely Taylor's diesel heater. You can quite tell from the photo but the flue doesn't yet go up through the ceiling. :D It will once I've paid some talented bod to cut a hole in the roof for me.

Argggh .........must .... stop........... wanting.......... shiney!

:lol:

I've started the most important job on the boat.

Building a small drop down shelf for the tea mug and portable radio in the engine room.

make sure it's shiny

Edited by BlueStringPudding

laugh.png

Nah. Washing machine just lives there temporarily till I plumb it in somewhere.

That's my rather lovely Taylor's diesel heater. You can quite tell from the photo but the flue doesn't yet go up through the ceiling. biggrin.png It will once I've paid some talented bod to cut a hole in the roof for me.

laugh.png

make sure it's shiny

Tea, mug or radio?

Drop down table for tea mug - no more balancing on ther rocker cover.

]

Oh! Do me a favour. Do not post anymore photos of your engine room. They are making me really, REALLY fed up that I am stuck withan underfloor jobby with a Jap Engine that has absolutely no brass to polish.

Just stop it please.

No, more please ,i was only joking. I don't mind at all. Honest. It's lovely.

Martyn I used to indecisive, I'm not so sure now.

Edited by Nightwatch

Today I fettled this which is the behind the scenes part of my new Taylor's heater.

2013-12-22225445_zps9016f13f.png

Right up until the drill I was using ran out of juice and wouldn't cut through the bulkhead. Ah well.

I knew I should of given you the spare battery.

If you need to finish knock later.

• 4 weeks later...

Drilling through steel bulkhead. Horrible job. Takes loads of time and new drill bits!

You're doing it wrong then...

Drilled four 22mm holes in steel bulkhead. Starret hole cutters are brilliant.

You're doing it right then!

:D

MtB

You're doing it wrong then...

You're doing it right then!

biggrin.png

MtB

Replacing lots of plastic pipe clips with brass ones - involved drilling lots of 4mm holes in a thick steel bulkhead. Not that quick and not achievable with a hole saw. And it's a horrible job!

Edited by mark99

Replacing lots of plastic pipe clips with brass ones - involved drilling lots of 4mm holes in a thick steel bulkhead. Not that quick and not achievable with a hole saw. And it's a horrible job!

I see. 4mm holes are TINY!

Best drills for this type of work are those expensive gold coloured ones. They just keep on cutting unlike the cheap HSS ones.

MtB

I see. 4mm holes are TINY!

Best drills for this type of work are those expensive gold coloured ones. They just keep on cutting unlike the cheap HSS ones.

MtB

The gold colour is a titanium nitride coating, which is supposed to act as a sort of lubricant to help the swarf on its way (AIUI).

There are plenty of cheap cutting tools around which have been given the 'gold' coating just to impress potential buyers.

More important to choose a respected make, such as Dormer, Presto, Guhring.

Tim

The gold colour is a titanium nitride coating, which is supposed to act as a sort of lubricant to help the swarf on its way (AIUI).

There are plenty of cheap cutting tools around which have been given the 'gold' coating just to impress potential buyers.

More important to choose a respected make, such as Dormer, Presto, Guhring.

Tim

Indeed, hence my advice to try the expensive gold ones, not the cheap gold ones!

MtB