What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

Andy....hear, hear! Quite how the Francis searchlight has become desirable, is a mystery to me, other than an over stated bit of bling on modern boats. Bob Middleton of Manchester does repro vintage headlamps, ours has served well for the last 13 years. I've a couple of real oldies in the workshop, 30s chrome headlamps I think...maybe swap the repro for the real thing one day.

Cheers

Dave

Framed/edged Dave's panels. When these two go in, the Engine room and Back Cabin is complete till next winter.

IMAG2757_zps52c417a6.jpg

IMAG2765_zpscdab32fc.jpg

Ok all finished.

A few shots of engine room and back cabin.

That's me done in rear of boat. :)

IMAG2778_zpscc0167e3.jpg

IMAG2814_zps235e4ea3.jpg

IMAG2815_zpsc9162e2d.jpg

IMAG2818_zps45194433.jpg

Wow, I'm definitely not posting images of the inside of our boat now!

Nice work, Dave Moore! I'll be attempting my blended shading when the weather improves! :)

I can only take the credit for fitting. RLWP did the fettling of the bracket to hold an old horn I got off eBay last year.

Needless to say I am very pleased with Richard's work.

12751635953_552a6b4a7c_z.jpg

12751523875_e1706aed06_z.jpg

I wanted the horn dismountable so as not to encourage scrap metal merchants when no one is on the boat.

Edited by Ray T

Yet more fettling of the boat today. With a bit of luck we are on course to finish tomorrow.

Today we have been polishing

E7D1FC2E-A17B-48E8-AB4A-51737079D85C.jpg

12334370-54A6-4422-A4BC-32E4A511C182.jpg

E9AE6962-AFDC-4787-8CE4-4788BB411AD3.jpg

And anti fouling the drive

BB8906F5-688F-4E77-8DAA-3E6D4516E35B.jpg

Which just leaves applying a couple of coats of wax and a couple of coats of antifoul to the hull tomorrow.

Two! Propellers? Is one for going frontwards and one for going backwards?

Looks really good. Shame to put it in the water.

I do actually know, just being a silly billy.

Not a silly question, but a serious one.

How come they will be damaged by next week? I know sometimes the water can be shallow, but do you not watch the depths?

Martyn

They counter rotate and have a nasty habit of picking crap up between them. The blades are aluminium and they give first!

Very uncommon for us not to have some damage on the props. We have three sets to switch around every now and then.

Do you have anodes on your out drive?

The rear prop looks a little corroded?

Two anodes.

The rear prop has a bit of cavitation corrosion but isn't too bad. It is painted a different colour black as well. One is Matt black and one is shiny black!

Just zoomed in a bit. The rear prop is covered in dust which makes it look worse than it is and the prop cone is just damaged. The cone just holds the rear prop.

Edited by Naughty Cal

Cut new flooring for bathroom, laid but not yet glued down or sealed with mastic yet.

20140301_182049_zpsc5f9cdba.jpg

20140301_182119_zpse61c20df.jpg

Ooh I've got that in my boat bathroom but in black. It's a bit of a swine to keep clean because of the texture. It needs scrubbing with a brush from time to time. But brilliantly hard wearing. I love the red.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's great to have this decent weather at last. It's been a while since any fettling has taken place. This week though and a few maintenance jobs and a few projects are now under way.

We've tidied up solar cabling with Black flexible conduit, much tidier now.

A few other jobs like replacing a new fan in the compost loo, the old one had been in 10 years run almost constantly, it didn't seem to be blowing much any more, so we removed it and found nothing wrong with it, it turns out cobwebs at the base of the flu were clogging with finer dust restricting flow, so a slightly more powerful fan now fitted and I know now to regularly check the flu. The loo chimney stack also got a repaint internally and externally.

Some odd small painting jobs to the tiller. Stern oroko seats oiled,they're now a nice Silver grey colour.

Coming up next is our herb garden planter box 1.2m x 50cm with 7 internal sectional planters for mostly herbs and a couple of other plants.

Want to make a new much simpler tilting solar panel which can go from flat to just short of 90dg and fully swivel as well.

Fit 12v Klaxon horn.

Will be repainting roof centre in Cream due to some winter damage. Might also repaint from rubbing strake to gunwale again.

Will post as jobs completed.

Finally stuck down new bathroom floor and put in mastic edges - what a horrible job - glue everywhere and it's the devil of a job to remove, even off the hands. Mastic everywhere - on my knees for 4 hours...... all for a tiny little space.

20140315_182111_zps640d9a02.jpg

New grab handles to get out of saloon side door.

20140315_182130_zps845ea9a5.jpg