What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

I'm a few days late, but day one of cruising I fettled a cruising seat for my other half, who's legs aren't quite as long as mine. I can stand quite comfortably inside the trad hatch while steering and lean on the edge of the hatch, but she needs to sit up on the roof to be in a good position. Now she can do so in comfort!

End of day one, tying up, and Linn went to stow the lock handle away in the gas locker, and promptly knocked the regulator off of it's mouldy decaying bit of plywood, so I fettled a new mount for that - in a better place, cutting much of the dodgy pipework out of the equation!

Day two and I fettled new aft hatches, with shiny brass bolts and big drop forged padlock gasp. Sadly I have reused old vent covers, so there is improvement to be made there still...

Need to think about fettling a wall between bathroom and bedroom. As well as a bathroom door...

Over last few weeks sourced and sorted out the Back Cabin with a decent oil lamp and gimball, enamel kettle and put up some ribbon plates (sans ribbons). Thanks to Sean/Bren for the donation of plates.

20140320_162046_zps7d4ed481.jpg

Today I will be mainly drilling tapping and then welding the tiny hole in the top of my skin tank that caused my cooling water to pour out into the bilge and my engine temp to go sky high!!!! Even I can see the irony as last week I still had a mooring and electric, don't ya just love boating. Thankfully have international rescue man coming over to ensure I do it right.frusty.gif

We will be unfettling today and making the boat look worse :(

We are ripping out the carpets to use as templates to make the new ones. On the plus side though, this time next week Naughty-Cal will be sporting some brand new carpets which will look great :)

Just need the trimmer to do the leather seating then!

Who would have though taking out old carpets would have been so difficult?

Most came out really easy however one piece which sits under the saloon table was a bit of a mare! We suspect that at some point this piece has been taken out and glued back in with a different glue. Whatever it was they used was bloody strong. It was ripping the top layer off the ply floor!

They are all out now in the back of the car. Got the fun task of cutting the new ones this week.

Oh come on Martin, you are well aware of my total lack of computer skills.

I shall be installing said exhaust on Tuesday, you can do the pictures.

It's good the hear you are not good at every thing! smile.png

Edited by mark99

Lots of fettlage today:

Dismantled some shelves in the galley and turned them into firewood

Installed a small drawer unit in the galley which has made it much tidier in there.

Attached fixing plates to mend a split cupboard door in the stern, and mounted my screwdrivers and spanners on the back of the door so they're easy to access.

And I won't mention my sexified purple and yellow bathroom accessories since they're not considered fettlage apparently :P

Had a letter a few days ago to say my BSC was due to expire in just over 2 months, so sent some emails out late last night and got a reply virtually immediately from Nigel carton and was local in the morning and so arrived at 9.44am and thankfully my boat passed it's safety examination with one advisory, so well pleased with the professional and prompt service and my boat passing as it's always a nervous moment like having your car mot'ed.

Jamescheers.gif

I think it's worse than having the car MOTed!

Today I have a day off work whilst waiting for some carpet to be delivered.

Tonight Liam is going to cut Naughty-Cal's new carpets and hopefully glue them in on Saturday by which time she might begin to look like our beloved boat again rather than a ransacked shed :(

:D

New carpets!

But that's not a bad idea. I'm sure we could make a nice sized sail with what's left in the garage.

Having initially wondered if we had ordered enough carpet we had enough to make a full set if carpets, over mats for the galley and saloon and enough to make a second set of over mats for future use!

There is one space left in Pullman for last picture and despite searching for a decent print of canalalia I fount nowt I like.

So another train print is being framed for mounting.

280cba29a16483814c0e2c0cd754b796_image_6

Not sure about this brass lion head I fitted this week - needs centre-ing I reckon.

20140408_161557_zps8760cc06.jpg

Edited by mark99

Made the prototype seat to hang off the right hand hatch rail so I can rest my weary legs when steering.

Assembled a new exhaust system for Albion ( junior's boat).

Here is said exhaust.

20140412_094622_zpsbllvfvas.jpg

20140412_094542_zpsrjpxwpib.jpg

Having got my inspiration from Mark99, I went out and bought some red Hammerite yesterday and started throwing it round my engine room.

Thanks to Captain Fizz for fitting the new exhaust....it sound lovely!

A couple of weeks ago I took off the side doors to paint them. This, as anybody has done it, is a fiddly job. Two sides. three colours, four doors and loads of masking after rubbing down.

Finally got the last bit painted yesterday morning and left them on the bench to dry.

This morning my wife is getting out her gardening gear, pulled a leaf rake out of the bin she keeps them in. It was stuck. So after one big heave the rake came out closely followed by a gardening fork which flew over her shoulder and hit one of my doors.

Luckily it only chipped three tiny pieces - one red, one yellow and one bloody black!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear that, good luck with touching the marks up. Sod's Law bites hardest on anything to do with boats, as I'm sure you're aware. It's not just you.....years ago I was lettering a trad style tug locally. Nearby were trees. When the sun hit them, they released dandelion type spores which drifted and settled on the wet letters. It's the only " flock" lettering job I've ever done! Luckily, the owner was able to wash them off later. Not quite so lucky at Brinklow a few years ago. I'd just finished one side, letters and shading, when a rogue gust of wind swirled sawdust from the adjacent workshop......" Well, "said one of the workmen. ...." A blind surveyor will be able to feel the letters and know that they have the right boat!!"

The worst washed off later and the customer was understanding. Excrement occurs!!

Dave

Carpets are in but for now you will have to use your imagination as to what they will look like when the leather retrim is done.

89C96972-E4FB-4B1B-AFEA-2761A218109E.jpg

There has been one mishap today mind. Whilst scrubbing the canopies one section blew in so good old Liam had to get in and fetch it. That's the second in this year so far!

0C240757-B912-4BBF-8FF7-C8E7674820B6.jpg

biggrin.png

New carpets!

But that's not a bad idea. I'm sure we could make a nice sized sail with what's left in the garage.

Having initially wondered if we had ordered enough carpet we had enough to make a full set if carpets, over mats for the galley and saloon and enough to make a second set of over mats for future use!

There are companies around our way that do edge binding for mats, I expect there is one near you. Much better than just a cut edged bit of carpet as a mat.