What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

The 3 silver coloured studding bolts we use to keep the 3 side hatches securely closed

20140712_124347_resized_zps9cd94e7d.jpg

keep rolling about on the floor when removed after opening side hatch

- so made a little thing out of spare copper tube and elbows to keep them stowed in the engine room. Looking forward to being asked what the hell it is by passers by.

cand_zps3367a80f.jpg

Like it, could be something you would fine on Dr Who's Tardis LOL

Lovely and Shiny Mark. I would coat the whole lot it Inacralac if you heven't already as that would be difficult to keep shinyclean.

I can't quite make out what the bolts are made of, Is this simply studding a long and short nut for locking, is the shiny ball end a large ball bearing and is it actually thread affixed to the studing. Just curious!

Edited by Julynian

Julynian,

Originally studding with basic nut - too hard on fingers to tighten up so added a large heavy (but half hollow) crome ball (almost a hemispere) araldited into a super long nut. IIRC the hemisphere is a posh cupboard knob.

Looks like a boatmans candelabra. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Further to post #353 RLWP has fitted some side rail bearers to my LPWS3:

14736222312_0b6679e11f_b.jpg

14756370953_90de4916b3_b.jpg

Needless to say very pleased with Richard's work.

Engine a lot more stable and wobbles much less.

Edited by Ray T

I'm having a go at making a chimney chain after losing my old <cheap> one in the cut.

Not from ex gas mask bag clips cos they are stupid money but from some bits and pieces, araldite and brass clasps.

Should be ready next week when the final bits arrive.

I'm having a go at making a chimney chain after losing my old <cheap> one in the cut.

Not from ex gas mask bag clips cos they are stupid money but from some bits and pieces, araldite and brass clasps.

Should be ready next week when the final bits arrive.

Mark, it depends what you call "stupid money" but if you are prepared to wait and buy tatty bags the price is not too bad:

$_57.JPG

I just bought this for £9.01 off eBay, yes I will have to make up the link as it is the type with fabric between the D ring and the clip. But at that money and the bag being in poor condition I am quite happy the take the clips off and put the bag in the ragbag for recycling.

I agree I would not pay £30 + which is indeed getting into the realms of "stupid money".

Edited by Ray T

Hi Mark

Another option would be to use a string of Pony brasses, something I've seen before.

A few years ago tried to make a replica gas mask bag chain. The D ring is relatively straightforward, but the rest really needs a press to coax the clip around the bottom of the D....my attempts hang in a dark corner of my workshop, where they can stay!

Your fender is sitting here safely. Junior of this forum has also had one and is coming to collect it on Thursday. Would you like him to take yours and liaise? Just a thought .

Cheers,

Dave

Not exactly fettling but maintenance :

Changed the oil and filters for the first time with the engine hours on 9500.

Took 2 days.

Ordered & received (last week) Oil & 2 oil filters (so I'd have one ready for the next time) for an LPWS4, gave the serial number, build batch number and application - "in a narrowboat"

So - Monday, drained the oil out - easy peasy using the in-built pump then leaning over the engine virtually doing a head stand with stomach being slowly pierced by the engine lifting ring, removed filter.

Extracted body from the engine 'ole, reached for new filter and thought - 'hang on, not the same, not the same by a long, long way'

compared the two side by side and one was about 12mm bigger diameter than the 'old one' and almost twice as 'long'.

Phoned the supplier to be told, "O' yes there are five different filters for that engine depending on application and installation, - the girl - has just sent you the standard one, I'll send you the correct one.

So engine spends the night without oil or a filter.

Big white Jiffy bag arrives at marina this morning - funny shape I thinks - Instead of 2 nice new oil filters it contains 1 oil filter and one air filter - never mind I get the job finished and change the air filer - just because I can !!!.

Start engine, check levels and for leaks, decide on a half-hour run up the Trent and back. Everything hunky-dory, and ready for next weeks 4 or 5 boat Flotilla, birthday party and birthday BBQ

Fettled the bi-fold door on the shower cubicle. It's one of these:

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Catalogue/ProductDetail/bi-fold-shower-door-and-frame-160cmx64cm?productID=8dc987aa-780e-4b49-a9d9-d83bd725030a&catalogueLevelItemID=d45f36ab-bc64-42c1-8cb7-696f779c5d7a

and the hinges have dropped a bit as they've worn, so the bottom corner of the door crashes into the frame as it closes.

It turns out that the hinge height is controlled by grub-screws with 3mm hex heads in the ends of the centre hinge extrusion. so a bit of allen-key tweakage has it good as new.

MP.

• Greenie 1

Ray,

Thanks for the tip.

Mine will be made from chunky brass fittings from martingales (tack). It could be crummy - we will see.

Ok the chimney chain is finished.

It's made from vintage horse tack, aradite, brass links and brass picture hooks. It's 10 oz in weight.

The raw materials cost just over £29 (£8 of that was postage). The glue cost about £4.00.

chim_zps49a92389.jpg

Edited by mark99

Ok the chimney chain is finished.

It's made from vintage horse tack, aradite, brass links and brass picture hooks. It's 10 oz in weight.

The raw materials cost just over £29 (£8 of that was postage). The glue cost about £4.00.

chim_zps49a92389.jpg

I have your fender. Been trying to call you to sort out delivery.

• 1 month later...

Washed the saloon seat covers this evening. Getting the foam back in the fabric covers was "interesting".

Got the fixed bits to scrub at the weekend and some small bits we had removed to do tomorrow evening.

We had wanted to retrim the saloon this winter but the cockpit is getting some attention instead hence the scrubbing of the upholstery.

It sounded like an easy job yesterday!