What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

I took your advice as emphasising the gold aspect, which is far less important than the underlying quality of the bit wink.png

Tim

Well I didn't really think about it THAT carefully, I was just passing on my experience that the reassuringly expensive twist bits from my local tool merchant are very, very good indeed, and happen to be gold in colour.

MtB

Our house is being taken over by boat "stuff" at the moment with NC being out of the water!!.

Last night was washing ropes.

Tonight is washing fenders and the fender flutes are soaking in the kitchen sink as we speak.

Next week we have the lovely job of scrubbing and washing carpets.

Continuing the titivation of the internal walls of the engine room and back cabin.

Here are some more pieces just delivered from Dave M. Soon to be mounted in situ after being edged in brass. The panels are removable hence if we ever sell, we can take the personalised stuff out. I'm a sucker for good signwriting. wink.png

IMAG2755_zpsf88217db.jpg

Underneath Terences horse nose tin is a nice unexpected bonus.

IMAG2745_zps9c6d0bff.jpg

Edited by mark99

Framed/edged Dave's panels. When these two go in, the Engine room and Back Cabin is complete till next winter.

IMAG2757_zps52c417a6.jpg

IMAG2765_zpscdab32fc.jpg

Ok all finished.

A few shots of engine room and back cabin.

That's me done in rear of boat. :)

IMAG2778_zpscc0167e3.jpg

IMAG2814_zps235e4ea3.jpg

IMAG2815_zpsc9162e2d.jpg

IMAG2818_zps45194433.jpg

Looking good Mark99.

My job today was drill and tap 2 holes in a new casting for the stove. I'm almost ready to re assemble, have all the supplies ready. Next task is to give all the bits a coat of barbecue paint and then make sure I've got all the fasteners I need in stainless and go for reassembly.

The bad weather and the cold have put me off working outside so it got left but its time now to get on with things.

Looking good Mark99.

My job today was drill and tap 2 holes in a new casting for the stove. I'm almost ready to re assemble, have all the supplies ready. Next task is to give all the bits a coat of barbecue paint and then make sure I've got all the fasteners I need in stainless and go for reassembly.

Ta!

I drilled and tapped the Epping at the weekend and snapped off the tap in the drilled hole, of course then spent ages trying to drill it out to no avail.

Cue narky face......

imagesCAVQ336D_zps7c299bd0.jpg

Further to above post I have now fitted a new domestic gas regulator. I was not happy after a so called "professional gas registered fitter" came to clean out my pipes.

The boat failed its BSS certificate due to low gas pressure. The fitter came and drained some tan coloured liquid out of the system. However on dismantling the old regulator from the pipe work I found about a broad bean sized worth of paste in the regulator and pipe work immediately attached to it. On older systems this is quite common, apparently.

It seems I paid £45 for half a job.

On reassembling the system I used proper sealing paste and leak fluid detector.

I am now waiting for the BSS inspector to return for a retest.

Further to above post I have now fitted a new domestic gas regulator. I was not happy after a so called "professional gas registered fitter" came to clean out my pipes.

The boat failed its BSS certificate due to low gas pressure. The fitter came and drained some tan coloured liquid out of the system. However on dismantling the old regulator from the pipe work I found about a broad bean sized worth of paste in the regulator and pipe work immediately attached to it. On older systems this is quite common, apparently.

It seems I paid £45 for half a job.

On reassembling the system I used proper sealing paste and leak fluid detector.

I am now waiting for the BSS inspector to return for a retest.

Hope all goes well x

Today I removed the old floor covering in the back cabin and thereby revealed an inspection hatch in the floor. Under the hatch I found a universal joint in the propshaft that I didn't know I had.

It's quite a clever installation. The propshaft leaves the gearbox close to the baseplate. (It's a lister 2:1 box, and the reduction box drops the drive down). The first section of the propshaft runs under the bed and the cabin floor parallel to the baseplate. Then under the lower front section of the back step there's a bearing and universal joint that I've just discovered and a section of propshaft slopes up to another UJ and a thrust bearing (which I already new about) and the tailshaft. The tailshaft is about 18" above the baseplate and the forward part of the shaft is about 4" above the baseplate.

Whilst I had access I've greased the UJ and the bearing, and I'll try and maintain access when I fit the new flooring.

MP.

• 2 weeks later...

Socks029.jpg

Finally got this cleaned out, painted, re-assembled and mounted on it's bracket ready to fit on the boat.

It's a vintage CAV vehicle headlamp, 9" diameter and heavily made.

I wanted something old, but more understated and in keeping with the boat than a ( tasty nickable) Francis lamp.

Edited by andywatson