Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

Anyone know what happened to ARGUS? It was recently advertised by CBS (S8) with £5k as a "price tag" but went for much more than that apparently. Hopefully that one stays as a butty. 

IMG_1122.jpeg

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Happy 1

1 minute ago, Tim Lewis said:

IMG_1122.jpeg

Good to see it has the elum with it. In the CBS pictures it was missing. 

Really nice boat that one. The back cabin is steel and very well executed which helps. Nice that it has gone to a waterway trader. Cool. Thanks for the update. 

I used to buy coal from Peter Hawker when he had Argus and Bletchley I remember how well he kept and handled his boats. 

Its got some crazy dents in the bow which are recent. 

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, merline said:

All of the "Historics" at CBS have had a hefty price drop, got to be worth a look now surely? 

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/boats-for-sale/dealer-commercial-boat-services-411072/

Wow. Some substantial reductions.

I wonder how much they charge to transport the boat and put it back in the water? And do they allow you to do hull work to get a boat insurable before it leaves their site?

On 15/11/2023 at 08:51, Stroudwater1 said:

IMG_2023-11-15-084156.thumb.jpeg.adbc5b8df1d2fadad6896d9aa30cf9b5.jpeg

October 2023

See previous page, Angels lost her (seemingly nicely painted) name, any ideas why? 

Could it be that it looked awful bending the wrong way  And good taste prevailed?

Edited by zenataomm
Tits pecking through my bottle tops!
  • Greenie 1

14 hours ago, MtB said:

I agree.

I think any decent canal signwriter would be embarrassed to claim this as his or her work.

image.png.bfed13c2b571540eb4a6828977053bc7.png

i knew of one who would be proud of that and tell you it is balanced

• Greenie 1

The worst examples are vinyl boat names that are straight and don't follow any sort of hull shape at all. Bee has "Stourport on Severn" in  vinyl lettering and to get it to look OK each letter is cut out and  applied separately to follow the curve of the hull.

Who writes this stuff: "built by Harland & Wolff in 1937 with 10/6/4 plating" even allowing for metric equivalents if H&W put a 10mm bottom on they must have made it thicker than the first ones, mine was only 5/16". Would that 4 figure refer to the 4mm wooden cabin? Which moves us on to "the back cabin is largely unchanged from its days of cargo carrying": well if you count the old wooden cabin having been removed and a new steel cabin put in its place I suppose it is largely unchanged, apart from being made of a different material, a different shape, doors through to the engine room.....😂

Edited by davidg
  • Greenie 3

I like the bit where they say genuine rivets. 

In case anyone is not sure this ain't no washer josher you're looking at. 

I think the 10 6 4 thing is a 'now you feel comfortable' type of marketing BS. 

I guess they are trying to widen the potential number of buyers. 

Doesn't look like the original steerer's step. I suppose it might be. 

On 15/11/2023 at 08:51, Stroudwater1 said:

IMG_2023-11-15-084156.thumb.jpeg.adbc5b8df1d2fadad6896d9aa30cf9b5.jpeg

October 2023

See previous page, Angels lost her (seemingly nicely painted) name, any ideas why? 

That is surely the first time I have ever seen a tonneau cover on the baack of a butty!

• Greenie 1

The guy who is selling Chiswick, supposedly it was his first boat. He did not own it long. That's probably where the BS comes from. Would have thought brokerage in braunston would have made suggestions on edits...

1 hour ago, DShK said:

The guy who is selling Chiswick, supposedly it was his first boat. He did not own it long. That's probably where the BS comes from. Would have thought brokerage in braunston would have made suggestions on edits...

as they host the Braunston historic boat gathering...... quite!!