FW filling hose stopcock.

jeanb

Featured Posts

The obvious question is, why fit anything? The naked end of a hose fits perfectly adequately into our water tank inlet. You can monitor when its nearly full, whip the hose out and redirect it (there's going to be a canal nearby...) and then walk to the water point to turn it off. Or ask your partner to turn it off. Or simply fill to nearly full.

So my question is, what's special about your boat or requirements to need a fitting on the end?

Standard Hoselock type  fittings are versatile and there is a good variety. 

Should you need bespoke, If you have half-inch hose a piece of 15mm copper pipe can be inserted and retainex by a jubilee clip.  You can then fit a 15mm compression lever ball valve to the copper pipe and another piece of pipe to the valve.

The last piece of pipe can be modified to suit the tasks you have.  Open end fits in the tank filler,   Small holes drilled along the pipe give you a sprinkler, for example.

Note the advice above regarding  stop valvves and water pressure.

N

Many thanks for replies thus far. I am about to renew my fresh water filling hose but the old plastic valve and 12 inch nozzle that fits in the filling pipe are completely decrepit, like its owner. Our aim is to stop any water spilling/splashing at the forward end. (58 ft narrowboat with a cratch). We have no desire to stop the water, just to stop what remains in the hose pouring into the well deck. 

1 minute ago, jeanb said:

Our aim is to stop any water spilling/splashing at the forward end. (58 ft narrowboat with a cratch). We have no desire to stop the water, just to stop what remains in the hose pouring into the well deck. 

1. Turn off water at water point just before its full

2. Shake end of hose and hold above its previous level (I challenge you to be able to hold it below its previous level, while withdrawing from the tank) and withdraw from the tank

3. Put hose outside of boat, then step off and sort out hose ready for storing.

£0 spent

• Greenie 1

43 minutes ago, Paul C said:

You can monitor when its nearly full, whip the hose out and redirect it (there's going to be a canal nearby...) and then walk to the water point to turn it off. 

You're right no fittings are required, but I have a closeable nozzle (that's never closed), just because it came with the hose and fits into the filler neck nicely.

Have you ever left the bow doors open with the hose from a decent pressure tap filling the tank? Once when the tank was full the hose nozzle shot out the tank filler and landed on the deck pointing into the bedroom, resulting in one soaked mattress! I always close the bow doors now! 

34 minutes ago, Paul C said:

1. Turn off water at water point just before its full

Do you really monitor your tank as it's filling so you know when it's almost full?

That must be like watching paint dry. I've got better things to do. 

I just let it fill and perhaps waste a bit of water. Guilty as charged.

42 minutes ago, jeanb said:

. We have no desire to stop the water, just to stop what remains in the hose pouring into the well deck. 

Isn't your well deck self draining? What's the problem with water on the deck?

Again, very many thanks all for replying. Basically it is decrepitude, we’re both on the wrong side of 75 and don’t want too much water getting our doormat wet. 

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Do you really monitor your tank as it's filling so you know when it's almost full?

That must be like watching paint dry. I've got better things to do. 

I just let it fill and perhaps waste a bit of water. Guilty as charged.

Isn't your well deck self draining? What's the problem with water on the deck?

Is this for me or the OP? Anyway for me, no, because the water fill point (and the well deck) are self draining. But I understand that the OP's situation is different to mine (see above post re: wet doormat).

8 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Is this for me or the OP? Anyway for me, no, because the water fill point (and the well deck) are self draining. But I understand that the OP's situation is different to mine (see above post re: wet doormat).

I was going to post a Michael Caneesq quote about moving the doormat, but thought better of it in case it upset anyone.

Mine has a Hozlock garden hose jet spray thing on the end, which is good for washing down.  I leave it on, shut it off, turn the tap on and return to fill my tank. I leave it on to dribble while I turn the tap off, this prevents me getting a spurt of water up my arm when I disconnect from the tap. I fill my neighbour's tank without the end fitting, their hose is decrepit and takes ages, but they have a short hose with a Hozlock lever valve on the end, I connect to that. If I turn the tap full on, the hose jumps out of the filler hole, so I only turn it on a little at first and then open the tap fully when it has settled down. It may be air in the hose that causes that.

17 hours ago, jeanb said:

Again, very many thanks all for replying. Basically it is decrepitude, we’re both on the wrong side of 75 and don’t want too much water getting our doormat wet. 

Slightly tangental to your query, if you're worried about wet decks and/or doormats, have you thought of something like DriDek matting? I have this in my cratch, gas locker and on the steerer's step - rain or spills drain away underneath it leaving you to stand on a dry and thermally insulated surface at all times. Not cheap, but very effective, good looking and long lasting -  similar solutions by other brands and cheaper knock-offs are available.

58 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Does it work OK ?

The direction of flow 'arrow' shows you are actually filling from the wrong end.

Yes. simple ball valve 👍

one these screws into your tank 1 1/4” to 3/4” bsp reducer then screw a hose lock adapter on the small end, when the tank is full and starts running out of the overflow turn the tap off, no need to sit and watch the tank filling.

IMG_1950.png

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The direction of flow 'arrow' shows you are actually filling from the wrong end.

Indeed, but only relevant if you want a reliable long term complete seal when the valve is closed.

1 hour ago, Clanky said:

one these screws into your tank 1 1/4” to 3/4” bsp reducer then screw a hose lock adapter on the small end, when the tank is full and starts running out of the overflow turn the tap off, no need to sit and watch the tank filling.

IMG_1950.png

I've got this setup but in a  plastic waste fitting end cap with the quick hose fitting glued in the end 👍 works great. 

Edited by Jon57
Add

Some idiot boater is removing the hoselock type fittings on the taps up here on the aire and calder.

What is wrong with people.

I now carry one in my pocket, but make sure I dont leave it on the tap.

I can understand forgetting after filling the water tank, but not from the elsan hose, which was then left on the ground,  nice.

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Some idiot boater is removing the hoselock type fittings on the taps up here on the aire and calder.

What is wrong with people.

Erm, don't think they are supplied as standard, you provide your own.

My first ever huge reverse was going back to the services at Calveley to retrieve the one i'd forgotten