FW filling hose stopcock.

jeanb

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Does it work OK ?

The direction of flow 'arrow' shows you are actually filling from the wrong end.

Works perfectly.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Some idiot boater is removing the hoselock type fittings on the taps up here on the aire and calder.

What is wrong with people.

I now carry one in my pocket, but make sure I dont leave it on the tap.

I can understand forgetting after filling the water tank, but not from the elsan hose, which was then left on the ground,  nice.

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

Erm, don't think they are supplied as standard, you provide your own.

My first ever huge reverse was going back to the services at Calveley to retrieve the one i'd forgotten

I thought they were only fitted on Elsan taps. 

On 18/03/2024 at 13:33, jeanb said:

I would appreciate some advice on a stopcock and nozzle fitting on the boat end of our fresh water filling hose please.

We have the following system. 

There are hoses of various lengths which can be joined if necessary to make a long (or very long) hose. The hoses have female hozelock connectors on both ends. When not in use the hoses are coiled and  the ends are joined with a male-male connector which stops crap getting into the hose and dregs of water getting out. The male-male connectors are used to join hoses when more than one is needed. We use a 3/4" BSP hozelock adapter on the water point to attach the hose. At the boat end of the hose we use a device which is permanently made up of these components, in order. A 3/4" BSP hozelock adapter, a standard washing machine valve (3/4" BSP one side, 15mm compression on the other) , about 5cm of copper pipe, a 15mm compression elbow and finally another 10cm length of copper pipe. 

The device allows you to turn the water on and off as required, and the elbow allows the discharge end to be hooked into the filler so it stays in place even when the water pressure if very high.

All this uses components which are readily available and cheap and easy to assemble. I'd recommend using brass hozelock fittings. Plastic ones are OK, but they wear faster and need periodic replacement  if you're a liveaboard and filling up multiple times a week,

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

17 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Erm, don't think they are supplied as standard, you provide your own.

My first ever huge reverse was going back to the services at Calveley to retrieve the one i'd forgotten

They are normally fitted on the Elsan if it has a plastic pipe on it, one is not expected to supply ones own dedicated elsan short hose., though I believe that  tap should have a non return valve to ensure no contamibation of mains supply.

The water point had a nice brass fitting last week, but no longer.

In a thread which discusses, in detail, how to fill the water tank, there has been no mention of hose quality. 

I have a yellow hose which is fairly kink resistant, I bought it with a fitting kit, and cut it into two lengths, one standard, and one for extension, the plastic kit includes an adapter to join the pipes up again should the tap be too far from the mooring point, which occasionally happens.

I would avoid buying a hose on a hose reel  as they are just a waste of time and take up too much room, also awkward to reel in compared to coiling by hand.

I once had a stretchy hose, which was fine, very compact in storage, but the brass fitting to hose failed after three years.

Green hose is cheap and prone to kinking, not the best, in fact, the worst!

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

They are normally fitted on the Elsan if it has a plastic pipe on it, one is not expected to supply ones own dedicated elsan short hose., though I believe that  tap should have a non return valve to ensure no contamibation of mains supply.

The water point had a nice brass fitting last week, but no longer.

In a thread which discusses, in detail, how to fill the water tank, there has been no mention of hose quality. 

I have a yellow hose which is fairly kink resistant, I bought it with a fitting kit, and cut it into two lengths, one standard, and one for extension, the plastic kit includes an adapter to join the pipes up again should the tap be too far from the mooring point, which occasionally happens.

I would avoid buying a hose on a hose reel  as they are just a waste of time and take up too much room, also awkward to reel in compared to coiling by hand.

I once had a stretchy hose, which was fine, very compact in storage, but the brass fitting to hose failed after three years.

Green hose is cheap and prone to kinking, not the best, in fact, the worst!

The nice brass fitting on the  water tap was probably inadvertently left by a boater. We consider it a bonus if we find a water point has a brass or plastic fitting on it as we usually  use our own. Maybe things are a bit different up north". 

We have hose reel and don't find it a "waste of time" at all 🙂 . One of the benefits is that when not in use both ends of the hose are attached to it and no wee nasties can crawl inside

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/03/2024 at 10:51, Jon57 said:

These hoses are great. Dispite the name they save a lot of time and space 😁

17109317842655522017063177356495.jpg

17109318257584744812099192303132.jpg

17109318434032612706529658207024.jpg

17109318659654372244969428993813.jpg

Well, with so many hoses available, you are set for life.... 😀