Storm Babet

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Anybody in Sheffield? The missus is going up there for one of the grandsprogs birthday piss ups, is it under water round there?

Bits of it are.

Looks like Liam is going to have an interesting drive home after work!

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/floods-sheffield-today-live-people-27950344

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Anybody in Sheffield? The missus is going up there for one of the grandsprogs birthday piss ups, is it under water round there?

I remember the city, wwhere I was brout up, as very hilly, soif some bits are under water, there will still be peaks to cling to.

Meanwhile, here in the Fens, it's rained all night and all day, but the Old River Nene doesn't appear to have risen at all - well done, Middle Levels.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Athy said:

I remember the city, wwhere I was brout up, as very hilly, soif some bits are under water, there will still be peaks to cling to.

Meanwhile, here in the Fens, it's rained all night and all day, but the Old River Nene doesn't appear to have risen at all - well done, Middle Levels.

Serious flooding if the whole of Sheffield was underwater! 😱😱😱

17 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I feel I should be loading animals two by two. Any one object if this time we leave the rats to drown?

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

19 hours ago, matty40s said:

You just wait...

Have a plan B, with an escape route.

The previous highest recorded level at Sheffield Ladys Bridge was 4.471

This is tommorow afternoons prediction.

IMG_3161.jpeg.4226d16a200bfeac547d443f4481d5bc.jpeg

18 hours ago, Jon57 said:

I predict it won't be as high. Just like my pension fund. Not worth the paper written on. 😬

17 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

I agree. The automated EA predicted river levels are really often wrong.

8 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Csn you make sure to post the actual chart after the peak passes so we can compare, please.

So not over 6 metres then! Actually just shy of 3. I'm not saying it's not bad in the Don Valley just that the EA predictions are wildly inaccurate.

Screenshot2023-10-20172810.png.85969b29d1fb0bd59b539d8d3ff461b4.png

2 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

I'm a short walk/paddle from Lady's Bridge now, and this is the highest the Don has been since 2007.

That's not a good thing.

And the rain is still falling heavily and not forecast to ease off until around midnight here.

It will be a long night for many tonight!

Not quite at the highest recorded levels here yet but the rain is still falling heavily and the river still rising.

Screenshot_20231020_181144_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e8bba7f6a6665dfa1dd1b44a87b24625.jpg

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

I'm a short walk/paddle from Lady's Bridge now, and this is the highest the Don has been since 2007.

That's not a good thing.

Water still rising here but the forge islands meter says its going down! Not sure what's going on really? I have a picture here of it a foot off going over the wall and joining the canal

20231020_175619.jpg

Good nurse me.

Back in the inner city with some Columbian doubles on the fire. The country estate boat seemed ok this morning. The River is big and we only had about an inch of rain unlike some areas further north which seem to have had 2 or 3 inches over the last 24h. 

Where are you @matty40s Sileby Lock is looking for someone to look after it in these flooded times!!

Seriously had to go into Nottingham around lunchtime and returned home about 3 hours later and the Soar had risen by over a foot in that time, Quite how high it is now I don't know. We were planning to go and do some jobs on Tyto tomorrow but I doubt if we'll get down the lane to the boatyard without paddling. There is standing water on many fields and brooks are over flowing and still it rains.

4 minutes ago, bluelapsing said:

Beginner question and maybe it belongs somewhere else but mooring during this heavy rain - is it OK to do so as usual or are there precautions you can take? 

The non-stop rain in Stafford is starting to worry me more than slightly 🤨

Depends where you are.

I'm sure the canal at Stafford is higher than the river. I recall canoeing across various fields there in a flood in the late 90s but don't remember it being a problem for the boat which was moored on the canal. 

9 minutes ago, bluelapsing said:

Beginner question and maybe it belongs somewhere else but mooring during this heavy rain - is it OK to do so as usual or are there precautions you can take? 

The non-stop rain in Stafford is starting to worry me more than slightly 🤨

If you are on a canal then usually not much to worry about as the level will stay around the max for the section you are on.  We are at Great Haywood and the level appears to have gone up a couple of inches but it is probably run well over the bywashes now.  Just keep an eye on your mooring lines and make sure they aren't too tight.

If you are on a river or a section that may flood then different ball game.

M54 closed due to flooding, alternative route took me via Bangor on Dee, roads a mess, seriously deep puddles/new lakes all over the place and that's not including the roads that usually flood.

If it's this rough over this side of the country all I can say is good luck over there

19 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

If you are on a canal then usually not much to worry about as the level will stay around the max for the section you are on.  We are at Great Haywood and the level appears to have gone up a couple of inches but it is probably run well over the bywashes now.  Just keep an eye on your mooring lines and make sure they aren't too tight.

If you are on a river or a section that may flood then different ball game.

Fantastic - thanks so much. I’m going to inch my way towards Great Haywood this weekend so if you see someone ticking along looking inordinately panicked that’ll almost certainly be me