Bad Language. A Reminder.

Jen-in-Wellies

Featured Posts

47 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

So, no personal attacks on other members. No matter how upset you've got. This should go without saying.

Has there been a change in policy then? 

Last (and only, I think) time I reported a personal attack on me Athy rejected my complaint, commenting that what the poster had written was factually correct, so the post stands. Which faintly amused me. 

On the one hand we are exhorted from time to time to stick to the rules, but when I report a breach of the rules the report tends to be rejected or treated flippantly, so nowadays I don't bother. 

P.S. I think I'd reported a post by Higgs calling me a "sanctimonious prig", or something along those lines :) ... I suppose he had a point.

Edited by MtB
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I was going to write, "don't use any word you wouldn't have said in front of your grandmother",

I was 6 when my grandmother died, and we all had to sit silently in the parlour when we visited the grandparents house so bugger that.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I was going to write, "don't use any word you wouldn't have said in front of your grandmother", but I don't doubt that there are people on here whose grandmothers habitually swore like wounded pirates, so that was never going to work.

i have been notified for using f-word, probably forum software flagged. I am a fan of using f-word as qualifier. :)

Anyway, I do want a crackdown on personal attack, no matter how tempting it is, one should not do it and consider it as weakness of character.(and we do fail time to time, its a failure nevertheless)

However its so prevalent on this forum, we probably need a start date of such enforcement. Otherwise people will complain, 'why did you not act upon xyz comment posted 2 days ago'?

Edited by restlessnomad
  • Greenie 2

22 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

At one time we had a school girl who was a regular contributor. I know the langue that kids use, but what would you say in front of a 13 year old girl. I think her name was Wooly or something similar 

'Wooly Jumper' -

Sorry, wrong thread, thats for the 'rust' thread

• Happy 1

Well that should effectively kill the activity in the politics section which is currently pretty well 99% personal attacks and very little actual debate.

Unless of course the politics section is going to continue its apparent excemption from moderation.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Last (and only, I think) time I reported a personal attack on me Athy rejected my complaint, commenting that what the poster had written was factually correct, so the post stands. Which faintly amused me. 

He does have a rather odd outlook when it comes to personal interactions, generally preferring to exacerbate any potential conflict rather than trying to pacify it - a rather strange position for a moderator. Sometimes it was actually him starting the arguments! 

• Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

I got told off recently for using the word tw@t in a post when referring to a TV presenter. Apparently there had been complaints. I can't help thinking that anyone who finds that particular word offensive in this day and age when it's not directed at them must have led a very sheltered life.

Edited by blackrose

56 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I was going to write, "don't use any word you wouldn't have said in front of your grandmother", but I don't doubt that there are people on here whose grandmothers habitually swore like wounded pirates, so that was never going to work.

All my family members use rude language very liberally including my children. 

I have always used the c and f words since they were little. It is normal for us and their mum is French and uses all her rude ones as well. 

I did explain to the kids that some people take a fence and you have to be careful but yes a lot of people view it as normal. 

My parents were terrible for it when I was a kid the dad calling the mother a 'c...' and her telling him to 'f... off' 

One gets used to these things. 

I'll try harder not to post s... on here out of respect for the more prudish. 

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I got told off recently for using the word tw@t in a post when referring to a TV presenter. Apparently there had been complaints. I can't help thinking that anyone who finds that particular word offensive in this day and age when it's not directed at them must have led a very sheltered life.

It's considered to be swearing in some parts of the country apparently. It's a four letter word, though not Anglo Saxon. 

I believe @Athy has led a very sheltered ! life.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, restlessnomad said:

I think personal attack have never been enforced, but it should. 

No view on bad language, some of them do add colour to conversation. :)

MY problem is what is considered bad language.  For example, in a recent discussion on toilets, we were told not to use the four letter word for feaces.  I have heard the four letter version used in public and on TV but it would appear it is unacceptable on here.

Equally using the first two letters then 1 and then the last letter has, for the 12 years or so I have been a member, been accepted.   If it is why object to the usual word they both look the same.

There are times when moderation has driven me away for two or three months, if things get any sillier I will have to give myself another break.

8 minutes ago, blackrose said:

See Ofcom Guidance as linked to by Jen - "The moderators have a liking for OFCOM's research on acceptable language in broadcasting." - You may (or may not) find it offensive - I may (or may not) find it offensive. Tw@t is in the "moderate" category from Ofcom which I treat as "depending on context" (and thanks for the side discussion while I was typing on the merits of Tw@ versus Tw@t)

From a personal perspective (not as a Mod) the forum would improve if language was kept reasonable - there are other, less offensive words than S#!t for what comes out of a pump out; use them!

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, wandering said:

The C word is a term of endearment where I'm from... 😂

30 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I got told off recently for using the word tw@t in a post when referring to a TV presenter

It is a slang term for a woman's sexual organ and used in the same context as the C word

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1