R I P Nigel Moore

Dyertribe

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Sad news;

Sadly Nigel passed away on 23rd August. He had been suffering from terminal cancer.
He will be greatly missed

Thanks for reposting.

Such sad news. An incredibly knowledgeable man always generous with his wisdom and advice.

RIP Nigel x

Edited by Ange
Because autocorrect turned RIP into Rip
  • Greenie 1

R,I.P. Nigel, whom I met only once (he turned up at our house asking about our end-of-garden mooring) but for whom I had, and have, great respect. He was an erudite man who would go to great lengths to advise and help other members.

Was he actually a legal professional?

I met Nigel a couple of times and took him on a boat ride on the tidal Thames a couple of years ago where he hadn't been for years despite living in Brentford. He had his lady with him who is most pleasant. 

His passing is a serious blow to anyone wanting to challenge unfair or illegal practice by CRT because he was always happy to share his immense knowledge of the law around waterways and help people who deserved help. 

Rest in peace Nigel. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 4

Nigel was not

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Was he actually a legal professional?

We did speak with Nigel several times about our successful petitioning against the British Waterways Bill in the 90s, but haven't been in touch for several years now and had not heard he was seriously ill. Nigel was not a legal professional, but did act as a "McKenzie friend" in several cases - a person not allowed to speak in Court himself, but who may offer support and advice to a litigant, a role extablished in the 70s under the European Convention on Human Rights. His knowledge and his willingness to share it will be sorely missed.

Tam

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

No, I dont think so. Nigel went to great lengths to study and learn legalese in order to challenge unfair and illegal practice by BW, their legal arm, and then CRT.

He did this to help others and himself protect their abodes and moorings at first, and then to assist others against the might and wealth of the waterways, developers and Shoosmiths where they were trying to circumvent or ignore law or historic navigation rights. He wouldn't defend cases willy nilly, only where his knowledge of the law and history showed him that there was fault. He also spent considerable time challenging the Middle Level Commisioners to make sure that the new legislation was fair and correct within their control.

A true scholar, gent and knight for the trodden on.

RIP Nigel.

There are not many like him about with his knowledge of waterway legislation, we are in a worse place without him

• Greenie 1

Sad news and condolences to the family.     Whilst I never had the pleasure of meeting him and I  enjoyed reading his posts and learnt many things from his writings.  Fair winds and a following sea. 

Edited by Dharl
  • Greenie 1