Conflicting advice about loo roll in pump out toilets

Featured Posts

Any loo roll will do, such as Thetford try to sell their " special " stuff at fifty pounds a roll and its just a con. My macerator stoopid toilet will deal with any amount of any bog roll without any problem. However NEVER use any kitchen towel!!

As many after fit cloakrooms in buildings use a macerator toilet ordinary toilet paper should be fine but NEVER things like wet wipes, Jcloths and sanitary products.

you should take precaution to prevent the build up of scale in the macerator, several topics about it on the forum. I think its white vinegar applied regularly.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

As many after fit cloakrooms in buildings use a macerator toilet ordinary toilet paper should be fine but NEVER things like wet wipes, Jcloths and sanitary products.

you should take precaution to prevent the build up of scale in the macerator, several topics about it on the forum. I think its white vinegar applied regularly.

Thank you!

20 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I would also steer clear of the luxury types, like Quilted etc. I think it was Bruce on Sanity who did lots of tests on different types. As well as wet wipes don't put paper handkerchiefs or anything that says flushable on the packet down.,because they are not. 

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Bee said:

The cheapest stuff from the cheapest store. It doesn't need to be 'quilted', 'triple layered' 'scented' or have pretty flowers on it!

+1 from me.

Cheapest of the cheap, breaks down much better than than the more luxury types.

As is often said, "if you didn't eat it, don't put it down the loo!"

Bod

• Greenie 1

2-ply works for me.  Leesan advice was - put a couple of [clean] sheets in a kitchen bowl with water; swirl around with a wooden spoon or the like and if it disintegrates then its good for the pan!

I've unblocked a vacuum generator a few times too many to not abide by the advice

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

2-ply works for me.  Leesan advice was - put a couple of [clean] sheets in a kitchen bowl with water; swirl around with a wooden spoon or the like and if it disintegrates then its good for the pan!

I've unblocked a vacuum generator a few times too many to not abide by the advice

Ive done something similar a few times, but fingers are as good as a spoon, never found one that won't break down very quickly, even the new "hint of cotton" types are ok.  I also tried leaving a wet wipe in a jar of water for six months and that showed zero sign of decomposition.

...........Dave

Yes to all the above.

We have a macerator pump out, known to it's friends as the chortling bog monster due to the noises it makes.

It is very fussy about paper it will accept. We use the cheapest supermarket own brand stuff which keeps it happy.

Unblocking the gubbins is not a nice task.

(You may wonder how I know this)

i can recommend ASDA's Smartprice Toilet Roll, just double it over and don't be too vigorous unless you want to know how Sooty felt.

i made a quick sign for our shareboat as someone (assuming guests of other sharers) insisted on putting wet wipes down the loo, was also a sly dig at one of the owners i know who lost his specs down the pan whilst inspecting it :D

Streamline Loo Sign.jpg

• Happy 1

When we had our share boat the rule was always cheap 2 ply only loo roll - cheaper the better!.... thicker ones can cause issue?

By the way our toilet is called 'shane the sh*t monster' :)

Edited by robtheplod
  • Greenie 1

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Any loo roll will do, such as Thetford try to sell their " special " stuff at fifty pounds a roll and its just a con. My macerator stoopid toilet will deal with any amount of any bog roll without any problem. However NEVER use any kitchen towel!!

Does it not matter what you mean by kitchen roll. The el cheapo (about my only practical experience!) paper roll should be OK, the real problem, IIUC is with wet wipes style material which has been said to be the cause of many a stoppage notice for those disposal points that use a pumped system to get rid of the sewage.

40 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Does it not matter what you mean by kitchen roll. The el cheapo (about my only practical experience!) paper roll should be OK, the real problem, IIUC is with wet wipes style material which has been said to be the cause of many a stoppage notice for those disposal points that use a pumped system to get rid of the sewage.

kitchen roll these days contains a lot of plastic to stop it ripping so easy when cleaning up those pesky spills etc. its not woven or fibrous like baby wipes but could still give trouble i guess.

7 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

kitchen roll these days contains a lot of plastic to stop it ripping so easy when cleaning up those pesky spills etc. its not woven or fibrous like baby wipes but could still give trouble i guess.

Some kitchen rolls are incredible strong and insoluble. Regina Blitz is my favourite and is better than "blue paper" for paint brush cleaning, engine oil change and fuel filter changes etc. Its particularly good for fuel filter cleaning up as it remains totally strong even when soaked in diesel and does not shed any fibres. Would be really bad down the bog.

.................Dave

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Basic kitchen roll still jams, it's the fact it is  uilt differently to bog paper. My macerator clears any amount of any bog roll easily but deffo not kitchen stuff. 

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

At home I have some "Plenty" Kitchen Roll, this year I used a sheet in a tray of water to set some seeds on. 3 weeks later and the kitchen roll even being soaking all that time can still be picked up in one sheet with all the tiny plants on it,  I was hoping by this point it would be ready to decompose so I could just pull small bit of with the seedlings on it t set out, no way, ts tough as old boots.

Actually its ideal for what its designed for,wiping up spills and putting in the bin.

It used to be the cheapest was always 2 ply smooth and fine. However recently as a result of gentrification we find that even the cheapest has quilt patterns on it, use that with great care it does clog up the gubbins. I have had problems with Tesco paper even though smooth, lidl and aldi have not given problems as well as being cheaper but poundland takes some beating.