Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Bewildered

Covid-19, 14 day rule?

Featured Posts

If the government are now saying not to travel unnecessarily will CRT be suspending the 14 day mooring rule?

or will CRT staff be out in force to disinfect balance beams and paddle gear?

just wondering aloud, as a live aboard shopping occasionally is necessary but continually cruising is arguably not.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to travel unnecessarily means avoid crowded trains, buses and try to dodge big lumps of people in stations or motorway caffs.  I don't think you're in much danger toddling down the cut on your tod.  It's a nice excuse for those who don't want to CC properly (not suggesting this is what the OP is doing!), but I don't think it will, to coin a phrase, hold water.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

If the government are now saying not to travel unnecessarily will CRT be suspending the 14 day mooring rule?

or will CRT staff be out in force to disinfect balance beams and paddle gear?

just wondering aloud, as a live aboard shopping occasionally is necessary but continually cruising is arguably not.

 

If you become ill CRT will I am sure allow an overstay just inform them, in fact I think they have said as much.

Otherwise boating is, I imagine, so low risk for contracting the virus that I see no reason to stop moving, just practice normal hygiene as you would normally when boating

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely if you want to minimise your chances of getting Covid 19 it is better to move away from others, something not possible in a house.

 

After all a moving target is harder to hit 😁🤣

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the infection rate in London keeps climbing at the current rate, we might see all the London Boaters start to move!

 

It could start to get quite busy on the canals leaving London ...

Edited by TheBiscuits
Grammar
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

If the infection rate in London keeps climbing at the current rate, we might see all the London Boaters start to move!

 

It could to get quite busy on the canals leaving London ...

Do such boats have a homing device which sends them all back to Whilton Marina?

Edited by Athy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

If the infection rate in London keeps climbing at the current rate, we might see all the London Boaters start to move!

 

It could to get quite busy on the canals leaving London ...

And then the shiny boaters out in the home counties will be complaining and wishing they had all stayed in London🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

If the infection rate in London keeps climbing at the current rate, we might see all the London Boaters start to move!

 

It could to get quite busy on the canals leaving London ...

One would have thought that most of the London boaters work in London and if they left they would have to travel back in, therefore making the chances of contracting corona virus higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are many factors, it seems, that have come about over the fear of catching COVID 19. The run on Supermarket supplies, is a concern, the need for basic medication is getting harder to obtain and the main phone networks have just crashed through people working at home. These are unique times, but for those on the boats there is the advantage of less contact with others. However what will the fate of the canal side pub as less people come to use them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two weeks annual leave to take from work by the end of april.  The thing I was planning to do with those 2 weeks now seems out of the question so I was thinking of doing a longish cruise up north with the time.  Seems like a sensible idea to me!

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

 Introduce yourself to your neighbours. (from a distance) we need to be there for each other during this crisis. The boating community is in a better position to do this than land lovers. We sort of do it already.

Sounds like we all need to start practicing our semaphore

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Heartland said:

There are many factors, it seems, that have come about over the fear of catching COVID 19. The run on Supermarket supplies, is a concern, the need for basic medication is getting harder to obtain and the main phone networks have just crashed through people working at home. These are unique times, but for those on the boats there is the advantage of less contact with others. However what will the fate of the canal side pub as less people come to use them?

No they haven't. I'm on EE which is classed as one of the "main" and my phone still works. My Internet is supplied by Virgin and that still works otherwise you wouldn't see this post.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

No they haven't. I'm on EE which is classed as one of the "main" and my phone still works. My Internet is supplied by Virgin and that still works otherwise you wouldn't see this post.

Yeah...no problems with three mobile either. Was hotspotting my laptop through my mobile on the boat this morning no issues...And in a rural spot! Stop scaremongering!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Heartland said:

However what will the fate of the canal side pub as less people come to use them?

Being both compassionate and selfish this was my first thought when considering the impact on cruising. Local to where I moor there are 4 or 5 pubs who's survival I fear for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Slim said:

Being both compassionate and selfish this was my first thought when considering the impact on cruising. Local to where I moor there are 4 or 5 pubs who's survival I fear for.

The pub here in Great Bedwyn does take outs...might be a way for them to go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Heartland said:

There are many factors, it seems, that have come about over the fear of catching COVID 19. The run on Supermarket supplies, is a concern...

Ocado is broken.

 

Their app is disabled and if you log onto their website you get a message that “You are in a virtual queue. You are number 3647 out of 4123. Your wait time is approximately 2 hours”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well  as to mobiles the following notice appeared some 25 minutes ago- so the issue might be local. Here in Birmingham calls to local radio stations stopped.

 

Major phone networks in the UK have reportedly gone down or are having issues, leaving Britons struggling to work from home in the coronavirus outbreak. UK mobile networks O2, EE, Vodafone and 3 are all said to be struggling just one day after Boris Johnson told people to avoid workspaces. Problems with O2 were initially reported to Down Detector at about 9:14 GMT, while concerns have been raised across the country about other networks. Many customers have taken to social media to complain they have not been able to make calls all morning, with some claiming business had already been dramatically slowed down.

 

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/17/uk-mobile-networks-o2-ee-vodafone-3-go-people-work-home-12410145/?ico=pushly-notifcation-small&utm_source=pushly?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This self isolation business is easy. Leave house, get in car, drive to marina and get in boat. Don’t need to have contact with any one. 😃

 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ray T said:

This self isolation business is easy. Leave house, get in car, drive to marina and get in boat. Don’t need to have contact with any one. 😃

 

....except when you stop to buy your provisions to take with you.

 

(unless you have been "panic buying" them already :D)

34 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I have two weeks annual leave to take from work by the end of april.  The thing I was planning to do with those 2 weeks now seems out of the question so I was thinking of doing a longish cruise up north with the time.  Seems like a sensible idea to me!

We are thinking along similar lines: we have booked a pénichette on the Canal de Garonne for a week in May - quite a long time away but the bug may not yet have passed over by then. So we may take 'Trojan' out instead and cut our losses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.