Covid-19, 14 day rule?

Bewildered

Featured Posts

57 minutes ago, Loddon said:

No bother.

I do find that article  worrying.

I  have been out today, managed the whole thing without touching any surfaces apart from the items I purchased,

They are now in quarantine for 72hrs until I use them and my hands washed.

Have booked online weekly shops until May will keep extending that weekly.

Really am not going out unless I have to, even getting my favourite beer delivered and that has to stand for 72hrs to settle after the journey.

How are you achieving that? We have great difficulty in finding any slots on either Sainsburys or Tesco

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We got one this morning for the end of next week (with Asda).

I have never used Asda for on line shopping but I do visit occassionally for bottled ales. However, I would still like to know how Loddon has managed to get slots up to the end of May as the supermarkets are only offering slots for the next three weeks.

38 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

How are you achieving that? We have great difficulty in finding any slots on either Sainsburys or Tesco

Waitrose 

I struggled to start with but got the first couple in before the upswing.

Then spent from 0300-0430 one morning booking the later weekly slots as site was unusable during the day.

Plenty of slots locally to me (North Devon) at the end of April but nothing for the next two weeks or so.

One of the advantages of living in rural Devon ;)

ETA My last booking is 29th April I have just checked and I can book slots up to late June, will be doing that later.

Edited by Loddon

54 minutes ago, WotEver said:

And Ocado is now shut completely. (For the next couple of days.)

But there business has grown more a lot. I wonder what Tesco numbers are like with all the stock they have shifted, faster than they can replace it

We had a Tesco click and collect yesterday morning first thing, we got about 40% of the stuff, and much of that was substitutions.  Apparently we were very lucky to have got a loaf of bread.  We did later in the day decide we would brave the shop, and it was basically stripped bare, and as was suggested not a single bread product.  Fruit and veg was OK though, but that is about all.  No toilet roles or kitchen towel of course, no meat, nothing in the freezers, no beer (there were probably a few bottles, but none of the packs of cans).  They did have wine so we got a few bottles.  We decided we would go to Sainbury's, and that was better, they did have meat and bread and some beer.

Last night we decided there is no way we will get toilet rolls, I am not queuing at 4am for anything, so we looked on line and ordered some from Staples.  I expected the order to get cancelled, as they would not really have any, but about an hour ago I had the email to say the order had shipped and will be delivered tomorrow.  The only thing wrong is the cost of course,  twice Tesco, but then that is supply and demand I guess.  I seems you either get dedicated or splash some cash at the moment.

Sally has booked the next Tesco click and collect slot, but the first available is the beginning of April, and who knows what we will be able to get by then.

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

We had a Tesco click and collect yesterday morning first thing, we got about 40% of the stuff, and much of that was substitutions.

We have one from ASDA coming on Monday (booked a week or two ago) and I’ll be pretty pee’d off if that’s the case with our delivery. I was warned online that if I amended the order after it was placed  I’d lose stuff like pasta and rice so I would presume therefore that by not amending it I will receive those items. 

16 minutes ago, WotEver said:

We have one from ASDA coming on Monday (booked a week or two ago) and I’ll be pretty pee’d off if that’s the case with our delivery. I was warned online that if I amended the order after it was placed  I’d lose stuff like pasta and rice so I would presume therefore that by not amending it I will receive those items. 

When I see the folks in ASDA picking the shopping for home delivery and click and collect they do it on the day the order is due. So if something shows as in stock when you order that doesnt guarantee it will be in stock the time the order is assembled.

That is why you get substitutes.

6 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

When I see the folks in ASDA picking the shopping for home delivery and click and collect they do it on the day the order is due. So if something shows as in stock when you order that doesnt guarantee it will be in stock the time the order is assembled.

That is why you get substitutes.

If so, I’ll be well pee’d off. 

4 hours ago, Loddon said:

Waitrose 

I struggled to start with but got the first couple in before the upswing.

Then spent from 0300-0430 one morning booking the later weekly slots as site was unusable during the day.

Plenty of slots locally to me (North Devon) at the end of April but nothing for the next two weeks or so.

One of the advantages of living in rural Devon ;)

ETA My last booking is 29th April I have just checked and I can book slots up to late June, will be doing that later.

what is the difference between what you are doing and panic buying?

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

I hope they do better then Tesco on that, they said similar they you would loose stuff if you checked it out again, so did not.  But did not help.  We had toilet rolls and beans on there for example but did not get them.

5 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I've just tried and there are no slots available at all with Tescos . Someone I know locally tried Sainsburys and Waitrose earlier, same answer. Basically having decided to self isolate (aged 73, widowed, no children) I have about 3 weeks after which I either starve or play Russian roulette. That wouldn't be so bad but our political masters are still advising me to "self isolate and arrange home delivery for food" What world do they live in?

19 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Would you rather they picked at time of order and some of it was past its sell by date?

On the face of it with Tesco it looks like what they do at Christmas with things like turkeys, so not so much that they pick it early, but they make certain on the delivery days it is put aside for you, but that’s not working, at least it did not for us.

37 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Would you rather they picked at time of order and some of it was past its sell by date?

The specific items that they mentioned and which I was referring to have sell-by dates measured in years. Items such as rice and pasta. So yes, I would expect those to be picked or reserved at the time I place the order. Particularly when they specifically inform me that I won’t get them if I amend the order, which implies that I will if I don’t. 

52 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I don't think that's a symptom of the magpie flu' yet...

Nor that of the crow, raven, rook, jackdaw, jay, treepie, chough, or nutcracker flu...

Edited by WotEver

19 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I hope they do better then Tesco on that, they said similar they you would loose stuff if you checked it out again, so did not.  But did not help.  We had toilet rolls and beans on there for example but did not get them.

Bad form. I’ll let you know on Monday. 

29 minutes ago, WotEver said:

The specific items that they mentioned and which I was referring to have sell-by dates measured in years. Items such as rice and pasta. So yes, I would expect those to be picked or reserved at the time I place the order. Particularly when they specifically inform me that I won’t get them if I amend the order, which implies that I will if I don’t.

It is quite clear from your comments that you have never used on-line shopping before. The items may be in stock when you place the order, but they are not picked from the shelves until a few hours before your scheduled delivery slot, by which time they may be out of stock, in which case you may get a substitute or not get the item at all. That's how it works.

I don't know which supermarket you are trying to order from, but both Tesco and Sainsburys allow you to ammend your order up to 24 hours before your delivery slot, and nothing is lost from your order unless you remove it, but if they do not have an item you ordered when the picking is done, you will not get it.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1