Covid-19, 14 day rule?

Bewildered

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Mine is working.

(What obvious things ?)

Really?  You weren't aware that an unprecedented number of people are working from home and self isolating, and are therefore relying on things like skype to keep in touch?

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Everything is working perfectly on my 02 dongle? Perhaps the lesser suppliers are struggling??

No.  O2 is just as badly affected as any other.  It's also probably the worst network overall for coverage and speed so not sure what you mean by lesser.

https://downdetector.co.uk/status/o2/map/

T-mobile is currently the least affected.

Edited by doratheexplorer

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Really?  You weren't aware that an unprecedented number of people are working from home and self isolating, and are therefore relying on things like skype to keep in touch?

Indeed, just following the ADVICE of the Government who cannot be responsible enough to issue an 'instruction'.

However - it has absolutely no effect on either my Land Line or my 3-Mobile.

Skype, Wi-Fi, Hotspots, Data all unaffected.

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

No.  O2 is just as badly affected as any other.  It's also probably the worst network overall for coverage and speed so not sure what you mean by lesser.

My o2 works everywhere I have been unlike the crap 3 I used to have. I have used it north south and midlands. I am in a poxy boring house today with a bt wifi which I have turned off and gone back to my portable dongle as its quicker. Maybe other factors are at play?

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Indeed, just following the ADVICE of the Government who cannot be responsible enough to issue an 'instruction'.

My o2 is the same, completely faultless on the dongle. However I have switched the poxy landline dinosaur bt thing off as it was going even slower than normal. I will check tonight in the pub if anyone else has had a problem?

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

My o2 works everywhere I have been unlike the crap 3 I used to have. I have used it north south and midlands. I am in a poxy boring house today with a bt wifi which I have turned off and gone back to my portable dongle as its quicker. Maybe other factors are at play?

O2 currently suffering the most:

Capture.PNG

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That would be like me saying I haven't caught  coronavirus, therefore it doesn't exist.  :banghead:

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

Capture.PNG

That would be like me saying I haven't caught  coronavirus, therefore it doesn't exist.  :banghead:

You are hard to get through to arnt you watch my lips  MY O2 IS WORKING FAULTLESSLY as in WITHOUT FAULT as it always does..................jeesus are you one of the experts that is expert on something they dont even use?

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

Capture.PNG

Disagree, it may be like saying that London has a severe dose of it but the rest of the country is virtually unaffected and some parts showing no effect whatsoever.

Maybe O2 just is overloaded where you are, it is not overloaded elsewhere

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You are hard to get through to arnt you watch my lips  MY O2 IS WORKING FAULTLESSLY as in WITHOUT FAULT as it always does..................jeesus are you one of the experts that is expert on something they dont even use?

Yes, so you keeping saying.  Many other people's O2 will be working fine too.  Nobody is disputing that.  It doesn't change the fact that there are system outages happening all over the country.  Rather than get narky about it, you could just be happy that you are thus-far unaffected.  Not sure what Jesus has to do with that, I'm far from an expert but in the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king - or so they say.

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Disagree, it may be like saying that London has a severe dose of it but the rest of the country is virtually unaffected and some parts showing no effect whatsoever.

Maybe O2 just is overloaded where you are, it is not overloaded elsewhere

My network reception is self-evidently fine, however:

Capture.PNG

2 hours ago, Athy said:

....except when you stop to buy your provisions to take with you.

(unless you have been "panic buying" them already :D)

We are thinking along similar lines: we have booked a pénichette on the Canal de Garonne for a week in May - quite a long time away but the bug may not yet have passed over by then. So we may take 'Trojan' out instead and cut our losses.

Not clear how you will get there unless you fancy rowing across the Channel!

You guys seem to be struggling to understand how system outages work.

The simplest comparison would be with a traffic jam.  It could be caused by a big accident, which could happen anywhere and will bring everything to a halt within a defined area.  Or it could be caused because there are simply too many cars out on the roads causing generalised congestion and tailbacks all over the place, although these will be concentrated in the most densely populated areas, while sparing less populated areas like north wales.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Not clear how you will get there unless you fancy rowing across the Channel!

Ryanair is favourite, flying to Bordeaux, followed by train to Agen. Similar remarks apply: it depends whether the bug has run its course by then, as Ryanair have been cancelling some flights lately (though this morning their web site appeared to deny this).

7 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Good God!! Some people could start an argument in an empty room

...and we know why it's empty!

Living in Kent whenever there are more people working from home than usual the phones struggle. Typical situation is wake up to snow try to phone office you keep trying for 4 hours before you suceed, the phone exchanges and masts etc are sized to cope with a normal demand plus a bit. Put 2 or 300 percent extra on and it crashes. Looking at the map you notice that non residential areas seem fine, just to many trying to work from home. It will happen every day till people go to the office where the system has the required capacity.

12 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The simplest comparison would be with a traffic jam.  It could be caused by a big accident, which could happen anywhere and will bring everything to a halt within a defined area.  Or it could be caused because there are simply too many cars out on the roads causing generalised congestion and tailbacks all over the place, although these will be concentrated in the most densely populated areas, while sparing less populated areas like north wales.

I think they are bored and enjoying the sport.

28 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I was simply responding to your statement 

"Skype is also down"

Which is blatantly untrue because for many of us it isn't 'down'

It may be 'down' in a certain area but, as a whole, it is certainly not 'down'.

Had you said "Skype is down in Manchester / London" then that may well have been correct.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Athy said:

....except when you stop to buy your provisions to take with you.

(unless you have been "panic buying" them already :D)

We are thinking along similar lines: we have booked a pénichette on the Canal de Garonne for a week in May - quite a long time away but the bug may not yet have passed over by then. So we may take 'Trojan' out instead and cut our losses.

At least now the govt has said no travel you wont lose your deposit!

1 minute ago, Halsey said:

At least now the govt has said no travel you wont lose your deposit!

We've paid for the boat-hire part of the holiday, and if we cancel, them we'll lose some money. If the company does, we shan't.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

We've paid for the boat-hire part of the holiday, and if we cancel, them we'll lose some money. If the company does, we shan't.

As you might say still a bit of water to go under the bridge yet...…………..

We keep threatening to do the same thing for a change and it was on this years list but we didn't do anything about it - I suppose if the restrictions lift there might be some late deals about in September! 

4 hours ago, Bewildered said:

If the government are now saying not to travel unnecessarily will CRT be suspending the 14 day mooring rule?

or will CRT staff be out in force to disinfect balance beams and paddle gear?

just wondering aloud, as a live aboard shopping occasionally is necessary but continually cruising is arguably not.

It will also be interesting if it is decided to continue with boat hiring. The turn round cleaning is going to have to be thought out very carefully, and what will happen if someone falls ill during a holiday.

I have a share in a self managed boat syndicate of 12 owners, and we are also going to have to give some serious thought to cleaning and hand-over protocols.

Howard

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Do you not have travel insurance (from before last week, obviously!)

Yes. But, though I haven't checked, I shouldn't think we'd get anything from them if we cancelled the booking.

7 minutes ago, Halsey said:

We keep threatening to do the same thing for a change and it was on this years list but we didn't do anything about it - I suppose if the restrictions lift there might be some late deals about in September! 

This would have been (may still be) our fifth year in a row hiring from Locaboat, via the very good Blue Water Holidays in Yorks. I suspect that there may well be bargains to be had later in the year.

Just for information, my BT landline download speed is 35 Mbps which is pretty much my normal speed.  Near Nantwich linking to a Manchester server.

Vodafone working fine.

I had an email from Vodafone recently saying they have plenty of capacity and aren’t expecting significant outages.  No doubt there will be occasional local drops in service, but they will come back, just as they do in more ‘normal’ times.

18 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Do you not have travel insurance (from before last week, obviously!)

Don’t rely on travel insurance.  I thought it would help in these sorts of situation when we we still going to the Six Nation match in Rome that should have been last Saturday.  It was not until the match was called off and then the government banned travel to Italy that we got the bulk of out money back from the suppliers.  In no circumstance was the travel insurance going to help, unless we were stuck abroad and actually got the virus, then it would have covered medical costs.

Next time we travel I will be looking very carefully at the terms of the insurance.

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No they haven't.

They have simply 'advised' that you shouldn't travel.

My bad - I thought they had gone far enough to trigger Insurance cover...………………..why should I be surprised that the government is protecting insurance companies - same with Pubs if they closed them officially they would in many cases be covered to a degree (assuming they had a policy of course).

19 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Don’t rely on travel insurance.  I thought it would help in these sorts of situation when we we still going to the Six Nation match in Rome that should have been last Saturday.  It was not until the match was called off and then the government banned travel to Italy that we got the bulk of out money back from the suppliers.  In no circumstance was the travel insurance going to help, unless we were stuck abroad and actually got the virus, then it would have covered medical costs.

Next time we travel I will be looking very carefully at the terms of the insurance.

That's possibly because you didn't tick the box for cancellation cover?

Edited by Halsey