First time hirers. Advice please?

junior

Featured Posts

My partner and i, plus 2 friends will be having our first holiday onboard a hire boat in the first week of September. We have a week from Droitwich Spa Marina on an ex. Black Prince boat.

We plan to do the Droitwich Ring, which i believe is do-able in 3 average days. That leaves us 3 more days. I like the idea of going up Tardebigge and into Birmingham, but i think this would only be worth the work if we could get 2 nights and one whole free day in Birmingham. Does that sound feasible?

We don't want to be boating 12hrs a day. More like 4 in the morning and 4 in the afternoon with a lunch break, but i do realise if we break off mid ring and head for Birmingham this will require a long day on the day up and the day back down.

Any advice for which way round the ring to go, pubs, moorings to avoid etc?

Go easy on us, we are first time hirers.

Busman's holiday? (Or account hack!)

I'd probably go anti-clockwise, that way if there are any issues with water levels under the M5 culvert you can have an easy recovery plan. Plus it puts you downstream on the Severn.

Tardebigge etc locks are pretty slick but it is long day from tardebigge bottom into Brum, probably 10 hours. 12 hrs + from Hanbury Jn.

Hi Junior. I'd say trying to do Tardebigge to gas street in a day (is that what you suggest, so to have the third day free in Bham?) is a bit much for anyone especially if you are novices and haven't done locks before. But if you find you are enjoying lock's then they are a beautiful flight of locks so worthwile in my opinion even if you don't make it to Birmingham. Ifor it was my choice I'd prefer an extension of the ring to Gloucester or Tewkesbury or Stourport as these will be easier and still plenty to see. Droitwich too is a lovely town with lots to explore. Also good moorings above the 2 locks at Hawford before the river (going anticlockwise) and in Worcester above the Diglis River locks. Hope you have a good time!

Remember that you can't turn around a long boat like the one you are hiring except at winding holes and junctions - you need to plan this.

(slightly more seriously, I would go down to Tewkesbury or up to Stourport rather than Birmingham.)

Edited by Tiggs

There is sufficient time to do this trip, Martin. The Droitwich Ring is an easy weekend hire and therefore is a full two days rather than three.

Overall it probably works best going anti-clockwise around the ring. On the first day 90 minutes of pretty intense cruising - five locks including a staircase, the M5 tunnel, the canalised River Salwarpe and the swingbridges in Vines Park will bring you to Netherwich basin moorings at the far end of Vines Park in Droitwich. There is a Waitrose next to the canal for supplies if you don't want to bring much with you. Gardeners Arms and Hop Pole pubs plus one decent restaurant if you want to eat out somewhere a bit posher.

Second day the cruise along the Droitwich Barge Canal is beautiful but the locks are hard work. Lunchtime should see you onto the Severn and below Bevere lock for the Camp House Inn. Then an easy afternoon cruise done the river to Worcester where it's probably best to moor overnight either immediately above or on the plentiful moorings below the third lock.

I think from there Birmingham in two days is perfectly feasible with an overnight stop on Stoke Pound visitor moorings which are between the Stoke and Tardebigge flights (which are no more than a quarter of a mile apart). The pub opposite is the Queens Head. Book now if you want to eat there. It's a place that divides opinion but there is no good reason why you shouldn't go there.

From the bottom of Tardebigge to Birmingham I would say is eight hours cruising - three up the flight and then five into Birmingham. Tardebigge locks are in a very rural setting and they are quick to operate so I wouldn't worry about them. They are less daunting than it looks but overall the climb from Worcester to Birmingham is a slog simply because of the volume of locks. In themselves the locks are lovely.

If you can manage that I would suggest you have a full day in Birmingham and head back to Alvechurch on your fifth full day. Try booking the Weighbridge at Alvechurch Marina - it's a real ale pub owned by ABC which does meals but it is small and the only time I tried to eat there I couldn't get a table. The village is a bit of a walk and there is nothing at Tardebigge. Absolutely do not be tempted to walk from Tardebigge new wharf (between tunnel and locks) to the pub of the same name - it is a 0 out of 10 place.

For the last night maybe aim for the Boat & Railway at Stoke Works which although is a straightforward Marston's pub it wears it lightly and does solid food and drink in an atmosphere that happily combines locals and boaters. To put it into context at Easter I did Birmingham to Stoke Works in one day with my wife and 14 and 8 year old kids.

That will leave you nine locks to get back so it may be an early start if you choose to stop at Soke Works (not sure on hand back time) so you may choose the Eagle & Sun at Hanbury Wharf but that isn't a place I seek to go if I can help it (but my mum likes it).

Jon

Personally I think the trip to, or near, B'ham is far,far more interesting than the dull dull dull Severn. Did I mention it was dull?

Agreed Edited by Captain Pegg

I'd suggest watching a few boats going through some locks (both directions/up and down) before you take the boat out....

Here is a few things to be sure of:

1. Going downhill...make sure the stern of the boat is forward of the cill....as you can get into real trouble if your rudder/skeg gets caught while a lock is emptying.
  2. Going downhill...make sure the bow of the boat can't get caught on anything sliding down the front gates and get hung up.
  3. Going uphill, ...make sure the bow fender of the boat can't get caught on the front gate..which will force the bow down while the stern is rising.
  4. Going uphill....before you open the upstream gates and leave the lock, make sure the upper pound has enough water in it to ensure the boat doesn't get caught on the lock exit.
  5. When operating locks, beware of well meaning people trying to help you...especially if they are trying to rush you in a lock. Some folk don't respect who is in charge of the lock and whip open the paddles before the person steering the boat is happy for them to do so.
  6. Be very careful of tying the boat centre line to a bollard to secure the boat while it is going to be moving upwards. The rope will pull the boat over sideways.
  7. Be very careful of putting a rope around a lock bollard...even if you think you'll loosen it manually as the boat rises.
  8. Wear non slip shoes.
  9. Watch out for projecting stones on the side walls of locks that can hook the boat.
  10. Keep side fenders up when going through locks. The gates can rip them off, and they can cause the boat to jam. (especially if sharing with another boat).
  11. Get the hire base to show you how to clear the weed hatch if you get a rope or sofa tangled around the prop.

Have a great time :)))))

Personally I think the trip to, or near, B'ham is far,far more interesting than the dull dull dull Severn. Did I mention it was dull?

Depends on how many times you have done it. I find the trip from the top of Tardebigge into Birmingham fairly dull too. These are real "first timers" so will find the Severn wonderful, I'm sure.

closedeyes.gif

Depends on how many times you have done it. I find the trip from the top of Tardebigge into Birmingham fairly dull too. These are real "first timers" so will find the Severn wonderful, I'm sure.

:closedeyes:

It's a different thing altogether though isn't it, a narrow canal or a major river? Junior posted some time ago saying he wanted to go to Birmingham as part of this trip. If he likes the hire company and likes the taste of the Severn he will get then maybe he will want to do a different trip another time. The Severn south of Worcester is hardly a must see part of the network. I will concede it is very pleasant between Worcester and Stourport but at the end of the day if you want to experience canals - and dare I suggest that's primarily what most narrow boaters do - then it isn't going to win over the Worcs & Birmingham. Personally I don't find Tardebigge to Birmingham at all dull.

JP

I agree the Severn can be dull to some, but Gloucester docks and Tewkesbury more than make up for it.

It comes down to preference, but the OP and crew can see what they make of doing locks as they leave Droitwich and change plan to do more/less locks with their extension as they like. Plenty of routes in that part of the network!

If the OP does a there-and-back into Brum - then they should have plenty of time - perhaps even a visit to the BCLM....

The Avon is (quite) pretty, but you're down amongst the scenery and there's (virtually) no al fresco moorings.

Yet again the Severn gets a bashing. To each their own I suppose but I'd definitely take a trip down to Gloucester/Sharpness over Tardebigge and Brum. Also, Junior has been to Brum a few times to my knowledge. Have you been down to Gloucester Docks?

Yet again the Severn gets a bashing. To each their own I suppose but I'd definitely take a trip down to Gloucester/Sharpness over Tardebigge and Brum. Also, Junior has been to Brum a few times to my knowledge. Have you been down to Gloucester Docks?

But I think that's the point. Yes Gloucester is great, as are Tewkesbury, Worcester and Stourport. However between those moments of excitement is a lot of boring river droning where the scenery, whilst pleasant, remains fairly constant most of the way. You are always at the lowest point of the land and often can't see much beyond the banks.

Whereas on the canals you get a different vista round every corner. You are sometimes below ground (in a cutting), above ground (on and embankment or aqueduct). There are locks to operate (a lorra locks in the case of the W&B!) and tunnels (you don't get many tunnels on rivers!).

Edited by nicknorman

Dave,

The thread shouldn't be about the Severn; Junior asked about the trip up the W&B to Birmingham not about where he should go.

I struggle a bit with a thread which to brutally paraphrase runs like this;-

Q. I would like to go round the Droitwich ring, up the Tardebigge locks and visit Birmingham. What do you know about it folks?

A. I would do the Severn instead

I know it's an open discussion forum but I find it does help to answer the question that is posed not the one folk wished had been asked. What any of us would do on a weeks hire from Droitwich marina isn't the issue. It's not like Junior doesn't know his stuff so I take it that he wants to explore another canal that his day job doesn't take him on.

JP

Thanks everybody for the advice so far. I can't answer everybody individually as in depth as I'd like, but I'll add a bit more info to clear up my reason/thinking for the trip up to Brum.

Part of the criteria for the holiday is that we DON'T go boating all day every day from dawn to dusk. That really would be a busmans holiday for me.

We don't want to go hell for leather round a ring nessesatating in 12 hours days. I'd like to be able to stop for lunch etc, something i never do these days.

The other main criteria is that we have time to do something AWAY from the boat and that it is not purely a boating holiday. This is where my idea of the trip to Brum comes in.

I was hoping we could potter round half the ring (haven't actually looked at a guide book yet), break off with an early morning attack on Tardebigge and get into Birmingham that evening in time to go out for a meal and drink. We then have a whole day to go out in the city, some shopping, sightseeing etc followed by another evening in Brum on the boat.

An early start the next day and back out of Birmingham and down Tardebigge by dusk. The next morning we continue pottering around the rest of the Droitwich ring.

It's the Ring > Birmingham > Ring section that I'm hoping to get some reassurances from people that it is actually doable and will give us the we want in Birmingham. I know it will be hard and long days up and back down, but i think the free day in Birmingham will be reward.

I'm also under a bit of pressure being 'the organiser' that my plan isn't fantasy and i end up making everyone do 70 odd locks to then only have time for a quick meal in Birmingham because my planning was massively out. I think i can persuade them to see the benefits with the promise of a day sightseeing and a clear day between coming up and down Tardebigge.

It seems from some of the comments from locals, that my plan may work how i hope it to!

Edited by junior

Whilst September can be a good month for weather, it is possible that the Severn could be 'in flood'.

So a contingency plan will be required.

This is good advice. The Severn can also flood in: January, February March, April, etc, etc, so you can keep your contingency plan for future use too! No wasted effort there. :D

I would say that from the Kings Head at the bottom of Tardebigge to Old Turn is a very full days boating, but possible. Don't forget that the diversion to Birmingham from Hanbury Junction is more than Tardebigge and is in fact 42 locks each way, so you add 84 locks by going to Birmingham. The diversion with a day off in Birmingham is going to add 4 days to the trip, so with the Droitwich ring it is just dooable in the hire week I think, but hard work and not too much time for stopping other than in Birmingham I think.

What about not doing the whole Droitwich ring but just going to Droitwich, having a look round or an evening there depending on the timing, then retracing your steps and going up to Birmingham. This will make the trip a bit more relaxing yet you will see the nice bit of the Droitwich and Birmingham. I am basing this on when we did the Droitwich a few years ago and after Droitwich is was like boating up the amazon. Very high reeds on both sides and no where much to stop and if the Severn is in flood you have to turn back anyway.

haggis