First time hirers. Advice please?

junior

Featured Posts

Can any locals tell me what they think of the following as a plan?

Day 1) Droitwich Spa Marina to Stoke Pound. Short day, about 15 locks.

Day 2) Stoke pound to Birmingham. Long day, 35 ish locks.

Day 3) Free in Birmingham.

Day 4) Birmingham to Stoke pound. Long day, 35 ish locks.

Day 5) Stoke pound to Worcester. 25 locks, long day.

Day 6) Worcester to Hawford. 4 locks, short day on River

Day 7) Hawford to Droitwich. 7 locks, short day.

Day 8) Droitwich to Droitwich Spa Marina. 4 locks, short day to return boat to marina.

Can any locals tell me what they think of the following as a plan?

Day 1) Droitwich Spa Marina to Stoke Pound. Short day, about 15 locks.

Day 2) Stoke pound to Birmingham. Long day, 35 ish locks.

Day 3) Free in Birmingham.

Day 4) Birmingham to Stoke pound. Long day, 35 ish locks.

Day 5) Stoke pound to Worcester. 25 locks, long day.

Day 6) Worcester to Hawford. 4 locks, short day on River

Day 7) Hawford to Droitwich. 7 locks, short day.

Day 8) Droitwich to Droitwich Spa Marina. 4 locks, short day to return boat to marina.

It's a good and achievable plan.

Day 1 - I assume you plan to be away in good time as this will take 3 to 4 hours. Stoke Pound (Br 48) visitor moorings are opposite Queen's Head pub (I am pretty sure the CRT signage refers to them as Queen's Head visitor moorings). Get booked in now if you want to eat there.

Day 2 - this will be 30 locks which you will have polished off well before lunch. Beware that although the top of Tardebigge is a lovely place there is nowhere to buy anything so have some refreshment ready on board to celebrate completing the longest flight on the network (cue someone telling me it isn't!). Failing that head to Alvechurch for some refreshment and/or lunch at the Weighbridge. I reckon on eight hours cruising on this day unless the weather is inclement and slows you down on Tardebigge.

Day 4 - advantage over Day 2 is that you will be at the pub having completed Tardebigge locks. Again possible lunch stop at Alvechurch.

Day 5 - this is a full but not overly long day. The locks are spread out through the day and possible lunch stops would be the Eagle & Sun at Hanbury or Bridge Inn at Tibberton. Moorings in Worcester are mostly at Mill St below lock no. 3 which would be 26 locks in total.

Day 6 - this is a very short three to four hours day. Options would be to have a lie in, or pitch up for an extended stay at the Camp House Inn below Bevere lock, or cruise the Severn toward Stourport and back. The moorings at Hawford are above the second lock so including one lock on the Severn there would five locks in the day. You will be stuck on the boat at Hawford once you are moored there. I don't think that there is anywhere you can sensibly get to from the towpath as the moorings are mostly a refuge clear of the Severn. There is little or no mooring further on.

Day 7 - another day of similar duration. The Barge canal is very rural and peaceful but the locks are heavy although there will only be five left to do. They are wide enough to share with another boat. The secure moorings at Droitwich are immediately through the railway bridges and past the Railway Inn. It's the less attractive approach but don't be put off. Take a walk through the park once you are moored up and visit the Gardeners Arms or head into town (or both).

Day 8 - this will take 90 minutes as the swing bridges and flood lock in Vines Park take a bit of time before you really get anywhere. It must also be one of the weirdest 90 minutes of canal boating on the network.

Jon

Edited by Captain Pegg

Day 1 - I assume you plan to be away in good time as this will take 3 to 4 hours. Stoke Pound (Br 48) visitor moorings are opposite Queen's Head pub (I am pretty sure the CRT signage refers to them as Queen's Head visitor moorings). Get booked in now if you want to eat there.

Day 2 - this will be 30 locks which you will have polished off well before lunch. Beware that although the top of Tardebigge is a lovely place there is nowhere to buy anything so have some refreshment ready on board to celebrate completing the longest flight on the network (cue someone telling me it isn't!). Failing that head to Alvechurch for some refreshment and/or lunch at the Weighbridge. I reckon on eight hours cruising on this day unless the weather is inclement and slows you down on Tardebigge.

Day 4 - advantage over Day 2 is that you will be at the pub having completed Tardebigge locks. Again possible lunch stop at Alvechurch.

Day 5 - this is a full but not overly long day. The locks are spread out through the day and possible lunch stops would be the Eagle & Sun at Hanbury or Bridge Inn at Tibberton. Moorings in Worcester are mostly at Mill St below lock no. 3 which would be 26 locks in total.

Day 6 - this is a very short three to four hours day. Options would be to have a lie in, or pitch up for an extended stay at the Camp House Inn below Bevere lock, or cruise the Severn toward Stourport and back. The moorings at Hawford are above the second lock so including one lock on the Severn there would five locks in the day. You will be stuck on the boat at Hawford once you are moored there. I don't think that there is anywhere you can sensibly get to from the towpath as the moorings are mostly a refuge clear of the Severn. There is little or no mooring further on.

Day 7 - another day of similar duration. The Barge canal is very rural and peaceful but the locks are heavy although there will only be five left to do. They are wide enough to share with another boat. The secure moorings at Droitwich are immediately through the railway bridges and past the Railway Inn. It's the less attractive approach but don't be put off. Take a walk through the park once you are moored up and visit the Gardeners Arms or head into town (or both).

Day 8 - this will take 90 minutes as the swing bridges and flood lock in Vines Park take a bit of time before you really get anywhere. It must also be one of the weirdest 90 minutes of canal boating on the network.

Jon

That will be our plan then!

Is there much 'flow' on the Severn in normal conditions/green boards? And if we are going from Worcester to Hawford, are we heading into it, or with it?

Is there much 'flow' on the Severn in normal conditions/green boards? And if we are going from Worcester to Hawford, are we heading into it, or with it?

No. In fact at the moment there is a low water level warning out for parts of the Severn so I doubt you will detect any current. Worcester to Hawford is nominally upstream but unless there is a lot of rain, you won't notice it.

This always confuses me so i tried to word my question so the reply would be whether I'm going WITH the flow or into it (if there was a flow of course)?

Upstream means you are going into the flow. Against the flow. You will be slowed by the flow. Etc!

This always confuses me so i tried to word my question so the reply would be whether I'm going WITH the flow or into it (if there was a flow of course)?

Even with a reasonable flow on you will find that being on open water you can go as fast or faster than on the static, but confined, waters of the cut.

Even with a reasonable flow on you will find that being on open water you can go as fast or faster than on the static, but confined, waters of the cut.

Quite, I would have thought above Worcester right now you will have no problem doing 4mph going upstream, the upstream speed limit is 6mph.

If that's your final plan, Junior, then it's a good one. Plenty of variety in the content of your days - apart from the two on Tardebigge, and there's no getting around that.

We've done the Severn on a couple of our hire trips over the last thirteen years, and enjoyed it both times. It's definitely worth revisiting it for all those places that are mentioned, with the best part of the trip being the entry into Gloucester Docks. On our last trip on the Severn, about four years ago, we did half of the lovely Avon as well (went back two years later to finish that) and had to push hard against the flow to get through the last lock at Worcester before it closed for the night. It's nice once in a while to be able to give an engine a good run!

Best of luck with your trip - I think you will owe this thread a report when you come back!smile.png

There shouldn't be too much of a flow if the boards are green. That said, I did it on my 55ft narrowboat with a 30hp engine and it was certainly hard work going upstream. I would imagine the ex black prince boat is more suitably powered though.

Just bumping this as I've been checking out the river section on Google Maps.

When coming out onto the river at Worcester the lock looks to be at a funny angle. We will want to turn right to head for Hawford. I believe if there is any flow, it will be coming from the right, ie I'd be turning into it.

I take it the best course of action is to come out and turn left, leaving lock wheelers behind to close the lock. Go down to the mouth of the next lock to wind and then come back up to the pontoon below the lock and collect lockwheelers?

It looks like we will have 1 River Lock to contend with. Are these manned or user operated? If manned, do you ring ahead?

Turning into the lock at Hawford looks pretty straightforward with a pontoon below as a lock landing.

When coming out onto the river at Worcester the lock looks to be at a funny angle. We will want to turn right to head for Hawford. I believe if there is any flow, it will be coming from the right, ie I'd be turning into it.

I take it the best course of action is to come out and turn left, leaving lock wheelers behind to close the lock. Go down to the mouth of the next lock to wind and then come back up to the pontoon below the lock and collect lockwheelers?

It looks like we will have 1 River Lock to contend with. Are these manned or user operated? If manned, do you ring ahead?

Turning into the lock at Hawford looks pretty straightforward with a pontoon below as a lock landing.

Since a hire boat got stuck on the weir trying to turn right against the flow there are signs telling you to do what you are proposing, ie. go left (down stream) and turn in the slack water in front of Diglis lock (the river lock). If you were going the other way round do the same so you approach the canal lock going upstream.

Yes probably is, running aground is probably the bigger issue.

Levels just above a weir don't vary much, or at least don't drop below the weir level unless the flow has completely stopped. It is below a weir that can get very shallow in low flow.

Levels just above a weir don't vary much, or at least don't drop below the weir level unless the flow has completely stopped. It is below a weir that can get very shallow in low flow.

True, I did not particularly mean just there above Diglis. On the Nene at the moment there are a couple of places bellow locks were you can just squeeze past gravel spits, I assume all rivers are low at the moment.

Junior

Following you recent experience you will need to be on the look out for Rowing boats around Worcester there are a least four clubs, Worcester RC, Birmingham University, Kings and The Royal Grammar school

not to mention the canoe club and dragon boats

forgot the water skiers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HijGDyyPy3w

Edited by max's son

I'm assuming you'd be joining the Severn via the broad locks from Diglis Basin, and your boat is a narrowboat.

The Severn is really wide at Worcester so you should be able to wind reasonably easily without going downstream first.

If the flow is sufficient for you not to be able to wind here, it might be an indication that it's safer not to be on the river...

There is a pontoon for lock use immediately downstream of the lock, so another option is to exit the lock, stop on the pontoon to pick up your crew, and then swing the boat on a line.

Jon

The pontoon mooring on the river at Hawford is cut off from the land, as you say, but there's moorings on the canal just after you come off the river, if you prefer that. From memory, it's two locks up. There's also one or two little spots along the barge canal before Droitwich itself, despite what people say.

Edited by Dave_P

I'm assuming you'd be joining the Severn via the broad locks from Diglis Basin, and your boat is a narrowboat.

The Severn is really wide at Worcester so you should be able to wind reasonably easily without going downstream first.

If the flow is sufficient for you not to be able to wind here, it might be an indication that it's safer not to be on the river...

There is a pontoon for lock use immediately downstream of the lock, so another option is to exit the lock, stop on the pontoon to pick up your crew, and then swing the boat on a line.

The manoeuvre that ABC/Viking at Lowesmoor advise for going northward on the Severn from Worcester is to head out across the river toward the far bank, then go SOUTH of the pontoons and turn back northward to collect the crew.

Some will say that the turn should be made in the slack water above Diglis lock but on current flows that wouldn't be necessary but it is still the safe bet. It is also what the sign when heading downstream on the river says you should do to enter the canal. That's a fairly recent thing as the advise used to be to turn below the pontoons which is above the weir.

I know you know the river but Martin needs to follow the advice of the hire company (and let's hope they give some).

I suspect it will not be to attempt to turn sharp left on to the pontoons.

JP

The pontoon mooring on the river at Hawford is cut off from the land, as you say, but there's moorings on the canal just after you come off the river, if you prefer that. From memory, it's two locks up. There's also one or two little spots along the barge canal before Droitwich itself, despite what people say.

I don't think there is anywhere of interest to go from the moorings above the two locks either. Unless you want to count the cars on the New Jersey turnpike. Oops, sorry I meant the A449.

JP

The manoeuvre that ABC/Viking at Lowesmoor advise for going northward on the Severn from Worcester is to head out across the river toward the far bank, then go SOUTH of the pontoons and turn back northward to collect the crew.

Some will say that the turn should be made in the slack water above Diglis lock but on current flows that wouldn't be necessary but it is still the safe bet. It is also what the sign when heading downstream on the river says you should do to enter the canal. That's a fairly recent thing as the advise used to be to turn below the pontoons which is above the weir.

I know you know the river but Martin needs to follow the advice of the hire company (and let's hope they give some).

I suspect it will not be to attempt to turn sharp left on to the pontoons.

JP

I don't think there is anywhere of interest to go from the moorings above the two locks either. Unless you want to count the cars on the New Jersey turnpike. Oops, sorry I meant the A449.

JP

Possibly not but a leg stretch along the towpath can be nice.

Edited by Dave_P