First time hirers. Advice please?

junior

Featured Posts

I exited the W&B and turned north on the Severn this morning by doing the 270 deg left turn to come alongside the pontoon below the junction. With current flows it's straightforward and even when broadside across the river there was little or no downstream drift.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

The manoeuvre that ABC/Viking at Lowesmoor advise for going northward on the Severn from Worcester is to head out across the river toward the far bank, then go SOUTH of the pontoons and turn back northward to collect the crew.

Some will say that the turn should be made in the slack water above Diglis lock but on current flows that wouldn't be necessary but it is still the safe bet. It is also what the sign when heading downstream on the river says you should do to enter the canal. That's a fairly recent thing as the advise used to be to turn below the pontoons which is above the weir.

I know you know the river but Martin needs to follow the advice of the hire company (and let's hope they give some).

I suspect it will not be to attempt to turn sharp left on to the pontoons.

JP

I don't think there is anywhere of interest to go from the moorings above the two locks either. Unless you want to count the cars on the New Jersey turnpike. Oops, sorry I meant the A449.

JP

I didn'tt intend to suggest that you should try and turn sharp left at the lock exit. When coming alongside a pontoon on the river it is best to approach from downstream.

What I meant was, but probably didn't explain myself very well, is that it is possible to turn upstream from the lock entrance without going downriver.

You might not need to pick up crew. For example, the crew of a boat going up to Diglis might operate the gates for you, as has happened to me on at least one occasion.

If all crew are already on board, the river is plenty wide enough to make the turn to go upstream, which was the point that I was trying to make.

I didn'tt intend to suggest that you should try and turn sharp left at the lock exit. When coming alongside a pontoon on the river it is best to approach from downstream.

What I meant was, but probably didn't explain myself very well, is that it is possible to turn upstream from the lock entrance without going downriver.

You might not need to pick up crew. For example, the crew of a boat going up to Diglis might operate the gates for you, as has happened to me on at least one occasion.

If all crew are already on board, the river is plenty wide enough to make the turn to go upstream, which was the point that I was trying to make.

Aha! It also struck me that if you are going south wouldn't you do the immediate left turn?

I only felt qualified to post in response to you in the first place as I was half a mile nearer the sea than your boat at the time. I passed yours at it's home mooring last Wednesday evening.

JP

• 2 weeks later...

I think he has decided to step away from the forum which I think is a great shame. He's definitely been back at work for a few days.

JP

Yes I think he has become terminally disenfranchised with the forum as a result of the behaviour of those running it. I know exactly how he feels!

Nothing keeping you here Nick.

Not true, my computer has been hijacked and is permanently logged on to CWDF and I am as we speak sitting bound to a chair with the perpetrator forcing my fingers to move over the keyboard.

Or to put it another way, did I say that there was?

Not true, my computer has been hijacked and is permanently logged on to CWDF and I am as we speak sitting bound to a chair with the perpetrator forcing my fingers to move over the keyboard.

Or to put it another way, did I say that there was?

No, that's the beauty of the www ether*, freedom of choice.

* literary

The clear sky; the upper regions of air beyond the clouds:
synonyms: sky · ether · atmosphere · aerosphere ·
A term you should be very familiar with. smile.png
Edited by Ray T