The Boat Behind You.......

Woodstock25

Featured Posts

Sometimes this works here on the K&A, but it can be tricky as a single hander (like spadefoot) to be certain the bow will stay in the lock mouth and not get drawn back then onto the (substantial) bywash weir 10ft from each lock mouth.

I'm not familiar with the K&A. Most wide locks where we are have a bollard to tie the bow line off to.

Richard

MORE: What I'm suggesting is that you think about what you are doing at locks, not follow a formula. I'm also not advocating hurrying through locks, just finding efficient ways of doing the job. If you are single handing, you have enough to do without making more work for yourself. Cutting down the number of times you walk up and down a bit of towpath can make quite a difference

Edited by RLWP
  • Greenie 1

Maybe. Or perhaps you leave the boat with the bow in the lock entrance with a single line looped around a bollard? You don't need to moor up properly using several lines on the lock landing each time, which is what I have seen some boaters doing

Richard

That works on some locks, particularly ones without a bridge over the lock tail. Only ever use the centre line, with a couple of exceptions where I know that the lock "sucks" when being emptied for use. (something to do with the bywash & the emptying lock setting up a whirlpool effect)

Only ever use the centre line, with a couple of exceptions where I know that the lock "sucks" when being emptied for use. (something to do with the bywash & the emptying lock setting up a whirlpool effect)

I haven't covered all the system - I haven't found a lock that doesn't draw the boat onto the bottom gate when ascending yet

Richard

I'm not familiar with the K&A. Most wide locks where we are have a bollard to tie the bow line off to.

Richard

MORE: What I'm suggesting is that you think about what you are doing at locks, not follow a formula. I'm also not advocating hurrying through locks, just finding efficient ways of doing the job. If you are single handing, you have enough to do without making more work for yourself. Cutting down the number of times you walk up and down a bit of towpath can make quite a difference

No bollards for that on the K&A.

I use your method quite a lot but with care. At most lock landings one bollard aligns with my stern when I put the bow right in the lock mouth. I keep a short loop of line on the stern dolly I can drop over it and it works well, mostly. At some locks the landing bollard is still too far back for the bow to stay in the mouth though.

I have actually stuck around to learn from the comments attributed to my post. I have also PM’d Mike and offered my apologies to him.

I have also learnt to be significantly more cautious in the nature and tone of my posts. I do however, find some of the insinuations in the comments provided by some posters to be overly harsh and judgemental, and lack any form or real credibility or objectiveness; perhaps I should grow some thicker skin, but at the same time I find some of unadulterated comments provided appeared to be posted just to provoke a reaction, totally unnecessary.

Most importantly, I have refreshed myself in some of the unwritten etiquette that is clearly in abundance on here, that if very difficult to gain from osmosis while being just a leisure boater, particularly with respect to my actions around working boats and boats that wish to go faster than me.

For what it’s worth, I’m not an inexperienced boater – well I don’t think that over 25 years of boat ownership (this is my third boat) puts me personally in the novice category – although others may of course differ.

What was perhaps new on this trip, and I offer no excuse, was the fact that I had just picked up a new (to me) boat; at 63’, longer than both my previous boats, and had a mostly family based inexperienced crew with me to move it. Having said that, one of the crew is an experienced former BWB/CRT volunteer lock keeper. The boat was also fully laden with fuel, water and crew and the handling characteristics of the boat both new and different to me – and occasionally challenging through tight bends, on a route that I had only cruised very infrequently.

We also had to complete the 120+ mile/80 lock move in under 7 days, which with a relatively inexperienced crew was a challenge, so there was certainly no dawdling going on, having lost time the day before for a broken generator bracket. I was perhaps being a little cautious around bends, being not fully up to speed with the handling of the boat, and I’m sure it will not be the first or last time I (or anyone else for that matter) has got a bend wrong.

There are of course always 2 sides to every story, I gave mine and Mike gave his.

Perception is one thing of course, but hindsight is another.

Most importantly I will learn from this experience and from the original post.

Welcome back!...and have a greeno for this post.

I remember, some 15 years ago, taking our newly-built boat from the bottom of Caen Hill Flight to Springwood Haven near Nuneaton. For the first two days, it was like steering a 15-foot wide brick until we got the "feel" of the boat and her controls.

Or maybe start with something simpler, like, how to open the gates without getting off the boat. I'm always open to lernin new stuff.

Well, since you asked.

If the lock is empty, and you are going up...........give the gate a lovely, soft kiss.

ETA And if you are going down, only works in narrow locks mind, lassoo one gate with the stern rope as you pass. Pull it closed as you leave (engine out of gear, just in case) This stops the boat. Retrieve rope. Close t'other gate with shaft.

And, welcome back Woodstock 25.

hug.gif

We're not as bad as we seem, honest. Well, most of us!

smile.png

Edited by Victor Vectis

It's really very simple. You happen upon a coal boat by chance; you pull over, flag it down and buy some coal. Then let it go on it's way, take a couple of photos and reflect on the fact that it's one of best experiences you can have during a day's boating.

If in doubt about anything or anyone else on the canal just steer clear. It isn't a competition. Most experienced boaters want to work expediently; not rushing as such but to keep moving with purpose. Allow them to do so and you will be fine.

JP

Even better, follow said coal boat to the next lock, tie up and watch him work through the lock single handed.

Mind you, you will have to be quick or he will be through the lock and gone before you've tied up!

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1

I have not said all Merc and BMW drivers are plonkers though!

Surely you cannot deny that some are?

Strange that you only mentioned those 2 makes of car though isn't it ?Yes,there are plenty of plonkers about driving all manner of cars,not just Mercs & Beemas.

Strange that you only mentioned those 2 makes of car though isn't it ?Yes,there are plenty of plonkers about driving all manner of cars,not just Mercs & Beemas.

I would certainly put Audis in the same pot.

I think the owners actually believe those aggressive TV adverts where it pounces out of the mist at you!

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1

Quite right - there's Audis

Richard

Thanks for your take Mike. Earlier on I mentioned the balance of "arsiness". I will change it a bit, however by your own words you are condemned a bit. You need to remember that you are a "full time boater" and presumably, with your daily exposure, you have become reasonably good at it. However you should remember that these days the canals are primarily for leisure use and, more importantly, many people have less exposure and experience and are thus may not be as good at it as you are. That they are somewhat incompetent by your standards, is nevertheless no good reason to get arsey.

On the overtaking thing, there is no point in being up someone's arse when there is no immediate prospect of overtaking due to sharp bends etc. and yes, lots of folk aren't very good at steering a boat - but get over it!

As to the lock it does seem that you opened the top paddle fully with the bottom gates open and this can never be the right thing to do, even though we know that the paddle is fairly small on that lock. That is not the point, it is the impression generated that is the point.

In summary, you came across as a bit of an arse. So take that as a gift since it's not often that people really say what they think about you. Use the gift to improve your public's perception in the future.

I've been boating since the late 60s, am routinely gobsmacked by the incompetence of some, but know that if I let that show it only reflects badly on me. Not on them.

Take as you find. We came across Victoria, with Mike I presume (wearing a kilt if I remember!) at Great Haywood Lock last Wednesday. We were locking up on our share boat Inglewood and he was waiting for us to clear the lock. I can only say that he was extremely courteous and helpful, and a pleasure to meet up with. If only a lot of other boat owners were as pleasant!

Howard

I find this thread odd. I thought the canals were meant for pootling along at a leisurely pace. The OP did try to let the other boat over take and even slowed down to let the other boat go ahead.

The only person that was driving like a Essex Boy caught behind a learner driver seemed to be the other boat.

I'm with the OP and i will throw my socks at anyone who says i am wrong (you don't want to meet my socks)

I find this thread odd. I thought the canals were meant for pootling along at a leisurely pace. The OP did try to let the other boat over take and even slowed down to let the other boat go ahead.

The only person that was driving like a Essex Boy caught behind a learner driver seemed to be the other boat.

I'm with the OP and i will throw my socks at anyone who says i am wrong (you don't want to meet my socks)

Perhaps not though when you rely on them to make a living? The 'pootling' bit is for leisure boaters I think.

And it's usually me that gets told on here that I need to lighten up or to get a sense of humour transplant! rolleyes.gif

Yes there's Audi's too - I could go on further - I have a Volvo, and certainly may of those are driven by plonkers also.

However the kind of behaviour I described, (whether resulting just from failure to read the road ahead, or by pure selfish "me first" aggressiveness), can in my view probably be me core commonly attributed to drivers of the two marques I singled out, rather than any other, (having adjusted for the relative numbers of each make of car).

I imagine it is hard to find reliable statistics that prove (or disprove!) the point though.

Have you tried driving a full sized loaded or part loaded working narrow boat like an "Essex Boy" on that particular bit of the canal system? It simply isn't possible, because it is not exactly one of the deeper faster bits. This may of course partly explain why the OP was struggling on some of the turns with a boat quite a bit shorter, and almost certainly of much lesser draught.

And it's usually me that gets told on here that I need to lighten up or to get a sense of humour transplant! :rolleyes:

Yes there's Audi's too - I could go on further - I have a Volvo, and certainly may of those are driven by plonkers also.

However the kind of behaviour I described, (whether resulting just from failure to read the road ahead, or by pure selfish "me first" aggressiveness), can in my view probably be me core commonly attributed to drivers of the two marques I singled out, rather than any other, (having adjusted for the relative numbers of each make of car).

I imagine it is hard to find reliable statistics that prove (or disprove!) the point though.

Isn't that because they are struggling to get past all all the Volvo drivers normally wearing coats, caps and gloves

• Greenie 1

Isn't that because they are struggling to get past all all the Volvo drivers normally wearing coats, caps and gloves

Oi - I'm a Volvo driver:

Road legal too!

Also had it altered so when I signal left it turns left. tongue.png

Edited by Ray T

I can only say that he was extremely courteous and helpful, and a pleasure to meet up with. If only a lot of other boat owners were as pleasant!

Howard

I'm sure he was. Surely nobody except a robot is going to be and feel exactly the same all day every day. We all sometimes have a "bad day" due a combination of external events and our own feelings. I have certainly had my fair share of bad days when I've been pissed off with anyone who has failed to live up to my exact expectations in terms of boat handling. However the important thing is to recognise it, accept any criticism, and try not to to "leak" your feelings quite so much next time. Especially, I would suggest, if you are in a customer-facing business.

I find this thread odd. I thought the canals were meant for pootling along at a leisurely pace.

That rather depends upon what you define as a leisurely pace.

Each boat will have a range of speeds that are;

1. possible for that boat
  2. Comfortable for the steerer to work with

The problem comes if there is a boat that is running at a speed that its steerer is comfortable with, but where that speed is either a serious effort to maintain, or actually impossible to maintain for the following boat.

Slower doesn't necessarily equate to more leisurely.

Having steered many boats over the years including "working" boats and modern narrow boats, one of the things I have found is the tendancy of modern boaters to cut corners , this means that with a longer modern boat the front end tries to follow the channel resulting with the boat diving into the bend and running aground, it also puts you in the wrong place when exiting the bend. This means you spend half your time steering the "wrong" way going into bends and if you don't you can lose control. I think this is probably what happened in the bends described by the OP.

Knowing how shallow I find it amazing that Mike in his boat was able to catch up anybody who was pushing on a tight schedule. I know Mike covers lots of distance but that is usually by dent long hours, and I must say in all the times I have come accross him he has seemed a very happy easy going guy, most recently when he was going up the Rochdale nine single handed.

Saying that we all have our off days and there is no need for abusive behavour, and I bet we have all said things that we have regretted with hindsight.

The fact that the OP has come back and shown himself to be a reasonable person and able to reconcile himself with 'the boat behind' is very much to his credit, as evidenced by the number of greenies he got! It also enhances his credibility, so perhaps now we can hear about the incident to which the police were called?

Having struggled through all 7 pages of this thread I am left a little dazed.

The number of times I have read statements to the effect that boating isn't for hurrying and it is quite OK to go at your own pace, now it seems you need to hurry through locks and slow your own pace by pulling over for any boat that is a tad faster than you.

Which do I do in future boat at my own pace or hurry/slow myself down because of others.