Paddlewheel narrowboat - Unusual, but not unique

mykaskin

Featured Posts

Interested to read DaveC's comments.

I was a School in Bradford-on-Avon and as a project in about 1965/6 we built a couple of pontoons in the School's woodwork shop.

4 heafty side timbers were obtained and delivered and a team of us set to work to create the 2 pontoons, using stout timber brace pieces and probably marine ply boards.

These were eventually transported down to the Canal - probably at the wharf above Bradford Lock.

A tipping, long toothed rake was mounded between the 2 pontoons, but can't remember if a motor was ever fitted. An outboard might have been used.

I spent a couple of summer holidays assisting members of the K&A Trust attempting to clear weed-growth along the section of the canal towards Widbrook.

A 'flat' boat was hauled up between the pontoons and the rake dug into the weed and then tipped backwards into the 'flat' which took it away.

Be very interested to hear if anyone else has any memories of this work along with the rake - which was generally known as the Moon-Raker.

Rob

When I were a lad I used to cycle to Teddington Locks and the lock keeper would let me wheel to 'help him'. The oddest 'boat' I saw going through was a raft with an old Commer van sitting on it with the back axle on chocks. A wide belt from the nearside rear wheel drove a paddle on the back. To set off the owner jumped into the van, put it in 2nd and let the clutch out.

I assume he must have locked the offside rear wheel somehow.

Tony

I also assume he had a rudder somewhere but I don't remember that bit.

Hi Folks,

Thought some might be interested in this old video I recently put up on youtube of a Paddlewheel narrowboat leaving Denham Deep Lock. It's normally moored just above Uxbridge Lock - first time I've seen this one moving, but of course seen Jethro Tull many a time splashing along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnrJtp0WzLo

Cheers,

Mike

It's a sternwheeler rather than a paddlewheeler.

Paddlesteamers have two paddles, one on each side of the boat, while sternwheelers have a single paddle at the stern.

In reply to Cleyley Bob (can't get Quote to work) I have recollections of "Moonraker" the weed clearing boat. I think it was an electric boat - with a gert big generator on board. Although I don't remember seeing it in the flesh so to speak it was certainly mentioned more than once in the Butty magazine (K & A Trust mag).

Should be some photos in the K & A Trust archives.

Dave

This topic is bringing up some unusual and interesting stories and reminiscences. Thanks to those who have contributed, it's an enjoyable read.

Someone, somewhere has photos of these extraordinary craft!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Folks,

Thought some might be interested in this old video I recently put up on youtube of a Paddlewheel narrowboat leaving Denham Deep Lock. It's normally moored just above Uxbridge Lock - first time I've seen this one moving, but of course seen Jethro Tull many a time splashing along.

Cheers,

Mike

I once got a right "Rollacking for describing a boat similar as a paddle wheeler "That sir is a stern wheeler If it was a paddle wheeler the wheels would be on the sides as they are on the "Waverley"

I once got a right "Rollacking for describing a boat similar as a paddle wheeler "That sir is a stern wheeler If it was a paddle wheeler the wheels would be on the sides as they are on the "Waverley"

That's rather pedantic. Both are paddle wheelers, that one is a stern wheel paddle boat and Waverley is a side wheel paddle boat

Richard

This is a proper stern wheeler, as built in Germany for the River Oder, and seen here in the 1950s after the navigation had become part of Poland.

gallery_6938_2_66058.jpg

Hallelujah! Has it survived?

And then of course there is Orbis which has a single large paddle at the back which flaps from side to side like the tail fin of a fish. It was built last year to go from Dewsbury to Calais, but only got as far as Sowerby Bridge, where it still sits. Fish swim quite well that way don't they? rolleyes.gif

post-4862-0-09703600-1465296530_thumb.jpg

That's rather pedantic. Both are paddle wheelers, that one is a stern wheel paddle boat and Waverley is a side wheel paddle boat

Richard

I realized that but as the "gentleman" concerned was both bigger than me & VERY Irate I didn' t argue clapping.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

Interesting read, there used to be a steam powered stern wheeler called Phoenix moored for years at Alvechurch in the 1980s . Can’t find any images so I fear it’s gone from the canals . Perhaps it’s in storage somewhere. 

I do have a picture in the steam boat book I have but that’s somewhere too 

Looks more like a paddle wheel with a boat  attached........or one of the water cleaning devices that sieves the flotsam and deposits it in the barge.............although the builder has had the good sense to incorporate a built in lifting ring...........which all small boats should have.