Paddlewheel narrowboat - Unusual, but not unique

mykaskin

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Watching the throwing of the rope to the man on the pontoon, followed by the other end being wrapped round the twin bollards on the ferry, and then hearing the bang-bang-bang sound as the rope was put under tension and had water squeezed out of it by the pull of the current, used to be one of the highlights of a crossing when I was a lad. I had got a portable tape recorder just before the old boats went, and made a recording of the sounds heard during the crossing.

As you will know, the ferries were side loading.  Therefore, in order for the boat gate and pontoon ramps to align, the ferry had to be alongside at a precise point.

The crew member with the rope had to stop the ferry just so by slipping and then biting the turns around the cleat.  No doubt there was a skill in it.

• Greenie 1

On 13/10/2022 at 11:13, Tony Brooks said:

I seem to recall a stern wheel narrowboat on the K&A pre-reopening. I understand a paddle wheel was chosen because of lack of depth and excess weed that tended to clog props. I think it had a sturdy steel frame behind the wheel to help prevent such damage as referred to above.

The very boat that was the start of the thread, first post, a video.

• 3 weeks later...

1681031987_paddlepowerLM12061974.jpg.cd3a91706ebc809a4a4e7bf90d604101.jpg

When looking for something else I came across this article from the Leicester Mercury for 12th June 1974.  The Savenake was built by Fernie Steel of Market Harborough and fitted out by Foxton Boat Services.  I wonder when the protective cowl was removed.

Edited by koukouvagia