Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Some lucky person is going to make me very, very jealous:

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=454257

It is however a shame the lettering has not been done historically correctly, having being done how COLLINGWOOD was lettered - easy to rectify though.

EFFINGHAM is possibly the only boat that could tempt be back to narrow boat ownership, but it will not be on this occasion captain.gif

So who is the lucky new owner ?

I was at the early stages of preparing an offer on EFFINGHAM but the seller told me on 13 January that another offer had just been accepted, and now the Apollo Duck advert has been removed captain.gif

So who is the lucky new owner ?

I was at the early stages of preparing an offer on EFFINGHAM but the seller told me on 13 January that another offer had just been accepted, and now the Apollo Duck advert has been removed captain.gif

Well I'm not going to name him, but what i will say is that it has gone to a very enthusiastic young man who has been wanting to sell his modern boat and buy an 'old boat' for quite a while. It's great to see another youngster enter the historic boat owning gang and bring some more youth and enthusiasm to the waterways.

Well I'm not going to name him, but what i will say is that it has gone to a very enthusiastic young man who has been wanting to sell his modern boat and buy an 'old boat' for quite a while. It's great to see another youngster enter the historic boat owning gang and bring some more youth and enthusiasm to the waterways.

I think I may know, putting 2 and 2 together. It's a shame to see Effingham leave Langley Mill after all the work Pete has put into her over the years. I'm glad she has gone to a good home though.

Dan

It's on Facebook so I don't think it's a secret.

In case it hasn't been mentioned before now, 'Hare', a Gardner 3LW surrounded by 70 or so feet of Josher conversion (with some previous hacking about) is for sale on t'Duck, by a forum member I think. The fit-out looks handsome, stylish and, I'm pleased to say, not too modern.

In case it hasn't been mentioned before now, 'Hare', a Gardner 3LW surrounded by 70 or so feet of Josher conversion (with some previous hacking about) is for sale on t'Duck, by a forum member I think. The fit-out looks handsome, stylish and, I'm pleased to say, not too modern.

Well I don't know much about the history of Hare, but if it was the hire boat "Water Bulrush", then the record shows that as only a 37 foot long 4 berth boat, (with a centre cockpit!).

It would therefore seem reasonable to assume that as much as half the current "Hare" is actually new boat, rather than Josher, (could be more than that, if the original stern was not retained).

Does anybody know the detail please?

Quite amusing to see what apparently looks like a genuine "Elsan Bristol" "bucket and chuck it"as the toilet facility- albeit with a posh wooden seat - perhaps not one might expect given the relative fit out of the rest of the boat.

Edited by alan_fincher

Was "Water Bullrush" the rear half?

No the front of Hare is clearly the front of Water Bulrush. Some of these boats acquired fairly formless back ends, whereas others I think retained the original motor's back end, and simply had the middle cut out.

I think Water Bulrush may have used both ends of Hare, but if it did, and really was only 37 feet long, that would have been an awful lot of front and rear swim, with not very much straight side in between.

Some conversions like that used to roll very considerably, because of the lack of much "middle".

Even if it is both ends of Hare some 33 feet of boat must have been lost in the conversion, so it must surely contain roughly that kind of length as new boat?

Happy to be corrected though!

Edited by alan_fincher

I think Water Bullrush may have used both ends of Hare, but if it did, and really was only 37 feet long, that would have been an awful lot of front and rear swim, with not very much straight side in between.

Happy to be corrected though!

WATER BULRUSH and WATER ARABIS were the only conversions to retain both fore end and stern end, meaning that they were both shortened by the removal of the centre section captain.gif

WATER BULRUSH and WATER ARABIS were the only conversions to retain both fore end and stern end, meaning that they were both shortened by the removal of the centre section captain.gif

Thanks for clarifying, Pete.

At 37 feet, it may have been "interesting".

The majority of such pleasure boat conversions were surely butties, since you got two for the price of one, and by the time these boats were being converted there must have been little demand for full length butties for carrying or maintnenace duties.

The majority of such pleasure boat conversions were surely butties, since you got two for the price of one, and by the time these boats were being converted there must have been little demand for full length butties for carrying or maintnenace duties.

No other motor stern ends were used within the 'British Waterways' hire boat conversions, but the fore ends of the following motors were used:-

ANTLIA as WATER VIXEN

ANTONY as WATER LILAC

ENCELADUS as WATER VALIANT

GORSE as WATER LUPIN

KELSO as WATER VOLE

KESTREL as WATER LILY

JACKAL - ?

I have not found any evidence of JACKAL becoming a 'British Waterways' hire cruiser, but clearly this boat was cut in two with the stern becoming a push tug. The late Ike Argent claimed that the fore end of JACKAL became WATER GENTIAN, but I dispute this captain.gif

edit = the other fourteen conversions were created out of full length L.M.S.R. / F.M.C. Ltd. / G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. horse boats and buttys - and a lifeboat.

Edited by pete harrison

Although it looks like a lovely boat, I'm always amazed by the amount of boats on Apollo Duck that are for sale in the upper reaches of most folks budget, that basically just have a bucket for shitting in, like Hare seems to.

Can you imagine having £70k in your back pocket yet taking a shit in a bucket?

ETA: Alan Fincher seems to have already noted the same thing, albeit more eloquently.

Edited by junior

Although it looks like a lovely boat, I'm always amazed by the amount of boats on Apollo Duck that are for sale in the upper reaches of most folks budget, that basically just have a bucket for shitting in, like Hare seems to.

Can you imagine having £70k in your back pocket yet taking a shit in a bucket?

smiley_offtopic.gif

You are clearly taking to your new career very well - swearing like a bargee captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison