Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Why is an admiral class particularly desirable? I've never found them particularly attractive, aesthetically.

Coarse design of bow, and welded construction IIRC, or am I confusing them with river class?

My understanding is that they do not handle at all badly, and swim quite well, and are fast.

Unlike the River class, where none started life as a conventional motor, a boat like this represents the very last attempts to update the genre, other than a few "one offs" built subsequently.

A considerable advantage might also be the 6' 10" design width, making them far more likely to be able to go to somewhere like Llangollen without sticking in a lock than the Grand Union boars, designed to be a full 2.5" wider.

Admittedly I think most will think a Grand Union or a Josher looks "prettier", but the Admirals certainly have a dedicated fan club.

a boat like this represents the very last attempts to update the genre, other than a few "one offs" built subsequently.

So, as the boaty equivalent of the B.R. standard 9F class, they are of historical interest. I guess that whichever one was built last is the 'Evening Star' of the cut.

Some lucky person is going to make me very, very jealous:

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=454257

It is however a shame the lettering has not been done historically correctly, having being done how COLLINGWOOD was lettered - easy to rectify though.

EFFINGHAM is possibly the only boat that could tempt be back to narrow boat ownership, but it will not be on this occasion captain.gif

Yes, it is a lovely boat and the restoration is 1st class.

ETA Has it ever been converted (I assume not since it was in BW ownership until relatively recently)?

Edited by Speedwheel

Collingwood, in spite of the 'incorrect' lettering

It is EFFINGHAM that is lettered historically incorrectly, COLLINGWOOD being lettered with the details of its owner since the mid 1960's.

The lettering on EFFINGHAM is correct but placed incorrectly on the cabinside, with the lifebouy roundel at the wrong end of the 'British Waterways' lettering. I am also reasonably sure that EFFINGHAM did not have a yellow dividing line between the cabin and engine room as was very common with the 'British Waterways' livery of this period. This is an observation and not a critisism, and I am sure most potential purchasers would not care anyway - including me captain.gif

edit - clearly what is important is structural condition / usability verses asking price, and EFFINGHAM looks to have had plenty of structural work completed since being acquired by its current owner. I just hope it does not get converted.

Edited by pete harrison

Has it ever been converted (I assume not since it was in BW ownership until relatively recently)?

EFFINGHAM was advertised for sale by British Waterways Board in March 2006, but was subsequently withdrawn along with most other 'historic' boats. At the time of the auction EFFINGHAM was sunk at Bridge 106 on the Montgomery Canal, although it was temporarily refloated for a few photographs. EFFINGHAM was then leased to a group in Birmingham in 2008 and put onto dry land, but was returned to British Waterways Board pretty much untouched two years later. It was then sold via an internet auction to its current owner who has added a short cabin directly in front of the engine room captain.gif

EFFINGHAM was advertised for sale by British Waterways Board in March 2006, but was subsequently withdrawn along with most other 'historic' boats. At the time of the auction EFFINGHAM was sunk at Bridge 106 on the Montgomery Canal, although it was temporarily refloated for a few photographs. EFFINGHAM was then leased to a group in Birmingham in 2008 and put onto dry land, but was returned to British Waterways Board pretty much untouched two years later. It was then sold via an internet auction to its current owner who has added a short cabin directly in front of the engine room captain.gif

Thanks Pete. Didn't know it had a cabin extension :)

Edited by Speedwheel

• 4 weeks later...

What a singularly uninformative advert!

What do you mean? It informs us that the boat has only one engine. You're such a stickler for detail sometimes

Is this not one of the many craft which were subjected to Fincher scrutiny during your boat-hunting period?

I am thinking SEAFORD captain.gif

Well the back cabin colour scheme matches the last time I saw Seaford, but if so, it has been converted in (maybe) the last 4 yeras or so, (which might explain why it sounds unfinished inside?).

However, if it is Seaford, (and I can't think of any other candidate right now), it is surely dramatically cheaper than when (possibly fairly hopeful) attempts were made to advertise it a few years back as an unconverted boat.

[You already have two Grand Union "Northwiches, Alan, You already have two Grand Union "Northwiches, Alan,You already have two Grand Union "Northwiches, Alan,You already have two Grand Union "Northwiches, Alan,You already have two Grand Union "Northwiches, Alan,You already have two Grand Union "Northwiches, Alan,You already have two Grand Union "Northwiches, Alan,.................................]

Yep its the Seaford restored and converted by Ian Kemp a couple of years back. Shame as it had remained unconverted for 75 years.

Paul

I have memories of it being advertised before that, I though somewhere in the £70K - £80K range, but perhaps I'm imagining that. (On reflection it does sound unlikely!)

SEAFORD was advertised for sale as an unconverted motor (that had recently been re-bottomed and re-footed) in October 2012 at £62000, and it was re-advertised in February 2013 but without a price.

SEAFORD is now advertised converted and part fitted at £45000, and to my mind this now makes EFFINGHAM at £32000 look expensive captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

Is this not one of the many craft which were subjected to Fincher scrutiny during your boat-hunting period?

No.

In actual fact in a year and a half we only succeeded in looking at about 4 possible candidate boats in a year and a half, (and one wild card, only because we happened to be where it was).

Half way reasonable full length ex working boats with a conversion on only come on the open market very rarely, (although others change hands without ever being openly marketed).

I think one major reason for a dearth of converted ones is that so many that were converted have now had the conversion stripped off. As Paul says, it is a shame this one never before converted now has been - but I guess what drives people to do that is the extreme difficulty in finding a suitable boat already carrying a conversion. (Personally I wouldn't, but it is an individual choice, of course).