Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Pure nosiness, (I'm not looking to buy more!), but I think all of the following have now ceased to appear as for sale.....

Beaulieu - Don't know

Ling - Yes

Sudbury - Yes

Does anybody know if any of these have found new owners please.....

Thank you!

None of which are me smile.png We're in the process of getting rid of boats not buying more - though Sudbury was very tempting wink.png

Indeed, and I could have had both a 40 foot tug and a Willow Wren boat as a more practical (and cheaper!) single boat package than owning one of each separately.

If I actually needed another Sudbury would have been high up my list.

Ling is indeed at Glascote, I have to scumble the cabin out next week and decorate back doors and weatherboard. Other stuff I've done in my workshop at home. I lettered it at Paul Barber's in Long Eaton for the previous owner.

Cheers

Dave

I viewed Sudbury as part of my search. Lovely boat and very hospitable owner. Lots of tea from the stove and chocolate hob-nobs while chatting in the cabin.

Ultimately was good for me but not so good for the family even though the extended cabin was put on Sudbury due to similar requirements. I think the cabin is narrower than the original(s) as it has wide gunwales and viewed from the rear it lacks the tumblehome that is such a nice characteristic of Sickle and others. Nonetheless it's very nice in its own right.

Ironically in the end I bought a shorter boat - but with a cabin that's the equivalent of the Tardis - which is just old rather than historic.

JP

I viewed Sudbury as part of my search. Lovely boat and very hospitable owner. Lots of tea from the stove and chocolate hob-nobs while chatting in the cabin.

Ultimately was good for me but not so good for the family even though the extended cabin was put on Sudbury due to similar requirements. I think the cabin is narrower than the original(s) as it has wide gunwales and viewed from the rear it lacks the tumblehome that is such a nice characteristic of Sickle and others. Nonetheless it's very nice in its own right.

Interesting comment about the cabin shape of Sudbury.

I believe others have criticised it, though I'm told it is a fairly good match to the one carried by Sudbury in Willow Wren CTS days - that does appear in photos to be less "shaped".

I hadn't picked anything about gunwale width though. Presumably if those around the back cabin seem wider than normal, those around the engine room may also be?

I believe that is the case Alan. With the extended cabin and light walls it certainly didn't feel small though.

Can't see why anyone would want to criticise it considering a vast amount of time and money has been spent restoring and maintaining it to something in keeping with it's working past. I would have thought thanks would have been more appropriate as it adds to the canal scene for all to enjoy and will be a great buy for whoever has bought it.

Presumably it's not a boat that could truly be restored to its working condition in any case; unless someone just happens to have the missing 30' lying around.

Some lucky person is going to make me very, very jealous:

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=454257

It is however a shame the lettering has not been done historically correctly, having being done how COLLINGWOOD was lettered - easy to rectify though.

EFFINGHAM is possibly the only boat that could tempt be back to narrow boat ownership, but it will not be on this occasion captain.gif

Some lucky person is going to make me very, very jealous:

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=454257

It is however a shame the lettering has not been done historically correctly, having being done how COLLINGWOOD was lettered - easy to rectify though.

EFFINGHAM is possibly the only boat that could tempt be back to narrow boat ownership, but it will not be on this occasion captain.gif

Its been said before that this motor should be paired with butty BLINDINGHAM.

Why is an admiral class particularly desirable? I've never found them particularly attractive, aesthetically.

Admiral Class boats swim surprisingly well and handled properly they are quick. Effingham is desirable because it has been restored to a very high standard and the steelwork in general is as new.For thje price it is an exceptional buy, and no, I'm not the seller. Collingwood, in spite of the 'incorrect' lettering has probably done more revenue earning miles in the last twenty or so years than any other boat. Regards, HughC.

Collingwood, in spite of the 'incorrect' lettering has probably done more revenue earning miles in the last twenty or so years than any other boat.

I bet there are some hire boats that would give it a very good run for the money

Richard

I bet there are some hire boats that would give it a very good run for the money

Richard

I guess it could be argued that a hire boat is what Collingwood has been for quite a lot of years. I assumed that was what Hugh was referring to?