Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

The Denebola is the last full length unconverted Little Woolwich motor to remain composite which is why it is staying that way!

Great stuff, we looked at Denebola and it was wonderful but too much work for us.

I'm sure Denebola moved on from the Wakehams fleet when i was still boating in London. I think it went to Brinklow or somewhere like that.

He now does his coal road with the butty and a push tug as far as i know.

Yes, of course you're right- I must've been remembering the year before. I think the boat used with the Bantam is Taurus, but I'm not 100%

Sort off smiley_offtopic.gif

I made a model of Denebola when I was 15 so was very pleased to see it at Braunston in 2014 and have been following what progress there has been on Brinklow's Facebook page.

At that age I was really into small Woolwichs (somewhat down to knowing Tony Jones who used to own Comet) but now large Northwichs seem to have my attention more :)

IMG_0693_zpsfc2qrilc.jpg

What size is that propellor?

I'm guessing 24-26"?

Looks about that to me, 40ft boat with a HA3 swinging that... you should go in for some tug of wars smile.png

Apologies for smiley_offtopic.gif in this thread. Perhaps we need a new one?

Having just seen the boat in dock for the first time since I have owned it, (it has been docked twice previously but we were not present), I now finally know that the prop is marked 26 x 19.4. That said, although this picture shows it less than some, some of the blades have lost a bit of diameter (!) However Simon at Brinklow tells me it is an exceedingly substantial blade, (in terms of weight and thickness) and far more durable than just about anything you could now buy new.

Although, as Liam says, it has a 33BHP HA3, "Sickle" only has a 2:1 reduction on the gearbox.

I have no idea what would be a recommended blade, but I suspect the blade already existed on the boat, and this engine happened to only have a 2:1 box. I think proper calculations would indicate that 26 x 19.4 is seriously over-propped, but I genuinely don't know.

Does anybody have access to a suggested prop size for an HA3 with a 2:1 reduction? I would be very interested to know.

This year at "Ricky" "Sickle" won a tug of war against Stewarts & Lloyds "Pacific" before losing to Mike Askin's "Victoria". However I'm convinced that is because the person skippering Victoria (not Mike) was a far more experienced cheat than I was!

Edited by alan_fincher

If she doesn't 'black smoke' when under fistfuls of throttle, then she won't be over-propped. If she slips through the water well on tickover, she won't be under-propped. There are calculations available for prop size dependent on length x breadth x draught including HP, rpm and reduction, but there's also a 'fiddle factor' related to 'slip' - and different folk have their own interpretations of the latter. Got some data written down somewhere in a dog-eared notebook, but don't ask me where it is!

This year at "Ricky" "Sickle" won a tug of war against Stewarts & Lloyds "Pacific" before losing to Mike Askin's "Victoria". However I'm convinced that is because the person skippering Victoria (not Mike) was a far more experienced cheat than I was!

Needs more boot on the fuel rack! ;)

If I remember correctly, it wasn't quite a straight pull against Victoria, so not an exact comparison.

If she doesn't 'black smoke' when under fistfuls of throttle, then she won't be over-propped. If she slips through the water well on tickover, she won't be under-propped.

ISTR Alan commenting on more than one occasion that the SICKLE on tickover goes along so fast he needs to keep knocking it out of gear to avoid upsetting boats he is passing. A different aspect to over-propping from the 'black-smoking' commonly cited as evidence...

Looking at the last photo there appears to be quite a lot of Josher stern, and only a short joey bow.

Yes, to my untrained eye not a lot of it is BCN boat. BCN boats tend to have overlapped plates, whereas long distance carrying narrow boats such as Joshers have plates that join together edge to edge, with butt-strap plates riveted behind to form the join.

No idea whether it is mostly Josher, but a Josher that had retained a motor back end, but lost its front end would seem quite unusual. (Perhaps somebody had bought a Hudson, and then needed a proper bow from somewhere to improve its appearance! :lol:)

I bet Pete Harrison knows - his departure from the forum is a sad loss to those of us who would like to know about boats like this one.

Yes, to my untrained eye not a lot of it is BCN boat. BCN boats tend to have overlapped plates, whereas long distance carrying narrow boats such as Joshers have plates that join together edge to edge, with butt-strap plates riveted behind to form the join.

No idea whether it is mostly Josher, but a Josher that had retained a motor back end, but lost its front end would seem quite unusual. (Perhaps somebody had bought a Hudson, and then needed a proper bow from somewhere to improve its appearance! laugh.png)

I bet Pete Harrison knows - his departure from the forum is a sad loss to those of us who would like to know about boats like this one.

Not only is it a BCN bow but the swim at the stern has a "fabricated" look about it.

Having said that, the price may well reflect that.

George ex nb Alton retired

Which bit is FMC then?

Richard

Hard to tell, with those pictures and my current vision problems.

Underneath the patching by welded overplating, I can see that the counter maybe.

The hull also seems overplated, or refooted for at least the rear 2/3ds of the "straight bit", and may be Josher underneath.

The rear swim looks reconstructed or new, but again I wouldn't rule out that being on top of Josher underneath.

Somebody with better eyesight and knowledge than me will probably now rubbish most of those suggestions!

To me at has something of Chris Deuchar's "Kestrel" which is a similar mix to what is claimed here, I think....

HNBC Linky - Kestrel

The upper half of the stern and maybe a small amount of the run in is without question original FMC lines. The lower portion of the hull looks modern. The sides again retain a FMC guard as far as the BCN hacked about bow. Whether the bow is a bow or a stern is hard to ascertain but it does to my eyes look like a hacked about Harris or Hickman boat.

Some years ago there was a short boat on the Braunston puddle banks which was a composite of a t least two if not three boats put together, maybe this is the same boat.

Working out which "Josher" the stern bit came from is to my eyes a none starter as nothing remains to identify the source.

I can't get the link to work mike, pity as I'd really like to see it.

If I go to the bfi site what am I searching for.

Regards kris

Kris,

Try this:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:xFOVYhPdUC4J:player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-calderhebble-canal-freezing-and-flooding-1947/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Amazing bit of footage!!