Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Hard to tell, with those pictures and my current vision problems.

Underneath the patching by welded overplating, I can see that the counter maybe.

The hull also seems overplated, or refooted for at least the rear 2/3ds of the "straight bit", and may be Josher underneath.

The rear swim looks reconstructed or new, but again I wouldn't rule out that being on top of Josher underneath.

Somebody with better eyesight and knowledge than me will probably now rubbish most of those suggestions!

To me at has something of Chris Deuchar's "Kestrel" which is a similar mix to what is claimed here, I think....

HNBC Linky - Kestrel

quite abit of over plating

Hard to tell, with those pictures and my current vision problems.

Underneath the patching by welded overplating, I can see that the counter maybe.

The hull also seems overplated, or refooted for at least the rear 2/3ds of the "straight bit", and may be Josher underneath.

The rear swim looks reconstructed or new, but again I wouldn't rule out that being on top of Josher underneath.

Somebody with better eyesight and knowledge than me will probably now rubbish most of those suggestions!

To me at has something of Chris Deuchar's "Kestrel" which is a similar mix to what is claimed here, I think....

HNBC Linky - Kestrel

In my opinion the bit that's been cut out where the prop shat comes out was done to raise the shaft, maybe for a bigger propeller but has been carried out in an un-sympathetic way. If so it would be one of the later Northwich sterns if they remain bulkhead brackets would give an idea if it was a 9 or 15 fitted but the water inlet has gone at least from the outside. However if overplated it may be possible to see it from inside as Ling has 2 one blanked for pup and a second for the big engine. Though as said before it does not suggest which boat it is and as there were a few cut in half.

I think it has featured in these pages before. So he still hasn't sold it - at that optimistic price I'm not surprised.

The optimistic price will be far more to do with a transferable full length mooring right in the heart of london, than the boat actually being sold with it.

The optimistic price will be far more to do with a transferable full length mooring right in the heart of london, than the boat actually being sold with it.

Yes, I appreciate that, but at that stratospheric price most potential buyers will be saying "Bugger Bognor".

Ice Wharf Marina i belive is actually CRT run pontoon moorings in Battlebridge Basin between the canal and the canal museum. I'm also pretty sure that they are some of the only CRT moorings (along with Blombfield Road, Cumberland Basin and a few others) where the mooring can be 'sold on'.

What is interesting about Ice Wharf though is that about a year ago i think i saw a vacancy come up for there on the CRT mooring auctions page with a guide price of about £8k. I've no idea how one came up on there, maybe a death or something. Would have made a good investment for somebody to stick a £10k Springer on it and sell it on for £100k.

. Would have made a good investment for somebody to stick a £10k Springer on it and sell it on for £100k.

That is basically what these people down the canal from me in Oxford appear to be doing...: http://commercial.apolloduck.cn/advert.phtml?id=426481

With some of the boats I am tempted to try and find out what they would regard as a 'sensible' offer (or I would be, had I not put in an offer on another boat already!).

I'm intrigued by the Perkins 4107 TURBO I wonder who fitted that, If it has one as I'm pretty sure it was never a OEM option + Direct Drive Box wonder what size prop it's wizzing around

I get the impression that this is not a boat where the engine ever gets exercised much!

• 2 weeks later...

Boated through Loughborough for the first time for a few months at the weekend. Mecca is back on its home mooring at Bishops Meadow. It has a for sale sign on it and Boat Finders phone number.http://www.boatfinderbrokerage.co.uk/boat/120004/

It looks a lovely boat for someone - the price has dropped but I can't remember what it was originally for sale at.

Boated through Loughborough for the first time for a few months at the weekend. Mecca is back on its home mooring at Bishops Meadow. It has a for sale sign on it and Boat Finders phone number.http://www.boatfinderbrokerage.co.uk/boat/120004/

It looks a lovely boat for someone - the price has dropped but I can't remember what it was originally for sale at.

I would say it was originally about a fiver shy of £80K, but for some time it has been close the number quoted in that advert.

Undoubtedly a nice boat, but I suggest how long it has been on the market shows how unrealistic the original pricing was. Even at the current price the "Duck" advert says "sensible offers considered".

A dramatic looking boat, though with a bit too much tug deck for my personal taste. I have never heard the sleeping cabin under the foredeck called a "cuddy cabin" before.

cud•dy1(ˈkʌd i)

n., pl. -dies.

a. a small room or enclosed space on a boat.
b. a galley or pantry in a small boat.
2. a small room, cupboard, or closet.
[1650–60; of uncertain orig.]
cud•dy2(ˈkʌd i, ˈkʊd i)

n., pl. -dies. Scot.

1. donkey.
2. fool1.
[1705–15; perhaps generic use of Cuddy, short for Cuthbert, name]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.

I'm intrigued by the Perkins 4107 TURBO I wonder who fitted that, If it has one as I'm pretty sure it was never a OEM option + Direct Drive Box wonder what size prop it's wizzing around

Have seen the Engine installation on Bognor

It is a Perkins 4.236 with a sophisticated Hydraulic drive with variable Swashplate for reduction ratio.

Does have a Turbo and the Generator is powered by the main hydraulic pump.

CT

cud•dy1(ˈkʌd i)

n., pl. -dies.

a. a small room or enclosed space on a boat.
b. a galley or pantry in a small boat.
2. a small room, cupboard, or closet.
[1650–60; of uncertain orig.]
cud•dy2(ˈkʌd i, ˈkʊd i)

n., pl. -dies. Scot.

1. donkey.
2. fool1.
[1705–15; perhaps generic use of Cuddy, short for Cuthbert, name]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.

Very informative, thanks - but has anyone else actually heard this expression, or used it themselves? It's rather charming, with its undertone of cuddliness, but I don't think it's in general usage.