The new forum software.

Featured Posts

I am gradually muddling my way around this new format, although I find the layout is messy and less well organized tha the old one. Is it possible to put everything at the top of the page? I have managed to find most of the old features, some of which require scrolling up and down the page, but one thing I cannot find is my mesages page, can anyone give me the instructions please?

Edited to add: Forget that request, i have just found it.

So what is the fastest way to looking at PM's ?

The thing that used to be called "My Controls" or similar has disappeared, yes ? Or is there something the same.

On an "I couldn't give a toss" basis, though, have we lost that facility where people got star ratings, or is it just some unset setting that has made them go away for me ?

The quoting thing is a total PITA, but gather it will get fixed eventually.

It's frustrating until you locate where everything has gone and get used to functions having different names. I hope the "Top" button can be reinstated at the foot of each post next to the "Report" button, where it used to be. It seems to be running a bit slower too and I'm having a few problems in the fast reply window, it keeps hanging when first opened.

Not sure if it has already been metioned but the new softwsre does mean that iphone users can now use the IPB board app to read this forum, I have it installed and it makes reading the forum on a mobile much easier than before. Details of the app at:

http://www.invisionpower.com/suite/iphone

Tim

I can't work out how to look at someone's entire posting history (invaluable when debunking arguments).

It only seems to go back 1 year, or 1000 posts, which is pretty useless, imo.

No it isn't !

May I add, I don't like this new format.

I have just found that the 'read first unread post' no workie.

It takes you to the OP.

I liked this forum as it was different and easy to use. Now... well what can I say. It ain't different anymore.

Martyn

I think it's a valid point, though, that we've lost our banner, which did give us a unique ID. If we'd always had this skin, I can't see there having been so much demand for window stickers etc.

I've no idea how you resolve that though, but if you can, I'd like to see CWDF or Canal World Discussion Forum more prominently and some unique ID, even if it's not the old banner.

Yes, it is planned to add an amount of CWDF branding to the header of each page.

I have managed to find most of the old features, some of which require scrolling up and down the page, but one thing I cannot find is my mesages page, can anyone give me the instructions please?

Edited to add: Forget that request, i have just found it.

Incase anyone else is struggling with the above, its located in the top right corner, to the right of your screen name.

Not sure if it has already been metioned but the new softwsre does mean that iphone users can now use the IPB board app to read this forum, I have it installed and it makes reading the forum on a mobile much easier than before. Details of the app at:

http://www.invisionpower.com/suite/iphone

This is true, increased access from mobile devices was one of the improvements that has come as a by-product of the software upgrade. As well as the iPhone app there should also be a low-fi but still fully functional 'mobile' skin available, if it isn't already.

He he! You can go to the members tag and rank the results by post count. Alan Fincher, then Dhutch, then Phylis!

I'm way down the list

Richard

.... *cough* .... "way down" as in 10th out of 8972 ???

(the old board ranked members by posts too)

... it's still all very blue to me

I view the new posts since I previously logged off each time that I connect. Sometimes I don't get through all the posts before having to leave the PC, which I temporarily put into hibernation. With the old format the previous display (and topic list) would still be there when the PC was woken up again suggesting that I wasn't disconnected whilst the laptop was inactive. The new software appears to log you off if you're inactive and this resets the "new posts" so that you can only see what's changed whilst the PC was in hibernation mode.

I presume that something similar can happen when you're using a mobile connection which is a bit iffy - as it is when we're at the boatyard, where We frequently have to keep re-connecting.

Is this something we have to live with or can it be changed? Alternatively, how can I view the posts that have now "disappeared"?

Guest wanted

So what is the fastest way to looking at PM's ?

The thing that used to be called "My Controls" or similar has disappeared, yes ? Or is there something the same.

On an "I couldn't give a toss" basis, though, have we lost that facility where people got star ratings, or is it just some unset setting that has made them go away for me ?The quoting thing is a total PITA, but gather it will get fixed eventually.

On your profile page, top right.

I've just got a blackberry that I'm coming to terms with, I'm not adverse to change but one at a time plese! :lol:

May I add, I don't like this new format.

I have just found that the 'read first unread post' no workie.

It takes you to the OP.

I liked this forum as it was different and easy to use. Now... well what can I say. It ain't different anymore.

Martyn

It will once you have logged off and back on, it is only from your first log on to the new forum.

Had the same apparent problem it does go to the old way again.