The new forum software.

Featured Posts

I am getting used to the new look already - what did the old one look like?

The old one worked fairly consistently, at least.

For me, at the mopment, the new one isn't.

Why is some quoting OK, but most not ?

Why is some quoting OK, but most not ?
This is being worked on right now.

Each post pre-existing needs to be rebuilt to render correctly with the new software which takes an amount of time given there are 567,290 posts to get through and its doing 50 a time.

bring back the old slim line version!!

the new pages are too bloody big for my laptop!!

Have you closed/minimised the 'side bar' on the right hand side?

Bloomin heck - one goes away for a couple of days boating and we've had Lawrence LB and Alan Titchmarsh in....

Looks nice...

Only glitch I can spot is the cursor seems to be invisible after pressing return to start a new line/paragraph...

(Using Google chrome)

PS just noticed my location seems to have been messed up...

PPS been into my profile and corrected it and it seems OK now..

Edited by NB No Deadlines

All my unusually shaped vegetables are named. I will, in due course list them all, in my interests column.

Do you talk to them? And will you also be listed their interests? Do you subscribe to the League for the prevention of cruelty to vegetables?

I find your interests so fascinating . . .

Oh and another thing, where can I find " my assistant", and my last posts ?

Phil

For your last posts, select your profile at the top left next to your display name, a drop down menu appears and one of the options is 'My Content' this will show your posts and topics with the latest first.

To view the list of 'Today's top 20 posters' or the list of 'Overall top posters', select 'Forums' on the menu bar, then scroll down to the bottom of the page that lists all the forum headings (under the initial images) and you will find four links on a blue menu bar:

'Today's active content', 'The moderating team', 'Today's top 20 posters', 'Overall top posters'.

Edited by NB Alnwick
Helpful links added

Back from holiday and the world's turned upside down I tell you.

Last time this happened I had to lie down for a while and start talking to the rest of the family while I got my head round it all. And what's more I'm going to have to test-fire the Rayburn tomorrow as well. Ellen's not looking forward to either of those things happening - she's still drying out from the Green Man Festival. And mud. The thought that her mother may just start conversing with her rather than being on here and silent has set her to bed early.

I can't cope with all this change .... Mutter, mutter.... Old dog, new tricks .... Mutter, mutter ...

Back from holiday and the world's turned upside down I tell you.

Last time this happened I had to lie down for a while and start talking to the rest of the family while I got my head round it all. And what's more I'm going to have to test-fire the Rayburn tomorrow as well. Ellen's not looking forward to either of those things happening - she's still drying out from the Green Man Festival. And mud. The thought that her mother may just start conversing with her rather than being on here and silent has set her to bed early.

I can't cope with all this change .... Mutter, mutter.... Old dog, new tricks .... Mutter, mutter ...

Still at least Cobbett is the right sex (for a boat that is)

Just logged in...aaaagghhh!!...what's happened?......oh, new forum software.....now where the **** has that gone?....ah, there it is.....that looks Ok....let's read a post....hmmph,don't like the quotes....oh, they're being fixed...that's better....now where was I?.....(to be continued)

Edited by Québec

The previous skin was also the default IPB skin, as used on a large number of forums also.

Daniel

I think it's a valid point, though, that we've lost our banner, which did give us a unique ID. If we'd always had this skin, I can't see there having been so much demand for window stickers etc.

I've no idea how you resolve that though, but if you can, I'd like to see CWDF or Canal World Discussion Forum more prominently and some unique ID, even if it's not the old banner

edited to add, the first time I opened the revised site (through Google Chrome) it didn't show the old front page, this time it did, and that solves most of the above gripe

Edited by magpie patrick

Two comments from me:

1: The "Recent topics added" seems superfuous to me, particularly in an active forum such as this. Surely people will go to "View new posts" (Or its equivalent) if that is what they want to do. The Recent Topics Added box just adds to the clutter.

2: And yes, the clutter. It just seems a lot more cluttered and untidy compared to the old one. In most web pages (and oh don't I wish more web designners would realise it) less is more. Keep it simple! It should be possible to do this without losing underlying functionality. Extras that few people use but find useful can be hidden under an "advanced features" button or auto-drop down menus.

I am gradually muddling my way around this new format, although I find the layout is messy and less well organized tha the old one. Is it possible to put everything at the top of the page? I have managed to find most of the old features, some of which require scrolling up and down the page, but one thing I cannot find is my mesages page, can anyone give me the instructions please?

Edited to add: Forget that request, i have just found it.

Edited by David Schweizer