The new forum software.

Featured Posts

You don't have permission to access /forums/index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Pah! I'll come back in a few days and hope it's been sorted...currently I can't read anything...

Janet

I've just had trouble getting onto the forum, kept getting a message saying I didn't have permission to enter the forum from my IP address??

Casp'

Edited as I now see it's not just me so probably be sorted soon..

Edited by casper ghost

<snip>

It appears the isnt a 'English (UK)' dictionary, but you can alter it manually so I might try and find some whos already done that. Else i shall set about and (with help from someone else) change it myself.

Daniel

Dan, are you planning to edit the dictionary yourself? I'm just remembering that spelling isn't necessarily your strong point...

:lol:

Keep up the good work, it's starting to come together now

Richard

211000 now with 350000 ish to go!

And at 238000 after hammering there servers for most of the day, it seems the host gets fed up and pulls the plug.

Much grovelling later, and we're back in the room!

Dan, are you planning to edit the dictionary yourself? I'm just remembering that spelling isn't necessarily your strong point...

Bahhh, it'll be fine...!

But yes, hence last resort, and only considering with the help of others. Or are you offering to be said assistant?

Posting times appear to be in GMT.

Yes, actually, this is one of the few things i knew would happened.

They have changed the way that the 'daylight savings' thing works, due to the fact it didnt used to be that reliable, and therefore it wasnt possible to transfer users settings and hence you have to reset them yourself. If you would.

<snip>

But yes, hence last resort, and only considering with the help of others. Or are you offering to be said assistant?

<snip>

Reputation points...

Now, there's a new challenge

Richard

I refer the honourable gentlemen to the above quote from another thread...

Richard

I just want to agree with Ray, and say thanks Dan! I know a forum upgrade will always make some people happy and upset others who liked it just the way it was. Yup, it looks a bit funny and I don't know where everything is yet, but I'm sure lots of people will appreciate the added benefits over time.... :lol: (And go on, you know you want to add some crazier smilies to the available forum ones!!)

I refer the honourable gentlemen to the above quote from another thread...

Im liking what you have done there! Nice cross-thread use of the multi-quote functionality.

Im sure theres a list somewhere online of words that are spelt different in the US to the UK

I just want to agree with Ray, and say thanks Dan! I know a forum upgrade will always make some people happy and upset others who liked it just the way it was. Yup, it looks a bit funny and I don't know where everything is yet, but I'm sure lots of people will appreciate the added benefits over time.... :lol: (And go on, you know you want to add some crazier smilies to the available forum ones!!)

It does go on about how easy it is to add additional smiley packs.....

Daniel

Full marks to Daniel for biting the bullet with the upgrade. I do have a lot of sympathy as I know it will probably involve a lot of time and effort to tweek things.

In the meantime, this is still a great board and everything looks fine, and it all works ............

Guest wanted

I've just noticed that the tabs at the top under the new logo don't work on the home page. No issue because the 'old' ones under seem to be fine. Just a heads up.

Big up to Dan and the site crew for their hard work :lol:

I've just noticed that the tabs at the top under the new logo don't work on the home page. No issue because the 'old' ones under seem to be fine. Just a heads up.

Yes, the current home page is a bit of a crappy lash up and the buttons are infact actually just a picture of buttons! :lol:

Full marks to Daniel for biting the bullet with the upgrade. I do have a lot of sympathy as I know it will probably involve a lot of time and effort to tweek things.

In the meantime, this is still a great board and everything looks fine, and it all works ............

Thankyou very much indeed.

As you say, its a fair chunk of work (like, ive done literally nothing else all day) but having talked about for about 6months and seen it coming before that I do feel we have left it as long as we can and that its the right thing to do both for the members and for the site staff and myself.

Daniel

I think the triplicate post was probably a combination of the forum chugging and my dongle only showing a measly green at the moment - despite assuring me it has an excellent signal!

Thanks Dan for all the hard work :lol:

Two questions for the Team:

Why do some the quotes section from reply posts appear in a green box (similar to previous format) and some just appear as text with the word QUOTE at the beginning and <{POST_SNAPBACK}> also displayed? Are some people posting replies incorrectly, or is there an incompatability between operating systems? This is happening with recent posts as well as old posts.

If the language is English USA, does that mean that there is a spell ckeck facility (not that it would be much use in American!) and how is it accessed ?

By the way, I am getting used to the new format now, but a lot of people seem to have removed their interests section to reduce clutter, which i think is a shame.

Edited by David Schweizer

First question already answered in other threads but you must have missed it.

Answer it will eventually shown all quotes in the green box, it is an update process that Daniel has to do manually and will take time.

Second question

Answer do not know. I have a spell check in Firefox that works for me.

Why do some the quotes section from reply posts appear in a green box (similar to previous format) and some just appear as text with the word QUOTE at the beginning and <{POST_SNAPBACK}> also displayed? Are some people posting replies incorrectly, or is there an incompatability between operating systems? This is happening with recent posts as well as old posts.

The later. All of the half a millon posts we have created before the software upgrade need to be rebuilt to render correctly, this got to 50% completion last night (starting from the first post working forwards, sadly, rather than from the most recent back) before the host pulled the plug for excess server load! Im hoping to resolve this shortly, but in the mean time this is the only noticeable effect from the old posts not being rebuilt. All other content has been rebuilt.

If the language is English USA, does that mean that there is a spell ckeck facility (not that it would be much use in American!) and how is it accessed ?
Is there is, i should have put in the list if improvements.

To you it you need to turn on the 'rich text editor' with is done by clicking the drop down in the top right corner [your screen name] and secting:

Settings > General > Post Settings > RTE (tick box)

Then it will red-underline misspelt words when they are typed within the msg box like word. Right click, select the spelling your after

By the way, I am getting used to the new format now, but a lot of people seem to have removed their interests section to reduce clutter, which i think is a shame.
I agree. Ive worked out how to do it, but it now doesnt show on the 'topic view' so can be as long as you like.

<snip>

Never mind the "Interests section". What's happened to the membership number? As member No.14 I had a sense of seniority, even though at my present rate of posting I'll not get to be a "Long Standind Member" until around Nov: 2019 :lol:

The new look is steadily growing on me though!

Maybe its been answered elsewhere but I couldnt find anything. On the old version you could search for a member and then from a drop down box immediately list all thier posts. I found that very useful. Now it seems you have to go to Advanced search and then Open up their profile and then select all their posts. Which all seemed a longer process as well as you showing up as reading the persons profile everytime you want to see what they have contributed. Is there an easier way?

Maybe its been answered elsewhere but I couldnt find anything. On the old version you could search for a member and then from a drop down box immediately list all thier posts. I found that very useful. Now it seems you have to go to Advanced search and then Open up their profile and then select all their posts. Which all seemed a longer process as well as you showing up as reading the persons profile everytime you want to see what they have contributed. Is there an easier way?

It also, only gives you the member's posts from the past year (or the last 1000 posts, if they've made more posts than that over the past year).

Guest wanted

Yes, the current home page is a bit of a crappy lash up and the buttons are infact actually just a picture of buttons! :lol:

Thankyou very much indeed.

As you say, its a fair chunk of work (like, ive done literally nothing else all day) but having talked about for about 6months and seen it coming before that I do feel we have left it as long as we can and that its the right thing to do both for the members and for the site staff and myself.

Daniel

Same theory as I have had with glueing bolt heads on my stove then! :lol:

Urrrm. You should be able to just click on the 'gear type logo thingy' to the right of the search box (top right of each page) which takes you direct to the advanced search page, members name into the 'author' field and hit search?