The new forum software.

Featured Posts

The poll thread got closed while I was writing my post so I'll post it here instead:

A bit of a shock to log in and find it looks all different, or at least, different from Canal World Forum but the same as a load of other forums out there that use the skins provided by the software supplier. Before we had Canal World forum now we have a forum which is about canals. What I mean by that is the "corporate identity" was that of Canal World, now it is that of IBP. I don't like the new look and that is not just reaction to change, I know other forums that have been using it for a while and I don't like it there either. As close as we could get to the old look the better is my vote.

Except Dan says that's going to be sorted soon - good news. For a moment when I logged in I thought I'd gone to the wrong page. We need an identity.

I'm confused! It's not as clear as the old layout (font size, colour, contrast and layout), and there's photos on the opening page which is a b*gger if you're using a dongle on the boat.

Yup. Photos weren't a problem today as I'm on a decent connection, but they could be on a shakier connection. Will find out soon.

Otherwise, it looks fine at first glance and I'm sure I'll find my way round. Will peek back later

Since what we previously knew as private messages are now called 'personal conversations' should they be 'PC' rather than 'PM' - never really thought of myself as 'PC'?

Given that the term "PM" has been around for about a decade that i know of, and on other forums where there called all sorts, including "U2U's" im going to keep call it a PM, although im no more of a prime minister than i am police constable.

Given that the term "PM" has been around for about a decade that i know of, and on other forums where there called all sorts, including "U2U's" im going to keep call it a PM, although im no more of a prime minister than i am police constable.

Is this PM tension?

Yup. Photos weren't a problem today as I'm on a decent connection, but they could be on a shakier connection.

The photos are around 4kb each, 24kb for the six. Which given they will be be cached after the first time they load and are relatively unlikely to change during any one session on the forum shouldn't be a major issue but let me know if they are.

The html for the index page is around 180kb, with around 25kb of buttons, and 24kb of the six images across the top.

Well, I've been playing around with this on and off all day, and I still can't find my draft blog entries!

I had twelve or thirteen drafts ready, with all the timings, lock miles, distances etc, and I was gradually adding text and photo's ready to publish them ... now they've all vanished!

Anybody help? I've just added a new draft as a test, and I can see that OK, but the others have vanished...

Janet

BUT... Dan, 'Discussion' is misspelt!! One 'c' then two 's's.

Yep.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=32571

Like this...

Any idea why the quote boxes are in sickly green while the rest of the forum is in shades of blue?

If you have a quote within a quote, they turn a fetching Lilac... (or it that another thread)

And yes i am aware the forum is running dog-rough at present.

Why i tried to rebuild the posts 50 at a time via the admin control panel it got about 10th of the way there in five hours and then timed out, so im now having go at doing it 1000 at a time via the acp and its a bit sluggish. Although its got to 100,000 (of 567,500) in about an hour. So we might just pull it off.

Otherwise im going to have to have to get the host to do it via SSH, as they wont allow me SSH access.

Daniel

I have just found that the 'read first unread post' no workie.

It takes you to the OP.

Martyn

Well, I just found the new software, am getting the hang, didn't see any reason for change, but right enough, the 'first unread post' DOES NOT WORK, which makes 'view new content' rather pointless. Please?

Mac

I view the new posts since I previously logged off each time that I connect. Sometimes I don't get through all the posts before having to leave the PC, which I temporarily put into hibernation. With the old format the previous display (and topic list) would still be there when the PC was woken up again suggesting that I wasn't disconnected whilst the laptop was inactive. The new software appears to log you off if you're inactive and this resets the "new posts" so that you can only see what's changed whilst the PC was in hibernation mode.

I presume that something similar can happen when you're using a mobile connection which is a bit iffy - as it is when we're at the boatyard, where We frequently have to keep re-connecting.

Is this something we have to live with or can it be changed? Alternatively, how can I view the posts that have now "disappeared"?

^ this

please

May I add, I don't like this new format.

I have just found that the 'read first unread post' no workie.

It takes you to the OP.

I liked this forum as it was different and easy to use. Now... well what can I say. It ain't different anymore.

Martyn

Well, I just found the new software, am getting the hang, didn't see any reason for change, but right enough, the 'first unread post' DOES NOT WORK, which makes 'view new content' rather pointless. Please?

Mac

I found it doesnt work if viewing threads that you looked at in last format, but once you looked at them in the new format they then work from then on.

I view the new posts since I previously logged off each time that I connect. Sometimes I don't get through all the posts before having to leave the PC, which I temporarily put into hibernation. With the old format the previous display (and topic list) would still be there when the PC was woken up again suggesting that I wasn't disconnected whilst the laptop was inactive. The new software appears to log you off if you're inactive and this resets the "new posts" so that you can only see what's changed whilst the PC was in hibernation mode.

I presume that something similar can happen when you're using a mobile connection which is a bit iffy - as it is when we're at the boatyard, where We frequently have to keep re-connecting.

Is this something we have to live with or can it be changed? Alternatively, how can I view the posts that have now "disappeared"?

I dont know the answer to this but will look into it.

Well, I've been playing around with this on and off all day, and I still can't find my draft blog entries!

I had twelve or thirteen drafts ready, with all the timings, lock miles, distances etc, and I was gradually adding text and photo's ready to publish them ... now they've all vanished!

Anybody help? I've just added a new draft as a test, and I can see that OK, but the others have vanished...

Again i dont know the answer to this and cant directly help at present but I will make a post on the Invision forums and ask what the consensus is. However, depending on how comprehensive and careful the blog upgrade process is coded, there is a chance they may have been lost. In which case i can but apologise.

I still say the Blog page needs sorting, it's very difficult to find a blog unless you already know the shortcut.

Casp'

Again, i'll look into this.

I personally have never really used the blog (in its old state, or currently) so all i really know it the the general consensus is that the new version of the blog software is considered to be much better, so i'll have a play around and see what the state of play is.

There seems to be a before and after thing happening with the "go to first unread" facility. It works for me with threads that I've visited after the upgrade, but not for those I last read before.

I'm liking it by the way. I've just been into my PM box and there's a new facility for archiving your PMs to your e-mail account which is rather handy. Time for a tidy up - my message box has been hovering in the 90-95% full range for ages!

My only, very minor, gripe is the loss of the "top" button on each post.

The change was not for the aesthetic changes, but rather the operational changes, both for users but also the site staff.

I found it doesnt work if viewing threads that you looked at in last format, but once you looked at them in the new format they then work from then on.

This could well be true. Currently as above the server is about 1/4 of the way through rebuilding the content each old post into the new format, and although its working from the back to the front (so threads from four years ago, now look fine, but not yesterdays!) assuming it gets to completion prehaps this will solve the problem. Else again i will look into it.

I have a square plastic plate entitled 'forumstuff' onto which in writing lists of things to do in drywipe. Bare with me all!!

Can I ask is anyone else getting alot more emails letting you know someone has replied to a topic, I used to get a couple a day come home tonight got 60+ emails from canalworld.

Im not getting any additional notifications of contributions to topics, no.

However it is possible that in the move to the new version of the software your settings as to what you receive notifications has not migrated across to behave quite as it did as the section of options has changed in the upgrade to offer now far more flexibility.

If you click on the drop down that displays your username (top right corner) and go to your settings there is a page of notification options.

Daniel

Can I ask is anyone else getting alot more emails letting you know someone has replied to a topic, I used to get a couple a day come home tonight got 60+ emails from canalworld.

I've just checked my e-mails and the only CWDF related one I had was letting me know I had a new PM. I seem to remember editing my settings so I only get PM related notifications but can't for the life of me remember how I did it! I'm sure someone else will know.

Edit - damn - crossed posts with Dan!

How on earth did I post that in triplicate!!!!

Edited by Ange

Im not getting any additional notifications of contributions to topics, no.

However it is possible that in the move to the new version of the software your settings as to what you receive notifications has not migrated across to behave quite as it did as the section of options has changed in the upgrade to offer now far more flexibility.

If you click on the drop down that displays your username (top right corner) and go to your settings there is a page of notification options.

Daniel

I've just checked my e-mails and the only CWDF related one I had was letting me know I had a new PM. I seem to remember editing my settings so I only get PM related notifications but can't for the life of me remember how I did it! I'm sure someone else will know.

Edit - damn - crossed posts with Dan!

Thanks to you both.

The new emails do also tell you what the poster posted which is different :lol:

As i say, the forums being very sluggish at the moment as im asking it to rebuild posts 1000 at a time in a bit to get it done fast enough that it does all 560,000 before it drops out again!

Thanks to you both.

The new emails do also tell you what the poster posted which is different :lol:

Yes, thats very useful isnt it, particularly if you are able to pick up emails on your mobile but not readily able to browse the web. Further more, if you preferred it not too, that is also an option with the user CP.

Daniel

I've been through the thread once, I don't want to trawl through it again so apologies if this has already been said and I missed it:

When I go to 'new posts' it lists a few. If there is one a little before what it brings up I could easily find it by selecting 'last seven days'. Now it seems I can't.

So, for instance, looking just now, it only brought up threads since 5.52, i.e. 1 1/2 hours ago. I know there was a thread / post about three hours ago that I wanted to check on, but it seems the option to extend the list in the previous forum is now missing.

edit: and why only a USA dictionary? - the language is called "English" after all - it should be the worldwide default!

Edited by dor

Now on 135000 posts rebuilt.

211000 now with 350000 ish to go!

I've been through the thread once, I don't want to trawl through it again so apologies if this has already been said and I missed it:

When I go to 'new posts' it lists a few. If there is one a little before what it brings up I could easily find it by selecting 'last seven days'. Now it seems I can't.

Yes this has been mentioned, see post #93 amongst others, and yes im looking into it.

It appears the isnt a 'English (UK)' dictionary, but you can alter it manually so I might try and find some whos already done that. Else i shall set about and (with help from someone else) change it myself.

Daniel

Posting times appear to be in GMT.

Since I first logged on this morning there have been a number of changes which gradually seem to be ironing out many of the reported differences between old and new versions.

For this and all the other things that get done in the background I'll stick my head above the parapet and express my gratitude to Dan and the mods. Thanks all of you.