The new forum software.

Featured Posts

Just posting to see what I look like now I'm new....I was born narcissistic! oo, is that a mirror?

Its actaully giving your gender.

Since the last update around four years ago we have been running two gender fields in parallel, a 'custom field' titled 'gender' and also a forum default field for gender, which previously it didnt have (hence the custom added field). I think now is a good time to phase out the duplicate field, but in the mean time, it appears with the other custom added field 'boat name' .

If that makes sense to anyone other than me.

Apparently i now need to grate cheese for the evening meal, but as soon as im done keeping mum happy, i will be back!!

Daniel

Gosh!..he can grate cheese too...come back soon, there will be about 8 more pages if you dont.... :lol:

Im off now to make my interests much more interesting.

Is there a way I can cut down the amount of information I get on each poster? Alan Fincher's list of interests is fascinating, but it's longer than most of his posts!

Richard

Dan's list is quite big too

Just opened up forum on my Blackberry. Just a few thoughts

1. Photos are badly distorted on B'berry

2.Less information is given on topics in the header like who started it

3. Less information given about posters like how long they have been members and how often they post

4. No footers on posts so links to blogs are no longer available

Overall I thought the old look worked it gave me the information about topics and posts that I wanted. It helped me decide whether to view a topic or not.

Hopefully the current format is an interim one only and a more friendly one will replace it when the upgrade is fully implemented.

Overall I like the content of the Forum but could stsrt to look elsewhere.

Richard

Is there a way I can cut down the amount of information I get on each poster? Alan Fincher's list of interests is fascinating, but it's longer than most of his posts!

Richard

I shall treat it as a personal challenge to have the longest list of interests.

Just opened up forum on my Blackberry. Just a few thoughts

1. Photos are badly distorted on B'berry

2.Less information is given on topics in the header like who started it

3. Less information given about posters like how long they have been members and how often they post

4. No footers on posts so links to blogs are no longer available

Overall I thought the old look worked it gave me the information about topics and posts that I wanted. It helped me decide whether to view a topic or not.

Hopefully the current format is an interim one only and a more friendly one will replace it when the upgrade is fully implemented.

Overall I like the content of the Forum but could stsrt to look elsewhere.

Richard

Moderators please remove duplicate topic. I got an error when posting so sent againm

The site looks better on my phone and works better on my phone so I suggest we all get rid of our computers and just access the site on our mobiles :lol:

Sue

This is silly. If you look at people's posts you get a line of comment, then loads of space devoted to their personal details. The old software used to keep all that to a sensible block but now it's ridiculous. You have to scroll through lots of wasted space to read each of the users replies.

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Yes, thats not ideal is it. Im sure we can have it not do that shortly.

Same here, found all the buttons etc. seems just like the old one just different design

Yep, thats the main point. However much of the back end of the forum has changed to make the forum work better, post reports for instance go to a central handling area, rather than being sent out via the PM system meaning non of the moderators know which reports have been dealt with and how.

It should also greatly the issues with spam and mean that we can remove the need to have each new member manually vetted by moderators as they will instead be handled by a global knowledge base of know spammers and past behavior. This will allow new members to post straight away again without the delay of waiting for a moderator to process the list which is in itself a time consuming a mundane and seemingly never ending task.

Daniel

here I just found a new one the post preview give you the first and last post of the topic :lol:

I just checked my email box i got over 20 emails say people have posted used to it 1 for every topic if it was 1 or 10 people post now seam to be getting one everytime 1 person post.

My email in box is getting full lol how i stop it ?

Edited by MrCJ

Richard

Well you certainly know how to win friends Richard. They have both shortened their list. I, conversly, am going to lengthen mine just to annoy you. :lol:

I shall treat it as a personal challenge to have the longest list of interests.

Well that's not a very long list. :lol:

Edited by David Schweizer

Richard

You can't bloomin win, can you.

John Orentas used to frequently castigate us for not providing information about us, and our skills.

More recently one of our members in Thrupp has been constantly bemoaning that people fail to tell us about themselves.

Now, by trying to keep these folks happy, just because the effin forum software has changed, those of us who have complied are suddenly the bad boys of the piece.

Must admit, having worked my socks off to try and complete an over-running repaint of the boat, I'm about as tired as I can ever recall. So the new software could hardly have arrived at a worse time for me, as all I wanted was a quick trawl of posts for a bit of relaxation.

For me, some of the quoting shows properly, but the majority has failed to be highlighted in any way. It may just be tiredness, but some of the posts are near unreadable, as I can't be arsed to see what is quoted, and what is actual post.

I think I might retire from this for a day or two, until a few things get fixed!