The new forum software.

Featured Posts

Its actaully giving your gender.

Since the last update around four years ago we have been running two gender fields in parallel, a 'custom field' titled 'gender' and also a forum default field for gender, which previously it didnt have (hence the custom added field). I think now is a good time to phase out the duplicate field, but in the mean time, it appears with the other custom added field 'boat name' .

If that makes sense to anyone other than me?

I'm too busy dealing with my gender identity crisis, at the moment.

Please see the above post. I have now removed the secondary gender field from the TopicView also.

We could cheat by listing interests in our signature...

There is a character count limit on signatures you will be pleased to note...

Now that the interest section has been removed from the forum pages, hopefully people will reinstate their interests.

Yes i hope so. I updated mine, but didnt reduce it. There is also an 'about me' section with allows a more lengthy contribution.

Daniel

Urrrm. You should be able to just click on the 'gear type logo thingy' to the right of the search box (top right of each page) which takes you direct to the advanced search page, members name into the 'author' field and hit search?

Now I see the 'gear type logo thingy' but that doesnt seem to let you search just for all one members posts, unless I am missing something.

Now I see the 'gear type logo thingy' but that doesnt seem to let you search just for all one members posts, unless I am missing something.

Just put the members name into the 'author' search field and hit search, with no other search terms.

Please see the above post. I have now removed the secondary gender field from the TopicView also.

Still there at 14:18 today . . .

But gone now . . .

Is it possible to re-arrange the fields so that 'boat name' (where applicable) appears above the 'Location' field?

Just put the members name into the 'author' search field and hit search, with no other search terms.

I hit the gear thingy. I type in Alan_Fincher. The radial button Forums is already marked. The results are (I presume) all topics he has contributed to, not individual posts he has made.

Still there at 14:18 today . . .

But gone now . . .

Mumbblefluff&commentsaboutitnotbeingontheplate&suchlike.... but yes, done. Thankyou!

Is it possible to re-arrange the fields so that 'boat name' (where applicable) appears above the 'Location' field?

It may well be. However the location is the location of yourself, not the boat. This is contained a different field which does not show by the side of post.

I hit the gear thingy. I type in Alan_Fincher. The radial button Forums is already marked. The results are (I presume) all topics he has contributed to, not individual posts he has made.

Ahh, cunning!

No, sorry, your right. If you want posts view, rather than threaded view, a little down the form you have 'Display results: As posts or As a topic list'

Also, while we've at it, if you want all the thread that have been created by the user, leave it in thread view, and tick 'Search titles only'

Daniel

Ahh, cunning!

No, sorry, your right. If you want posts view, rather than threaded view, a little down the form you have 'Display results: As posts or As a topic list'

Also, while we've at it, if you want all the thread that have been created by the user, leave it in thread view, and tick 'Search titles only'

I'm getting confused, so when this has all been explored and understood, could we have something pinned somewhere for me to refer to?

Richard

I've been through the thread once, I don't want to trawl through it again so apologies if this has already been said and I missed it:

When I go to 'new posts' it lists a few. If there is one a little before what it brings up I could easily find it by selecting 'last seven days'. Now it seems I can't.

So, for instance, looking just now, it only brought up threads since 5.52, i.e. 1 1/2 hours ago. I know there was a thread / post about three hours ago that I wanted to check on, but it seems the option to extend the list in the previous forum is now missing.

edit: and why only a USA dictionary? - the language is called "English" after all - it should be the worldwide default!

To help with some of this I have just found an interesting option in the "My settings" area, under "general settings" is a choice of how the "View New Content" link works, it is selectable between "show me all new content since my last visit" and "show me all content that I have not read"

To help with some of this I have just found an interesting option in the "My settings" area, under "general settings" is a choice of how the "View New Content" link works, it is selectable between "show me all new content since my last visit" and "show me all content that I have not read"

My brain is starting to hurt

Richard

My brain is starting to hurt

Richard

You could always try researching LNWR and LMS narrow boat liveries instead!

For me, I think the new format is great and we all can see that Daniel is doing a tremendous amount of work customising the format to suit our 'unusual requirements' - I predict that within a few days we will have forgotten that there ever was any other way of viewing our favourite forum . . .

You could always try researching LNWR and LMS narrow boat liveries instead!

For me, I think the new format is great and we all can see that Daniel is doing a tremendous amount of work customising the format to suit our 'unusual requirements' - I predict that within a few days we will have forgotten that there ever was any other way of viewing our favourite forum . . .

That's easy. The LMS ones are the same as express locomotives, and the LNWR ones don't exist*

Richard

*unless they do, of course. It'd be nice to find some pictures of narrowboats being built at Crewe for the SU

That's easy. The LMS ones are the same as express locomotives, and the LNWR ones don't exist*

Richard

*unless they do, of course. It'd be nice to find some pictures of narrowboats being built at Crewe for the SU

That would be the post 1941 Wartime austerity livery mixed with a decent proportion of Crewe's finest white lead . . .

And lined with drop black

Richard

I know this is well :lol: but I still think that one of Riddles' greatest achievements was the re-introduction of the LNWR lined black livery for mixed traffic and secondary passenger classes - it even made the Manchester-Sheffield electrics and the old Adams tanks on the Isle of Wight look smart - in a very dignified way . . .

I tried all content I haven't read, but every time I read a thread it disappeared.

As suggested earlier, can't remember the thread number and can't be bothered to read it all to find it, if you click the forum button at the top of the page, and go down to the bottom, there is a button saying "todays active content."

I have put this as a bookmark on my browsers bookmarks toolbar (I'm using firefox) and that sorts it for me.

Sue

BTW you two, I thought this topic was about the new forum, not VERY old trains.

Looks fine to me - trillion times better that the new Springer World forum which ahs a load of stuff added which is no use at all.

Well Done Dan. :lol:

Rats - take back all that I have just said - how do you add a nice smiley face here? Loads of smileys, that's wot I want. Especially a 'tongue in cheek' one.

AND where is that crossing out of text thing - I liked that too.

AND where is colour change on replies eh?, that was useful.

Dan, a fairly serious complaint, which may not be new, it may have happened under the old software as well (although I don't recall it)

I've just tried to post in the unstable bar with three images from different websites. Having been allowed to insert the images while editing, I got barred from posting because "links with that extension are not allowed on this website" (non specific)

But it didn't specify the extension! and as I had three images I guessed, and presumably guessed wrong as I got the same warning again (it could have been that the replacement image also fell foul, rather than one of the other two).

This is probably the software supplier being a bit mainstream, rather than anything you've done, but is a tad annoying

Beer on the bar for you...

Dan, a fairly serious complaint, which may not be new, it may have happened under the old software as well (although I don't recall it)

I've just tried to post in the unstable bar with three images from different websites. Having been allowed to insert the images while editing, I got barred from posting because "links with that extension are not allowed on this website" (non specific)

There are settings as to what extensions are or are allowed, currently set to the default setting of gif,jpeg,jpg and png and its possible that old software had different settings that haven't been  migrated, although i would have thought gif/jpeg/png would have covered most things. The forum does not interrogate post content until the post is submitted, hence you get the error at the end. 

Can you tell me the extension of the images it disallowed?

Also, another point that im not going to get hung up about, but do you have permission from the site in question that is hosting and probably has ownership to redisplay their images. I know people are often somewhat sloppy and copyright, but depending on the situation its certainly not overly polite to steal there bandwidth as well as there material.

Daniel

Looks fine to me - trillion times better that the new Springer World forum which ahs a load of stuff added which is no use at all.

Well Done Dan. B)

Rats - take back all that I have just said - how do you add a nice smiley face here? Loads of smileys, that's wot I want. Especially a 'tongue in cheek' one.

AND where is that crossing out of text thing - I liked that too.

AND where is colour change on replies eh?, that was useful.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:;) ;) :lol::o

Curiously there are some the same repeats in the smileys

Richard