The new forum software.

Featured Posts

Christine

They are all along the top of the reply box.

S Strike through

:lol: Smilies or use an outside site such as http://www.bestsmileys.com/

just hover and the buttons will tell you their use.

OK OK OK - I need to update my browser. Thanks Dan but they don't show if you are still on old IE

There are settings as to what extensions are or are allowed, currently set to the default setting of gif,jpeg,jpg and png and its possible that old software had different settings that haven't been  migrated, although i would have thought gif/jpeg/png would have covered most things. The forum does not interrogate post content until the post is submitted, hence you get the error at the end. 

Can you tell me the extension of the images it disallowed?

Also, another point that im not going to get hung up about, but do you have permission from the site in question that is hosting and probably has ownership to redisplay their images. I know people are often somewhat sloppy and copyright, but depending on the situation its certainly not overly polite to steal there bandwidth as well as there material.

Daniel

Thanks Dan, I think before it told you which extension it didn't like, whereas now it doesn't. With three images not so easy to guess...

Appreciate the copyright issues, but as far as I'm aware not an issue in this case

When you get a pm, and read it, it keeps saying you have the unread notice which you then have to go into seperately to delete.. Also, when clicking on the smilie and I then want to get rid of them I first have to click on show full list otherwise the x isn't there to click on..

Casp'

Clicking on the link to forums just now brought up six random photo's which took up the whole screen...

I can't figure out how do a screen print and get it on here to show you what I mean.

Can we either do away with them or at least limit them to a single line across the top of the screen?

It makes it a bit difficult if you're trying to view the forum whilst you're supposed to be working!

Janet

Edited by Janet S

Clicking on the link to forums just now brought up six random photo's which took up the whole screen...

I can't figure out how do a screen print and get it on here to show you what I mean.

Can we either do away with them or at least limit them to a single line across the top of the screen?

It makes it a bit difficult if you're trying to view the forum whilst you're supposed to be working!

Janet

My bookmark takes me straight to the "View new content" screen, bypassing the front page.

OK OK OK - I need to update my browser. Thanks Dan but they don't show if you are still on old IE

Ive just fired up said (IE v.6.0.2900.5512_xpsp_sp3 running on windows XP) and although i rendered somewhat badly because it uses windows colours for the backdrop of the buttons (which in my case, is black) but otherwise all seems to work ok. Works the same with or without the richtexteditor turned on. As below.

image1et.th.jpg

When you get a pm, and read it, it keeps saying you have the unread notice which you then have to go into seperately to delete..

This will because you have it set to give you a 'notification' of receiving a message. If you go and look at the msg without going via the notification its still there. I have to say im not overly impressed with that. However there is a whole page of options for notifications, and you can turn them off for messages. Which i get email notifications of already anyway.

Also, when clicking on the smilie and I then want to get rid of them I first have to click on show full list otherwise the x isn't there to click on..

I presume you are wanting to close the emotions window (appears on the right hand side of the msg window) after adding a simlie and there isnt a cross to close it in the top right corner? Until you click view all? If so, i actually dont get the error, however if you do, please let me know what browser your using and i'll submit a bug-report. In the mean time, you can toggle the window both open and closed with the emotion button, along the top line.

The images (six, 160*160 max) are intended to be a single line across the top. However i have noticed that with a narrower screen size than about 1100 (fine on a 1280*1024, but not if your on a laptop with less) they do then cascade down to as many lines as needed to accommodate the six.

I dont know an easy fix for this, i might be able to make it five rather than six however if that would cure it, otherwise as i quite like the feature the best i can suggest is that i go and ask if theres a fix to force it to once line and that in the mean time you do as Carl T and make your bookmark take you straight to the new content page.

Thanks Dan, I think before it told you which extension it didn't like, whereas now it doesn't. With three images not so easy to guess...

Maybe it did, i couldn't tell you to be fair. I can mention it as something for the software developers to look at certainly. However im still curious as to what image extension you where trying to upload that isnt on the list. Prehaps it should be and i can add it.

Daniel

I think I have noticed a problem. On the initial screen, there is a box on the right saying that "X" has started a new conversation etc etc. Now even though I have then gone and looked at the message and indeed deleted it, the box stays there with its now false message.

Or is it me?? (attr Terry Wogan)

My bookmark takes me straight to the "View new content" screen, bypassing the front page.

So does mine but I like to "mark all as read" regularly to keep the new content down and when you do that it goes to the front page. On a netbook the photos do take up space at the moment, which I don't really mind if they keep changing.

Edited by journeyperson

Janet

So does mine but I like to "mark all as read" regularly to keep the new content down and when you do that it goes to the front page. On a netbook the photos do take up space at the moment, which I don't really mind if they keep changing.

Try the Mobile theme (you can select the Theme which is located at the bottom of every page). It's really a "fat free" theme which you may prefer.

Just seen that my avatar wasn't showing on any post, it's there in the settings but the forum now uses the photo option, so if your avatar has disappeared go to your settings and use the photo option.

Edited by Robbo

I think I have noticed a problem. On the initial screen, there is a box on the right saying that "X" has started a new conversation etc etc. Now even though I have then gone and looked at the message and indeed deleted it, the box stays there with its now false message.

Or is it me?? (attr Terry Wogan)

This will because you have it set to give you a 'notification' of receiving a message. If you go and look at the msg without going via the notification its still there. I have to say im not overly impressed with that. However there is a whole page of options for notifications, and you can turn them off for messages. Which i get email notifications of already anyway.

I think the above answers this? Otherwise let me know.

Ive also been persuaded to place the 'UK Waterways Ranking' logo on the bottom of each page, rather than just the bottom of the home page, where it was ranked as 8th. Its not a pretty item, but it is small, so we shall see how it goes. The site seems to have gained a substantial amount of respect, and if a games worth playing, it might as well be played in full.

http://www.coobeastie.co.uk/ranking/index.php

Daniel

Ive also been persuaded to place the 'UK Waterways Ranking' logo on the bottom of each page, rather than just the bottom of the home page, where it was ranked as 8th. Its not a pretty item, but it is small, so we shall see how it goes. The site seems to have gained a substantial amount of respect, and if a games worth playing, it might as well be played in full.

http://www.coobeastie.co.uk/ranking/index.php

Daniel

Seventh now

Richard

Maybe it did, i couldn't tell you to be fair. I can mention it as something for the software developers to look at certainly. However im still curious as to what image extension you where trying to upload that isnt on the list. Prehaps it should be and i can add it.

Daniel

I'd like to tell you. Full story, in the unStable bar, we track current affairs, the upgrade being one of them. I was going to crack a joke about different skins for the bar and illustrate it with pictures of a wine bar, a family pub and a boozer, so I searched for all three on google, found images and attempted to insert them. All three were promotional, and such sites normally WANT you to raid their material as it's good publicity, but one (and I don't know which one) was thrown out. I replaced the obvious suspect (it wasn't the extension, it was the fact the image was potentially dynamic which I've fallen foul of before) but still got a rejection. Because of a lack of detail, I'd no idea whether I'd replaced the wrong image or whether the replacement also fell foul!

But now, two days later, I can't be sure I'd find the same images again... sorry. If/When it happens again, I'll tell you all the details