My hose won't start

Mangina

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

So can you answer my earlier question about when you were appointed and when this was announced to the forum?

I'm not questioning your suitability for the job, but I am a bit surprised to find that as far as I can see you have crept into the role 'under the radar'.

Maybe you missed the username change.

12 hours ago, David Mack said:

Is he? Since when? 

I don't recall his appointment being announced. He is not listed as a moderator in the most recent forum announcement on the subject:

Try clicking on Buccaneer66 in your link above to see a miraculous transformation.

20 hours ago, magnetman said:

I wonder if 'hose' is an autocorrect of 'boat'. 

Or possibly predictive text. 

I have sad news. The chap who invented predictive text died earlier today. He pissed away peacefully in his sheep and his funfair is next monkey!

• Greenie 2

Interesting that there is much bleating on TV at the moment about the dangers of AI. It seems to have got the politicians worried - maybe they see their jobs being in danger as AI would probably make better decisions, keep their promises, not sexually assault their assistants etc etc.

Roll on the future - you will be assimilated, resistance is  futile. If it's Seven of Nine doing the assimilating I'm ready . . . . . . .

On 18/11/2023 at 10:58, Tony Brooks said:

As you seem to think taking the micky out of what looks like an AI bot posting is unfair, then let us all see your considered answer to the question, rather than sniping from the sidelines. Sniping is easy, constructive answers with so little information is all but impossible

I tend to agree that it's not a serious post. I don't think it's "AI" because they don't just go out and do stuff without instruction, they help someone to automate doing stuff or assembling information. Even if an AI is involved, there is a person behind it.

On 18/11/2023 at 12:31, Alan de Enfield said:

Definition of 'Mangina' :

So what we have looks more like a joker with a throw-away account. Maybe a troll, but it doesn't seem like a particularly nasty one...  so I expect it's a local.

The most likely motive is for the amusement of lobbing a silly first post and then sitting back to watch what happens.

Well I did get some useful info from the following chatter - thanks all - but I can get something from most threads.

So my attempt at a construction suggestion (@Tony Brooks, it's a perfectly reasonable thing to ask for imo) is not a constructive answer but a mixture of constructive question and grey rock.

The constructive question is to point out that this doesn't make enough sense to constructively answer, just on the off-chance that it is a real person with a real question.

The grey rock is to discourage a repeat. https://psychcentral.com/health/grey-rock-method , formerly known as Do Not Feed The Troll. (Some voices seem to be disagreeing with DNFTT but that's a whole other thing.)

Concrete example: "I'm not sure I understood your question. Can you give us some more information?"

It's an effective literal answer but otherwise entirely dull. It contains no hostility, no mocking, nothing to be offended about, really nothing nutritious or tasty for a troll.

On 18/11/2023 at 22:47, Arthur Marshall said:

[...] saying your hose won't start without a snorkel is a trifle Lewis Carrol. [...]

Yes, it's distinctively human (which an AI can now be, if you ask it to) and probably not a landlubber.

On 18/11/2023 at 09:46, Puffling said:

Think it's a misspelling of "My horse won't start".

Feed the poor bugger a bag of oats, then. If it won't start then, lead it to water and make sure it drinks.

You can lead a horse to water but it won't necessarily drink anything.

On 17/11/2023 at 19:27, Mangina said:

Hi , my partner died and left me a Thames barge , I have been told that to move her I will need a snorkel or engine replacement. Can anyone offer any advice pls ?

Sorry to hear you have lost your partner. If the engine is inoperative then the only way to move it will be to:

Fix engine where it is.

Pull the boat by hand with ropes.

Get it towed by another boat.

Either way, don't try getting in the water and pushing. Even with a sorkel you will end up swallowing canal/river water which will give you a rather bad tummy or worse. I'm afraid you will need to get a decent assessment from a boatyard that will be able to work on your engine. Alternatively, just sell the barge as a project.

19 minutes ago, Mangina said:

Ok a bilge pumps kneaded yes With a big house I was told ? And pumped overboard 

That’s right but you need to know why water is coming in too otherwise your big hose/ horse or house could just be circulating Thames water. 
im not 100% sure but I believe RCR (river canal rescue)  can do this sort of work and it may save a lot of bother. 

How full of water is the barge? 

15 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

That’s right but you need to know why water is coming in too otherwise your big hose/ horse or house could just be circulating Thames water. 
im not 100% sure but I believe RCR (river canal rescue)  can do this sort of work and it may save a lot of bother. 

How full of water is the barge? 

RCR have/had the contract for raising sunken boats for Canal & River Trust and seem to know their stuff in this regard. All depends how deep the OP's boat is sunk. If completely, then it becomes more complicated, but not impossible. Lifting bags attached, which may need divers to do and inflated to bring it closer to the surface, then big pumps to get the water out. As long as they can pump water out faster than it is getting in, then happy floatation happens. We still need to know more to offer any advice, assuming this isn't a wind up.